Thread: Turbo Upgrades for the GUIV TD42Ti

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @MudRunnerTD

Apart from the minor hiccup how did it go on its maiden voyage?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th January 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    @MudRunnerTD Apart from the minor hiccup how did it go on its maiden voyage?
    Just spoke to him on phone, he hates it, performed horrible in the sand and is putting the ht18 back on.

Wants to flog it off quick for $650 so he can buy these new car seats for his back...
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Clunk (8th January 2017), Maxhead (8th January 2017), MudRunnerTD (8th January 2017), Rossco (8th January 2017), rusty_nail (8th January 2017), Stropp (9th January 2017), Winnie (8th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Just spoke to him on phone, he hates it, performed horrible in the sand and is putting the ht18 back on.

Wants to flog it off quick for $650 so he can buy these new car seats for his back...
    I'll buy it 😉 . . .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @MudRunnerTD

Apart from the minor hiccup how did it go on its maiden voyage?
    Well the verdict is in...... Bloody Awesome! its a New Car! Seriously.

THE BEST MOD I HAVE DONE TO THE CAR...HANDS DOWN!!

How did it go?? Well towing the fully loaded camper was a Breeze! Stress Free. Temps were good. EGTs were Great. Power was amazing. Towed comfortably at 115km/h and overtook on a roll on to 125km/h in 35degrees with ease. Simply a Different car!

Here is my first post from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    OK Guys, I am in the market for a Turbo for the GU and keen to hear what everyone thinks will work for me.

So I'm keen to find a little more power. Control the heat and EGTs and give me good power for towing the camper.

Options I am seriously considering include
    • Cross Country Ultimate intercooler
    • Mamba 18g 6cm I think?
    • UFI 18g 6cm I think?
    • Borg Warner something???
    • Swapping diff ratios to 4.3s from 3.9s ( anyone have any they want to sell?)
    • Hi flow injectors
    • Inline pump.

Is 18g X 6cm the right setup? I understand it will boost fairly early so good for towing.

I'm keen Not to upgrade the pump. I might need a clutch though?

Hoping to see somewhere around 140 to 160 rwkw. Currently pushing about 95rwkw

Cheers guys
    What i really wanted was to be able to Tow the Camper and Hit the Beach and not stress that i was running for 5 hours with the EGT gauge at 550C!!

I have absolutely fulfilled this wish.

As well as the Borg Warner i have fitted a Brand new radiator, a hi output fan, a Hi output JPC Water Pump and a Hi flow low temp thermostat.

When i hit the beach it was a dream come true guys. OMG!! This thing is a Beast. in previous years id be straight into Low range and use 3rd 4th and 5th all day. No Chance! I was in Hi range the whole trip really. It just Ate the sand.

So 2000rpm seems to be the weak link as it had previously been. Trying to pull at 2000rpm before this turbo would see the EGTs bounce out the top. 550c easy, 600c no problem although i tried desperately to avoid this from happening. With the new Turbo if i am trying to pull hard in a hi gear at 2000rpm (Say 4th gear at 80km/h on the beach) i can raise the EGTs to 550c, but back off and its down to 500c. Drop back to 3rd at 3200rpm and it drops back to 420c immediately and purrs! This was not really a problem to be honest it was just that was the cruising speed for parts of my Murray Mouth Run.

So i did the Mouth of the Murray River run, 170kms each way on the beach. Hard beach, Soft Beach. Deep as Fark Beach!! I led 5 cars and just soaked it up. seriously! this thing was awesome. No Shit! can't believe how good it is!

I had a mate with me with a GUIII TD42Ti looking for an upgrade to tow a 3t van around Australia, he was very interested. He was stock as a rock, 2' lift and 4.1 diffs. I have 3.9 diffs so he has the advantage. I lined him up on the beach! from a standing start in Hi4 1st gear we gave it a run. I immediately launched and left him standing! by second gear i had 5 cars on him.! WOW. middle of 3rd i blew my intercooler hose off and that was that. Very Impressive. and this gave me some perspective as to how big this upgrade really is!.

I will certainly benefit from a 4.1 diff centre swap and that is now very high on the list. This would also solve that 2000rpm issue mentioned above.

I have not yet refitted the heat shield. Damn it!! i blew the intercooler hoses off no less than 6 or 7 times on the return leg of the Murray run. This event is the interlude to a bigger intercooler that will not blow hoses so it was timely A better intercooler would drop my Beach cruising EGT of 420c probably down to 370c or even less and that is magic and would be worth the investment.

I got very bogged 3 times on the Murray trip. each time i was helping a stranger. each time i self recovered. each time they were very bogged and needed a decent recovery. The GUIV delivered the power each time to drag very bogged cars out of the heavy sands.

Do i need more power to fulfil my requirements?? NO! this thing is Epic!

I am relaxed when driving and not stressed, i got used to being able to overtake and not worry about running out of road or winding up enough momentum.

So Diff Gears and intercooler for EGT control are on the list now. The fact that each of these changes will give me a performance gain too is a true Bonus.

I have No Hesitation in recommending this setup to anyone looking for a rejuvenated TD42Ti tuned for reliability, safety, Power and longevity.

Matty! Your a bloody Legend mate!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

gubigfish (9th January 2017), Hodge (9th January 2017), jff45 (10th January 2017), Stropp (9th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah but do you like it though?

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Bacho86 (8th January 2017), gubigfish (9th January 2017), Hodge (9th January 2017), MudRunnerTD (8th January 2017), Stropp (9th January 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Took it around the block today without the camper and completely unloaded of gear after spending the better part of yesterday de salting and de sanding the bloody thing! Sand in everything!!

It's so chirpy in 1st and 2nd. Plenty of go!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th January 2017), Stropp (9th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How did the economy fair?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How did the economy fair?
    I used 6lts more on the Mouth of the Murray run which was 340kms on the beach than the 100 series TD and 8 its more than a 76 V8 Cruiser dual cab. i used a total of 116lts for the run up the beach. Note that i have fitted the lift pump producing 6psi of fuel pressure and this has created a leak in my Donaldson Fuel filter assembly which might see me strip the system off completely. that has got to be worth 4lts of that usage i reckon.

So Bloody Good!!

No idea around town and have not driven it without a load yet.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Turbo Upgrades for the GUIV TD42Ti

Just a little update, I have not made any changes to the car but drove it today Towing a tandem with a motorbike onboard for a ride in the bush.

A good testing ground for me is the Geelong ring Rd. It has a number of epic hill climbs that used to see me go down to 4th early and even grab 3rd on occasion to control EGT temps off the chart. Today I traveled the road in both direction with the trailer, both ways has a huge hill.

I held 5th @ 105km/h the whole way and caught myself speeding at 115km/h a couple of times. Just so relaxed.

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 18th June 2017 at 03:52 PM.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (18th June 2017), gubigfish (18th June 2017), Hodge (28th November 2018), mudski (19th June 2017), nissannewby (18th June 2017), Rossco (18th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,783 Times in 2,037 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that the bypass around Geelong. There decent hills.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Page 40 of 64 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast