Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,686 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacement Alternator from the US

When I did the conversion the engine came with a 105Amp alternator, at the time I had a Warn 15000lb electric on the back of the patrol and wanted some more grunt, so replaced it with a 300amp unit from the USA. The unit fitted without issue and has been reliable, until last week the volts died. Trip to the Auto Elec after some over the phone diagnostics from @matfew, and turned out the volt regulator had given up the ghost. Easy, pls replace it - Nope not a single unit in the country. I ended up having to import both the voltage reg for the 300 and I wanted a spear for the 105 as well, and yes , not one in the country.
    So the lesson I guess is if you go down the path of importing gear you need to ensure the spares are avail. If this had happened in the middle of the high country or the desert it would have been very stressful.Alternator 1.jpgAlternator 2.jpg
    The Reg for the 105 arrived in 5 days ex USA, still waiting on the 300.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Stropp (15th March 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are alternatives to buying regulators. 4-5 years ago I found a youtube clip which included circuit drawings to build a universal type regulator. It is a simple circuit to build. I am pretty sure you could double or triple up on the transistors and should be able to run any rotor out there.

This is not the video but it shows a very basic type as a start.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7oFEcDQzo

I built half a dozen units that could run nippondenso, bosch or even the newer aftermarket branded ones. They can be remotely mounted, so could theoretically be waterprooofed. They work really well. Buggered if I can find them now, though. The expensive bits are the heat sinks and the tube of heat conducting paste.

The ones I built included the trio of small diodes, so it was just a matter of soldering or connecting to the windings and the brushes. I will have another search tomorrow.
    Last edited by mudnut; 25th February 2024 at 09:52 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (25th February 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    There are alternatives to buying regulators. 4-5 years ago I found a youtube clip which included circuit drawings to build a universal type regulator. It is a simple circuit to build. I am pretty sure you could double or triple up on the transistors you should be able to run any rotor out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI7oFEcDQzo
    Thanks Muddy. I also run what is called a Quicktifer which has additional rectifiers in it to spread the load and the heat from charging and then the under bonnet heat. I run a unit that is rated at 420amps capacity, they work well but the voltage reg still failed for whatever reason - I mean its a replacement part pretty common on an alternator. Annoying thing it had only done maybe 500klm.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    300 amps alt is OEM for some vehicle or is it something aftermarket?
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    the voltage reg still failed for whatever reason - I mean its a replacement part pretty common on an alternator. Annoying thing it had only done maybe 500klm.
    I found that running an alternator with an open circuit in the system quickly destroys the regulator. Double check all your connections and terminals.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

pollenface (15th March 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I found that running an alternator with an open circuit in the system quickly destroys the regulator. Double check all your connections and terminals.
    OK, have replaced the alternator that died with a spare, same connections exactly and everything is fine, who knows?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    300 amps alt is OEM for some vehicle or is it something aftermarket?
    Its OEM in the Chev world USA apparently. They need power for all their hair dryers and dildos they drive around sitting on.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (27th February 2024), MB (26th February 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to order spare regulators for the 105amp, back up alternator and 300amp duty alternator. Regulators were cheap, $45USD each, so ordered 2 off each. Freight, horrendous, $90USD for a box the weight of a pack of cigarettes x 2.

Yeah well, you guessed it, the wrong regs have turned up. I must have run over a chinaman and walked under too many ladders, this is becoming painful in the extreme. You would have thought sending photos of the regs showing shape size and the part number stencilled on the back would be adequate - nope. I now have 3 regs for th 105amp unit - the spare, and none for the 300amp unit.
    Onto the next lemon resolution plan!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always thought of mounting a small generator on the roof for times of high electrical loads to assist alternator.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollenface View Post
    I've always thought of mounting a small generator on the roof for times of high electrical loads to assist alternator.
    I think there was a surge in this type of approach in the 1970's in the USA motorhome industry where people were driving down the highway with wind generator mounted on their rooftops. Unsure what the outcome was, probably outlawed as too dangerous for low flying badger crickets or the like.
    I have always thought about walking to tasmania but never took the plunge - maybe next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast