Thread: Oil too clean after change? ZD30

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oil too clean after change? ZD30

I have a 2002 ZD30 patrol and its 5000 km since I did a home service (oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter) - which was the first I have done since owning this car. Yesterday I dropped the oil and swapped it out without changing the filter (as I believe the schedule says).

After the previous oil change, the oil was black within 10 minutes of running - which is also my usual experience with older diesels. This time, its hardly changed, pale golden colour after 15k of driving.

Other than the colour, the wagon is driving / sounding great. I did use a Liqui Moly engine oil stop leak 1000 km ago to try and get rid of an annoying mildly weapy timing coler gasket - which didn't work!

Any ideas of why it would be so different this time? I'm super suspicious of things like this. Both changes used Penrite diesel 15.

Cheers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrcorlett For This Useful Post:

TrollinAround (9th February 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the oil is still clean after 15k of driving you have used the wrong oil
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only do 10,000 Klm oil changes in mine ..... 5K is a bit too much in my opinion if you are using decent oil
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has my Spidey senses tingling. Not comfortable about it at all!

Definitely using Penrite Diesel 15 which came out of a penrite product selector and I've seen others use (just went out to the garage to check I bought the right stuff!)

Now 60km of driving and although a little dirtier, it is still much cleaner than expected.

Here is a pic i took with a little sample. Bottom left is virgin stuff from the drum, bottom right is a little I let out by cracking the sump plug, top left is from the dipstick, top right is the old oil taken out.

IMAG0948 (1).jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These motors are definitely not like the older 4.2 Diesels, where the oil turns black instantly .... I have found that the oil stays a nice golden colour for quite a while in comparison.
    Last edited by happygu; 27th November 2017 at 09:05 PM.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Yeti's Beast (27th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    These motors are definitely not like the older 4.2 Diesels, where the oil turns black instantly .... I have found that the oil stays a nice golden colour for quite a while in comparison.
    Totally agree
    My car is the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Penrite HPR15 is what I use, so the oil is ok, the oil actually looks about the same as mine, I have my EGR blocked which helps keep the oil cleaner for longer, is your EGR blocked?
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea if my egr is blocked or not to be honest! is there an easy way to find out?

I had a chat with a bloke at work who is a diesel buff. Recons its relatively normal for a modern-ish engine to take a few 100km to get really dark, and my previous oil change may have been overdue and very mucky, hence turning dark immediately.

Thanks for replies. I shall stop worrying.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why do you use such thick oil. i think standard is 1ow 30 (crd 5w 30). hpr15 is 15w 60, it is considerable thicker, not good for cold starts,fuel economy, can contribute to overheating and can rob power from the motor.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulyg View Post
    Penrite HPR15 is what I use, so the oil is ok, the oil actually looks about the same as mine, I have my EGR blocked which helps keep the oil cleaner for longer, is your EGR blocked?
    The question is really how long have you had the vehicle and is this different to previous oil changes over a period of time. My oil in the Troll takes up to 500km to get dirty and I do changes at 10k's using the same oil. I've
    done 378000 K's now and still get around 10.5l per 100km on long trips with nil oil added between oil changes. The sound of the engine cold is a good way to tell if the oil is good match. the tappets are quiet in the first 5 mins of operation in my experience. Right oil the motor is crisp and smooth wrong oil different beast. My EGR is also blocked after seeing the intake manifold at 230000 and just about needing coronary after care I also fitted a Pro Vent catch can and recommend this too. Glad to hear we are in line for the New Y61 V8 Too!.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast