User Tag List

Thread: Help with turbo noise please

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with turbo noise please

So I've had this loud turbo noise since I bought my gu3 but it is a lot louder after fitting a 2.75" Beaudesert exhaust and Dawes and needle valve. It's a loud "bboooooo" noise when I get off the throttle.... It's hard to describe but if you search YouTube for - nissan patrol failing/broken turbine - that's the same noise my car makes.

I'd appreciate any information about a cause or solution as the mechanic I took my car to today said the turbo was fine.....

Why doesn't it make that nice whistle sound like other patrols???

Hopefully some one can point me in the right direction?

Brendan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    GUlll ST-L, DUAL BATTERIES, WAECO 50L, DRAWERS, SNORKEL, MAGS, BEAUDESERT EXHAUST, AFTER MARKET RECOVERY POINTS, GAUGES, AFTERMARKET INTERCOOLER, SPOTTIES........

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brendan I wouldn't be too concerned mate. My old 3Ltr used to make a similar sound. The "bboooooo" noise off the throttle you get. Liken this to the typical sound of a waste gated turbo, say like on a TD42 or a Suby WRX. Lol. Not quite a WRX though.... Its louder after a bigger zorst only because the sound can resonate more easily down the larger pipe. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound mate. Being a variable vane turbo, and not having a waste gate, the sound will be slightly different to what you may think it should be.
    The nice whistle, well most variable vane turbo Patrols, in the 3Litre form, won't have that distinctive whistle. Some will have a whistle, but this is because they are more than likely running a bigger free flowing intake system, a straight through no cat no muffler 3 inch diameter exhaust. This will make them whistle more than normal.
    If you want "the whistle", put a TD42 or RD28 in it.
    But there is nothing wrong with your truck mate.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

AB (20th December 2016), MudRunnerTD (20th December 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Brendan I wouldn't be too concerned mate. My old 3Ltr used to make a similar sound. The "bboooooo" noise off the throttle you get. Liken this to the typical sound of a waste gated turbo, say like on a TD42 or a Suby WRX. Lol. Not quite a WRX though.... Its louder after a bigger zorst only because the sound can resonate more easily down the larger pipe. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the sound mate. Being a variable vane turbo, and not having a waste gate, the sound will be slightly different to what you may think it should be.
    The nice whistle, well most variable vane turbo Patrols, in the 3Litre form, won't have that distinctive whistle. Some will have a whistle, but this is because they are more than likely running a bigger free flowing intake system, a straight through no cat no muffler 3 inch diameter exhaust. This will make them whistle more than normal.
    If you want "the whistle", put a TD42 or RD28 in it.
    But there is nothing wrong with your truck mate.
    Thanks mate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    GUlll ST-L, DUAL BATTERIES, WAECO 50L, DRAWERS, SNORKEL, MAGS, BEAUDESERT EXHAUST, AFTER MARKET RECOVERY POINTS, GAUGES, AFTERMARKET INTERCOOLER, SPOTTIES........