Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cold weather hiccups

Hey Guys,

Vehicle: RB30, dual fuel, stock carby

Problem: Drives like an absolute bastard on moist days(foggy, cold days etc). Very difficult to start on
    LPG or won't start at all.

It's even difficult to start the engine as well. Drives like an absolute bastard on LPG on moist weather, backfires a fair bit, even after the engine is fully warmed up. It's not that great with petrol either, even though it's slighter 'easier' to start on petrol.

There is a fair bit of white smoke on idling(particularly on moist/wet/foggy/cold days), even after the vehicle is fully warmed up.

I have two 'theories'.

1)Some earth/electrical issue that gets amplified during wet/moist weather
    2)Carby is stuffed & need some heavy work on it or replacement
    3)LPG converter/mixer/cut off solenoid switch/filter faulty(issue is not just on LPG though)
    4)TBA

Any other ideas, leads guys?

Thanx
    Dom
    Last edited by dom14; 3rd July 2017 at 05:46 AM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it have an auto choke? That could be your issue.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle_au For This Useful Post:

dom14 (3rd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle_au View Post
    Does it have an auto choke? That could be your issue.

It is an electric auto choke(Nikki carby)
    Yeah, it's possible. I haven't checked it recently, so I should.
    But, I reckon it's not the case. If the auto choke flaps stay shut, then starting shouldn't be too hard.
    It runs like a biatch both cold and hot engine.
    Having said that, auto choke might need adjustment for a friggin cold & moist winter lately.
    Thanx for the tip and reminder. Two brains are always better than one.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the day i had a few cabied jap cars and the electric choke was always a hassle i almost alway changed them over to a manaul

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to fat mick For This Useful Post:

dom14 (3rd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fat mick View Post
    Back in the day i had a few cabied jap cars and the electric choke was always a hassle i almost alway changed them over to a manaul

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Thought has crossed my mind few million times.
    But, you might have had a chance to scurry through some of my build threads last year and the year before where I spend a considerable amount of time fixing broken auto chokes and documenting the process in here. I kinda perfected the process of restoring stuffed up electric auto chokes.
    I reckon the electric auto choke function on it's own wise, I've done a good job. But, the other things related the auto choke may not be working properly, for example the choke break etc, but I just checked & the choke break diaphragm is in good nick.
    I suspect there are few other issues with the carby due to wear and tear.

Also the preheat plumbing line of the air cleaner intake is not there.
    It is a thermostat controlled hot air connection from exhaust manifold shroud to the air cleaner intake duct.
    But, I don't think that is the issue, 'cos the carby's been running fine in other winters without having the need of that preheat.
    Besides, first half a minute or so of the engine cold start, that air preheat duct isn't much use anyway.
    Last edited by dom14; 3rd July 2017 at 08:18 AM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a good quality working carby to test whether the carby is the real culprit.

Is there a bloke out there with a spare good Nikki carby that I can borrow for a day?
    Or an RB30 bloke that can drop into my joint so I can swap the carby over and cold start mine to see how it goes?

I have couple of RB30/TB42 Nikki carbies, but I can't trust either one of them as they both are old and worn.

I'm in Melbourne outer east. And I can be pretty flexible with time.
    Cheetah Outreach

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, mine runs like a pig too in this weather. I've wound off my electric choke, and am missing the heater grid and heater flap stuff, so I'm not surprised - it's not my daily so it doesn't stress me too much.

What I have noticed though, is that I think my carb ices if I haven't let it warm for long enough. Generally happens if she hasn't warmed much, and I jump on the freeway on these cold cold mornings. After a while at 100kph, she just starts losing power.

It still idles fine though at that point, so it feels like the secondary is closing or something like that. If I pull over for five minutes and just let it idle, I can take off again with it having warmed up, and the issue doesn't re-occur.

If I sit in traffic first, or let it warm up for longer at home (or just go on a more start stop drive first), I don't have the issue. #carbylife

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Throbbinhood For This Useful Post:

dom14 (3rd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbbinhood View Post
    For what it's worth, mine runs like a pig too in this weather. I've wound off my electric choke, and am missing the heater grid and heater flap stuff, so I'm not surprised - it's not my daily so it doesn't stress me too much.

What I have noticed though, is that I think my carb ices if I haven't let it warm for long enough. Generally happens if she hasn't warmed much, and I jump on the freeway on these cold cold mornings. After a while at 100kph, she just starts losing power.

It still idles fine though at that point, so it feels like the secondary is closing or something like that. If I pull over for five minutes and just let it idle, I can take off again with it having warmed up, and the issue doesn't re-occur.

If I sit in traffic first, or let it warm up for longer at home (or just go on a more start stop drive first), I don't have the issue. #carbylife
    Yours is slightly less complicated to pin point the issue 'cos it's pety only as oppose to mine.

You symptoms above(losing power after well warmed up) can be either due to intake sucking in the too moist air or it can be the mixture leaning due to faulty fuel return valve. But, afaict, RB30 fuel return valve is pretty good. It's controlled by an engine revolution sensor unit under the dash(kicks in when the rpm get to 1500-2000).

In mine, heater grid and flap are all in good nick as intended in the stock setup. Only thing's missing is the directional cup under the carby(inside the intake manifold) & the aircleaner preheat plumbing duct from the exhaust manifold shroud. I can't do much about the carby/manifold directional cup 'cos it was shattered into pieces late 2015 for some weird reason. I can put back the aircleaner preheat duct back(I would need an aluminium duct to join it to the air cleaner duct/pipe), but I don't think it can make much of a difference. We hardly get any really cold weather in Melbourne. Those preheat duct setups are mainly for sub zero freezing temperatures, which we usually don't get here. I think the carby is an absolute bastard to start with. I might have to bite the bullet and get a new carby. It's that I can't justify that much money for a carby, when I can put that money and add another couple of hundred bucks to get a good EFI engine. I'm also suspecting the LPG converter for LPG running like crap. I think the converter either need a rebuild kit through it or a new replacement. Mixer looks good, but I've heard that looks probably not the best way to judge the wear and tear of the mixer. Problem for me is that my Impco 300A mixer looks spotless and no rips or tears in the diaphragms.
    I've seen raggedy looking mixers of the same model number running like a purring cat.

It's better to diagnose it rather than throwing a grand worth parts at it, to find out the problem's still there. And I like diagnosing it myself. That's the other problem.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would still suspect the auto choke as that would effect both petrol and LPG.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle_au For This Useful Post:

dom14 (3rd July 2017)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post

You symptoms above(losing power after well warmed up)
    Nah, it's more that it loses power if I don't warm it up enough before hitting the freeway (freeway is about two minutes from my place). Never have the issue if it's been sitting warming up at home, or if I run a couple of errands in it first.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast