The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle_au View Post
    Don't rule out the ZD's. Despite the problems with some, there are still a lot more that haven't blown up. I have a ZD in a 2002 Elgrand 4x4 and did a lot of research into the problem. A decent catch can to keep oil out of the inlet tract is 90% of the solution. Adjust the turbo to limit max boost, especially if a larger exhaust is fitted as the turbo will spool quicker and overshoot. Also I run a bluetooth consult scanner and NDS1 app on android tablet to monitor various ECU parameters.
    Besides if he really wants to experience the fourby bug he has to spend half his time under the bonnet.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    Yes you are somewhat correct but for someone who is on a budget, and after their first 4by, I wouldn't be taking the risk. Unless they are full aware of the chances and are prepare to deal with what may happen. Yeah the ZD is a bloody good little motor, I had one. They drive well, tow o.k and are pretty good on fuel. There's just too many risks for a first time buyer in my opinion. If the buyer is set on a GU, and diesel, I would go the slower 2.8. These have their own share of issues, what 4by doesn't, but they are less costly. I think cracking heads was one issue. IF he were to buy a RD28, the first thing I would do is remove and change over the harmonic balancer bolt, washer and key ways. Regardless of the condition. These are prone to letting go and destroying the crank.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

mudnut (11th April 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yes you are somewhat correct but for someone who is on a budget, and after their first 4by, I wouldn't be taking the risk. Unless they are full aware of the chances and are prepare to deal with what may happen. Yeah the ZD is a bloody good little motor, I had one. They drive well, tow o.k and are pretty good on fuel. There's just too many risks for a first time buyer in my opinion. If the buyer is set on a GU, and diesel, I would go the slower 2.8. These have their own share of issues, what 4by doesn't, but they are less costly. I think cracking heads was one issue. IF he were to buy a RD28, the first thing I would do is remove and change over the harmonic balancer bolt, washer and key ways. Regardless of the condition. These are prone to letting go and destroying the crank.
    Or be lucky and find a ZD with known history and mods already done. Thats where buying from club members can be useful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle_au For This Useful Post:

mudski (2nd January 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle_au View Post
    Or be lucky and find a ZD with known history and mods already done. Thats where buying from club members can be useful.

Yeah I bought my ZD, rebuilt. It had done 70k on the new motor when I bought it. Every possible mod was fitted straight away. 150k later the injector pump went, so I pulled the motor out. The head was removed, only to find number four piston was cracked and ready to let go.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is a risk, buying any used vehicle, but the ZD is too highly strung anyway.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get a yota GU,s are to frisky for a learner

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

mudnut (2nd January 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Roofy View Post
    get a yota GU,s are to frisky for a learner
    Blasphemy!!!!! Wash your mouth out!

Craig there is plenty of 3Ltrs going around with 350plus on them. Yeah the 3Ltr is a risk, but maybe its more heard of because there is literally one 3ltr per head in OZ. Lol. Theres bucket loads of them. So your gonna hear more horror stories naturally. But yeah I still thinks its a bit of a risk. Only if it had a very new motor in it I would consider one.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

mudnut (2nd January 2017), Yeti's Beast (11th April 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig there is plenty of 3Ltrs going around with 350plus on them. Yeah the 3Ltr is a risk, but maybe its more heard of because there is literally one 3ltr per head in OZ. Lol. Theres bucket loads of them. So your gonna hear more horror stories naturally. But yeah I still thinks its a bit of a risk. Only if it had a very new motor in it I would consider one.
    All true but he's on a tight budget and I know what that is like

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it were me and I realise it isn't but if it was.............. then I'd be looking at a rather nice GQ TD42 or get a nice TB42E for aroind 5-6k and keep the rest of the money for fuel and mods........ I miss my auto TB42E

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree, our Patrol is pushing 360k and never been touched besides it's first new clutch 20k ago
    Admittedly I got mine cheap off my sister for $5k but it's pulled a 17.6 van around oz and done countless trips from Adelaide and Melb (hence the high K's)
    All second hand cars are a risk and even new ones ( won't talk about my Triton)
    I'm worried about doing any engine mods because it's gone this far without a problem.
    Best advise is drive several brands and buy one he is comfortable in that's unmolested and has a history.
    I loved my 100 series V8 petrol, best car to drive and great on the sand, unfortunately I don't own a service station and it was costing too much to run 500k to and from work each week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes it is the luck of the draw, but the ZD30 is such a temperamental beast. I will let him know that a Q with a TD42 is within his budget. Cheers Blokes.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast