Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Westy's trip to the top

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting reading everyone's responses, just go's to show we all travel differently ! We have a basic plan of where we want to go , we never book ahead in the outback , I want to be able to relax and enjoy ( we are normally on a four week time frame )with the outback being what it is things can change in a hurry, weather road closures etc .
    On the kid side of things we let them decide when we are stopping for a day or 2 , if they aren't happy the whole trip will be unhappy !

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,651 Times in 3,120 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Coward Springs is a good over night stop on the way up mate. Hot Springs. Showers. Clean Camp site. Not Big.

Argibukina Bridge is also a great stop.
    Will check them out..
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    It is always good to have a plan because you need to know where you want to get to, and how much time you have to spend, but add in some flexibility too, as when you talk to fellow travellers they will tell you about great spots you never heard of before you left, having some flexibility helps to accommodate this new information into the schedule, and there is nothing worse than finding a fantastic spot, to leave cause you 'have to stay on plan' and drive 80 k's up the road to the next spot you 'have to camp at', and find it totally full, trashed, or horrible. If you find a great spot, and everyone is happy, a bit of flexibility means that you can stay an extra night, and enjoy it.

As you have the kids with you, you will need to plan for down days anyway, as the kids won't want to travel 400 k's every day for 5 weeks. If you schedule in some Rest Days along the way ( 3 or 4 ), then these can be used to stay longer at fantastic spots, or give the kids a bit of a break from the constant travel.
    Yea planning to have 4 extended stops..
    Ularu the first, then lake argyle, Litchfield and then kakadu if we make it..
    Still planning on doing finke, chambers pillars and Lamberts center on the trek home but again not critical.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When touring with my kids i have a Rule. we Eat on the move. When we stop for a Lunch break it is for Movement. get out, run to the top of that sand dune. whatever you like. No sitting in the car. No Electronics. Enjoy. make their lunch and they eat when they get back in the car and your rolling again.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th November 2016), gaddy (9th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When touring with my kids i have a Rule. we Eat on the move. When we stop for a Lunch break it is for Movement. get out, run to the top of that sand dune. whatever you like. No sitting in the car. No Electronics. Enjoy. make their lunch and they eat when they get back in the car and your rolling again.
    See we are all different, once on the dirt we are early risers, start rolling early get a couple of hours in stop about 9 for about a hour , give the rig a once over while the mrs makes breaky/brunch kids burn around, stop again at lunch for another hour or so , give the vehicle another once over kids burn around again , finish the day around 3 or 4 , works for us and is the reason we travel solo , i hate schedules 😉

If ya not using it buy a prius .....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddy View Post
    the reason we travel solo , i hate schedules 😉

We are alike ....
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Another reason I don't like to plan is that you will meet so many travelers and grey nomads on the road who will give you ideas of places to check out. We found some really amazing places which we would have missed if we stuck to a plan.
    Anyway you will have a ball and good on ya for taking the plunge.

Just remember it is very addictive and you most probably will not want to come back. If that's the case sell everything and keep going

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coward Springs is a good over night stop on the way up mate. Hot Springs. Showers. Clean Camp site. Not Big.

Argibukina Bridge is also a great stop.
    Just looked these up.
    We've dropped onnadatta from this trip mate.
    Bitumen to Ularu via Glendambo, Coober Pedy and Marla
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ive never travelled to a plan as so many things can change, stopping for a bit of fishing may turn into
    2-3 days of trophy fish. A simple walk to some waterfalls may lead to more days exploring the area.
    Throw the alarm clock away youre on holidays arent you, Just go and most of all enjoy, Uluru is very expensive
    you used to be able to get PPLs passes at the servo at the turn off as the 4 day pass was too long for some.
    They may have knocked that on the head, others may know more, sounds like a great trip lol
    Last edited by threedogs; 10th November 2016 at 12:36 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (10th November 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Ive never travelled to a plan as so many things can change, stopping for a bit of fishing may turn into
    2-3 days of trophy fish. A simple walk to some waterfalls may lead to more days exploring the area.
    Throw the alarm clock away youre on holidays arent you, Just go and most of all enjoy, Ularu is very expensive
    you used to be able to get PPLs passes at the servo at the turn off as the 4 day pass was too long for some.
    They may have knocked that on the head, others may know more, sounds like a great trip lol
    Ey TD good to see you about again.
    Yea I'd love to do a unplanned trip, but this one needs some guidelines with work commitments and school..
    Later on we'll just set off with no plans.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

threedogs (10th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 weeks is plenty of time to 'hang loose'. When are you going?
    Welcome back TD.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast