Thread: Death wobble at 70km/h

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzaboy View Post
    I've posted a number of time regarding the same issue. I've it from new on the original tyres & mags. I've still got it with the 33" BFG muds on steel rims. It nearly got to the point of me selling it because I believe it shouldn't happen on a new 2014 vehicle. Anyway ..... I still have it and enjoy driving it, at times. After doing all the normal checks I've come to the conclusion that it has something to do with the tyres, but I could be wrong.
    If I haven't been driving it for a week or so, I can get in it and drive it at any speed with no wobbles what so ever. However, if I get back into it that afternoon, the wobbles are back, and continue happening until "parked up" for a while again. The wheels have been checked for round and the tyres rotated & balanced many times, along with many wheel alignments. ?????????????????
    That's a real doozie bazz , heard of some strange shit happening to Patrols but that's just weird , if I had to guess I'd be thinking a bush or bearing that when it heats up moves, crushes or distorts in some way .
    That's assuming you've tried different tyres .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    That's a real doozie bazz , heard of some strange shit happening to Patrols but that's just weird , if I had to guess I'd be thinking a bush or bearing that when it heats up moves, crushes or distorts in some way .
    That's assuming you've tried different tyres .
    All bushes & bearing have been checked multiple times and tyres rotated. It did it on another set of MUDS but only slightly on the original mags and standard tyres. I haven't tried a "on car balance" yet, but I will as it's the only thing I haven't done.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try it .... you might be surprised ... I was and an easy fix after spending much $$$$ on craaap that didnt need fixing
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyBUM View Post
    Get front wheels balanced ON car... cheers
    Further to this get some one who knows how to balance 4WD tyres
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the wobbles really bad in my GQ. Had tires rebalanced and refitted multiple times, had wheel bearings adjusted and replaced. My control arm bushed and tierod ends are getting toward the end of their lives but still not too bad.
    In the end though I repacked the swivel hub bearings and removed a shim from all four bearing caps to increase the preload, and the wobbles have gone completely. No shudder or shimmy, and no wobble anywhere anymore. In MY case, it was definitely the swivel hub bearings. Might be worth looking into....
    1992 Nissan Safari Granroad LWB TD42 after market turbo RE4R03A (for now) 3" straight pipe

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Write a check list of every steering, axle and suspension component under the Patrol and tick them off as you get them checked. The lower, Panhard rod bush is common to fail on the Patrol. If you look at one you will see why. A small rubber bush is all it is. They can wear out easily.
    My Patrol had the wobbles. But it disappeared after doing a complete front end overhaul, of bearings and all bushes. Then stupid me thought it would be great to get some nice looking alloys to mount the AT's on. Then it came back, but not as bad. So I live with it.

I think its got a lot to do with the rims. Factory steelies are crap from new. Cheap sunnies wouldn't be any better. I have ROH Sunraysia steelies on my 35's (also were on my 33 AT's) and they have zero wobble. This, the lower panhard rod bush and incorrectly adjusted wheel bearings I think are the key factors. Maybe even tyres, the cheap ones on the market, who knows. Cheap large rubber can't be made that well can they?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (19th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My woobble at 80ks was loose wheel bearings never had a problem since
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Write a check list of every steering, axle and suspension component under the Patrol and tick them off as you get them checked. The lower, Panhard rod bush is common to fail on the Patrol. If you look at one you will see why. A small rubber bush is all it is. They can wear out easily.
    My Patrol had the wobbles. But it disappeared after doing a complete front end overhaul, of bearings and all bushes. Then stupid me thought it would be great to get some nice looking alloys to mount the AT's on. Then it came back, but not as bad. So I live with it.

I think its got a lot to do with the rims. Factory steelies are crap from new. Cheap sunnies wouldn't be any better. I have ROH Sunraysia steelies on my 35's (also were on my 33 AT's) and they have zero wobble. This, the lower panhard rod bush and incorrectly adjusted wheel bearings I think are the key factors. Maybe even tyres, the cheap ones on the market, who knows. Cheap large rubber can't be made that well can they?
    I can see your logic. I also thought the aftermarket steelies I run may have something to do with it, but it dont explain my issue. I have 33" BFG Muds on King rims. I have had the rims checked out and found no issues. A while ago, my tyre shop identified a slightly "out of round tyre" which we thought was causing the wobble issue, but after swapping to the spare, it went away for a while but eventually came back.
    I think my issue is tyres. Maybe just one or two of them. As I have a second vehicle as a daily drive, the Patrol is not used as much as before, and as I said earlier, if the Patrol is not driven for a week or so the problem seems to go away until the tyres are "warmed up". Maybe I have one or two "soft" compound tyres causing the wobbles when hot. It gets all too hard and I get a headache thinking about it.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    My woobble at 80ks was loose wheel bearings never had a problem since
    Yeah you just reminded me John. My wheel bearings kept coming lose. Found out the sub axles had a wear groove where the inner wheel bearing sits against. New stub axles and retentioned bearings and alls good.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

threedogs (24th October 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzaboy View Post
    I can see your logic. I also thought the aftermarket steelies I run may have something to do with it, but it dont explain my issue. I have 33" BFG Muds on King rims. I have had the rims checked out and found no issues. A while ago, my tyre shop identified a slightly "out of round tyre" which we thought was causing the wobble issue, but after swapping to the spare, it went away for a while but eventually came back.
    I think my issue is tyres. Maybe just one or two of them. As I have a second vehicle as a daily drive, the Patrol is not used as much as before, and as I said earlier, if the Patrol is not driven for a week or so the problem seems to go away until the tyres are "warmed up". Maybe I have one or two "soft" compound tyres causing the wobbles when hot. It gets all too hard and I get a headache thinking about it.
    Yeah I think this issue has varied causes from vehicle to vehicle.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (21st October 2017)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast