Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm stranded - 4.8 blew a radiator apart and then hole in replacement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Crack the radiator cap so it can't build any pressure on the rest of the drive.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

SpecialDave (12th July 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Greensborough / sunshine / Aspendale. Kind of homeless at the mo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks legends and you are - all legends!!

I made it just - freeway was fine but as soon as slow to corner etc up she went. I ended up running a couple of mostly ambers but i did have my orange flashing light on the roof going and there was no traffic at all so I feel like it was on the border of ok.

I didn't let it cook on the way home but there's a suspicious oil smell that requires investigation - think I maybe looking at mechanic as I don't have the time to do a diy this time.

Selling a house that I pay for but am not allowed to live in and going through divorce with a little fella to consider (whom I see as regularly as is possible and ultimately will be 50:50) and a job that is driving me bonkers but I've been there 5 1/2 years so 18 months and long service if I can manage to hang on! It's all a fair whack!

Any newbies reading this take note, being a top bloke (or person to be non gender specific) is a simple as contributing and sharing and helping out when, where and how you can, it eventually comes back. when needed it most like tonight the lads came through for me and I was at the end of my emotional and mental capacity to take life's shit too... The lesson I learnt through all the crap is put my damn pride aside and ask for help if I need it. There's no shame in asking for help - the shame would be to not be greatful and reciprocate when you get the chance.

Thanks again I owe you all a beer or 6!

5. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to SpecialDave For This Useful Post:

AB (12th July 2016), BigRAWesty (12th July 2016), Cuppa (12th July 2016), Hodge (12th July 2016), jack (12th July 2016), macca (12th July 2016), mudnut (12th July 2016), MudRunnerTD (12th July 2016), mudski (12th July 2016), Rossco (12th July 2016), Sir Roofy (12th July 2016), threedogs (12th July 2016), Touses (12th July 2016), Winnie (12th July 2016), Woof (12th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,774 Times in 2,034 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save yourself a few dollars and start with the simple ones first. Throw the thermostat in a pot of boiling water and put it in a bowl of cold water do it a couple of times and see it open and close, if that works ok fill up radiator with some water and put a new radiator cap on. If it still no good yes, you have some problems.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialDave View Post
    Thanks legends and you are - all legends!!
    I didn't let it cook on the way home but there's a suspicious oil smell that requires investigation - think I maybe looking at mechanic as I don't have the time to do a diy this time.
    Don't like the sound of that, could be something else certainly hope it is for your sake.
    Cheers
    Macca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chucked it into a pot of cold water and slowly brought it to boil the thermo wasn't touching the pot, it was suspended and completely submerged - it no do nuffing!

I think it's cactus - I'll replace with a genuine anyone know of a place either port Melbourne or sunshine or in between the 2 that would stock?
    02 GU3 Dual Fl Y61 4.8 Auto. 3"OME, Snorkel, roof tray, Dual Batt, CB, d8r winch, ledlightco bar, fact steel BB, Elec Tow. hid spots, rvrs & tow cams, rear door rattle fix, saas dual volt gauge, mostly fin cust dash pod, ludicrous work lights. TO DO: convert headlights - led? rear tails, full overhaul trannie & engine. rear storage. door table. O/h interior storage, Paint Matt black. Bash guards. Side rails. Roof ladder. Awning.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,774 Times in 2,034 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialDave View Post
    I chucked it into a pot of cold water and slowly brought it to boil the thermo wasn't touching the pot, it was suspended and completely submerged - it no do nuffing!

I think it's cactus - I'll replace with a genuine anyone know of a place either port Melbourne or sunshine or in between the 2 that would stock?
    The only one that I know that has genuine would be Mr Nissan or maybe @mudski.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

SpecialDave (12th July 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't look good from what you have discribed. If your smelling oil in the radiator and it was running hot on a cold evening with the thermostat removed, then I would say you have a blown cylinder head gasket or a cracked head. Probably caused from the faulty thermostat you tested. If your going to change the gasket yourself, have the head checked by an automotive machine shop to make sure there is no damage.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nichw91 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (12th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The oil smell wasn't from rad, not even from head more either old spill or old leak towards the trannie and I thoroughly checked there's no water in the oil so head gasket seems sound - when I was doing freeway driving it stayed at temp no prob it was stop start that sent the needle north and a head gasket etc would have boiled regardless of speed and airflow so I'm hopeful a thermostat replacement will fix it..

I hope
    02 GU3 Dual Fl Y61 4.8 Auto. 3"OME, Snorkel, roof tray, Dual Batt, CB, d8r winch, ledlightco bar, fact steel BB, Elec Tow. hid spots, rvrs & tow cams, rear door rattle fix, saas dual volt gauge, mostly fin cust dash pod, ludicrous work lights. TO DO: convert headlights - led? rear tails, full overhaul trannie & engine. rear storage. door table. O/h interior storage, Paint Matt black. Bash guards. Side rails. Roof ladder. Awning.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialDave For This Useful Post:

macca (12th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good luck mate, certainly sounds like the Thermostat is knackered. any Bursons or Repco should sell an after market job if you want to save some cash. There is a Repco in Sunshine on the corner of Andersons Rd near the Cop Shop. Good luck mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a thought . might pay to check the radiator fan is working properly .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast