The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,335 Times in 6,450 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Hi all. Thinking of getting the V5 from MDC and was just wondering if there has been any changes to the quality. The last previous post on this was Oct 2014, so any updates. Mudski - all good now or still fixing things?
    Dont buy one mate. Rays have dropped the line of MDC campers. They soon realised how shite they are... well actually i will say this again. They are a good trailer, built well, mine has oodles of storage. They just throw the trailers together without a care. All the eff' ups on my trailer are from whoever assembled it.
    I thought i had fixed all issues, but found another. Coming back from our easter trip we pulled into a small town for lunch and a car pulls up behind us. The chap gets out and says he noticed my trailer tracks slightly to one side of the car. I had seen ghis in the mirrors but just thought it was the angle of the mirror to the trailer.
    So i get home and run a piece of wood across the guard of the trailer. I have found the axle is not exactly 90 degrees to the trailer. Explains the trailer tracking to one side.
    So another thing to fix....
    I do contract work for the SCA group, Supercheap, BCF, Rays etc etc. I have bumped into quite a few disgruntled MDC owners now who come into the stores. All have said the same thing, trailer is built pretty good but put together by a 2 year old. And all have said the same about the after sales service. Rude and appalling.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (14th June 2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,128 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friends of ours just bought one. I laughed at him and maybe offended him but silly him for not researching and he got sucked into the sales pitch..
    They stated all damage was mainly caused by delivery companies. Bahahahaha.
    Anyway they paid top dollar for the "first 2015 black" pro whatever it is.
    Tbh.... It looks like a cheap black trailer with a tent on it.
    They still use a cheap cramp imported tent setup which is crap.
    They only pivot 2 roof supports from the trailer.
    My olds camper had 3 and the father Inlaw modded his now to swing 3 from the trailer.
    That leaves only one roof support (end wall) to be erected manually.
    Windows only open from the outside. That's a pain.
    Inlaws is a chinese camper around 5 years old. Canvas seals are letting go.

Anyway. If it was me and your looking at budget Id by a second hand quality one for sure. There is a wicked one down here atm and they can't move it.
    They are watching cheap ones go for $500 less. If your interested I'll get some details to you
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (14th June 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    years ago, I had a Jayco Cub Swan......... pushup roof, slide out beds....... pretty much one of the first of that type
    had it for years and years, when I needed parts for it, as Robbo said - Jayco dont hold spares for them for very long, and I couldn't afford the $$$$ aftermarket were charging, so I made what I needed myself......

got out of camping for a few years, kids were growing up, life was getting in the way, holiday camping time was over - (went camping Via Sheraton & Flag motor Inns)
    once the kids were gone, I thought, "hey I wanna go camping again...."

so started the long process (2.5 years) of looking at :-
    swags - SWMBO was not impressed
    Tents - we started that way before the kids came along...... SWMBO was not impressed
    Camper Trailers -
    started at the real cheap end.... wasn't big enough, maybe a few $$$ more.......
    mid priced ones - didnt like the layouts, or the tent material, or the size,maybe a few $$$ more........
    horribly expensive for what you get ones - its a tent on a trailer for Fooks sake, for a few $$$ more, I can get a Camper Van

righto

Camper Vans :-
    fold up Cub types - too small, maybe a few $$$ more,
    Jayco types - hmmmm not bad thank you, now to find the size and style we like
    for only a few ($2000.00) more than the top of the wazza Camper Trailer, I brought a 1 year old Flamingo Outback
    I had this for 5 years, and did numerous trips around WA
    when I sold it, I lost $2000.00 on the deal from what I paid
    I upgraded 2 years ago into a Jayco Expanda Outback, and have never looked back

yes I know of people with heaps of problems with their Jayco's from new
    but Jayco's after sales service is second to NONE in the industry - ring them up, tell them the problem, they send you to a repairer, and its fixed, even when its out of warranty (as long as its design fault),
    I have heard of people with the same problems as Mudski - crap wiring, crap in the water tanks, etc - and they have been fixed no problemo

when we looked at the Expanda, we also looked at the Windsor Rapid
    better fittings, crappy colours, better built, heavier, and $10K dearer

I'm happy with my Expanda, it ticks all the boxes for me - maybe not everyone, but I brought it for me............

same as Mudski - he brought what would suit his needs, unfortunately MDC have a bad rap for build quality, after sales service, and product - but he is fixing his problems to make it better.

my advice is
    if you know how to, and can fix things - buyer beware
    if you know sod all, and cant boil an egg - buyer beware
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (14th June 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by biggqwesty View Post
    Friends of ours just bought one. I laughed at him and maybe offended him but silly him for not researching and he got sucked into the sales pitch..
    They stated all damage was mainly caused by delivery companies. Bahahahaha.
    Anyway they paid top dollar for the "first 2015 black" pro whatever it is.
    Tbh.... It looks like a cheap black trailer with a tent on it.
    They still use a cheap cramp imported tent setup which is crap.
    They only pivot 2 roof supports from the trailer.
    My olds camper had 3 and the father Inlaw modded his now to swing 3 from the trailer.
    That leaves only one roof support (end wall) to be erected manually.
    Windows only open from the outside. That's a pain.
    Inlaws is a chinese camper around 5 years old. Canvas seals are letting go.

Anyway. If it was me and your looking at budget Id by a second hand quality one for sure. There is a wicked one down here atm and they can't move it.
    They are watching cheap ones go for $500 less. If your interested I'll get some details to you
    I would have a look at the details if its on internet - but a bit far from me to actually buy it I reckon. Thanks for the info though, as I said in my post I thought they may have lifted their game since the last post but it appears not.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've had my MDC XT10 for over a year now.
    Have had no problems with after sales service here in WA, indeed would rate it pretty high actually.

When an axle failed at Docker River on it's maiden voyage MDC went all out to get me back on the road ASAP, organised the freight etc from Perth/Adelaide/Yulara and paid the Yulara repairer direct.
    When I got back to Perth they removed all the original suspension completely and fitted a complete new (and much better) version.

Agree with comments about assembly, it is a kinda rocks or diamonds scenario but is def improving.
    I was in the showroom the other day and most of the "rocks" I know about on mine have been improved on the new ones.

A few of my fellow Clubbies have MDC trailers now and seem OK with them but I guess the best comment I can make is they are what you pay for.
    You won't get a $70,000 off road awesomely put together trailer, say, Kimberley standard construction for $35,000.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (14th June 2015), mudski (14th June 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your a lucky man ET. They have a really bad rep here in Melbourne. Buy you do get what you pay for. Ive spent a fair bit on mine since the purchace of it, so now its even better than new. I just need to fix the axle issue before the next trip.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had an issue with water leaking into the top seal and caused mould to grow all over the tent, the Perth dealer has completely replaced all of the canvas components with new tent and all others. Have not checked it since as I have been over East for a while, will check it when I return and then I will be selling it as it is way too big for me now.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm seems the western distributors for MDC actually care about their customers once they have made the purchase. Thats a good thing....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Hmm seems the western distributors for MDC actually care about their customers once they have made the purchase. Thats a good thing....
    Yeah, agree with you there.

I found the S.A. MDC guys very easy to deal with when they had to act as middlemen to get the gear to Yulara to fix mine as well but cannot comment on service issues with them.
    Brissy head office seemed good but can be very hard to get the right person so I found email best but still have to wait a while if they are out on the road

I've also spent a lot of time on mine changing things to suit like replacing a fasteners with longer ones or Stainless and the stone guard doesn't suit my Ute so I'll get a custom one done.
    Water tankage plumbing wasn't how I wanted it either (all 3 tanks interconnected) so I have added extra plumbing and stop cocks

I kinda look at it like my 'Trol... a work in progress and marginally cheaper than owning a boat
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (14th June 2015), Clunk (14th June 2015), mudski (14th June 2015), Winnie (14th June 2015)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Yeah, agree with you there.

I found the S.A. MDC guys very easy to deal with when they had to act as middlemen to get the gear to Yulara to fix mine as well but cannot comment on service issues with them.
    Brissy head office seemed good but can be very hard to get the right person so I found email best but still have to wait a while if they are out on the road

I've also spent a lot of time on mine changing things to suit like replacing a fasteners with longer ones or Stainless and the stone guard doesn't suit my Ute so I'll get a custom one done.
    Water tankage plumbing wasn't how I wanted it either (all 3 tanks interconnected) so I have added extra plumbing and stop cocks

I kinda look at it like my 'Trol... a work in progress and marginally cheaper than owning a boat
    Amen to that....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast