Thread: Let's talk Rooftop Tents

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    main reason I don't have or want one is getting up to take a leak in the middle of the night after having a few, reckon there's been a few accidents had falling down or off ladders when half cut.
    So true mate, definitely all RT’s are a younger mans setup. Let’s not forget our beloved better halves also that do need hourly tinkle time, especially after giving birth to our beloved tiddlywinks :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th November 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Daughter and family have a Howling Moon and absolutely love it. It’s been to the Cape, around Australia and across from here to Broome every way possible at least four times. This has really travelled well, believe me.
    Other than a bit of pindan colouring it’s as good as the day they got it about seven years ago. They are a family of five and have no problem fitting them all in.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th November 2017), MB (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollofish View Post
    .....They are a family of five and have no problem fitting them all in.
    Nearly choked skipping to the last sentence Jack mate imagining a family of five up top :-) Quickly now just Googled these awesome things. https://www.howlingmoon.com.au/product/extension-annex They must have had this annexe extra top bit of kit did they mate?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (9th November 2017), jack (8th November 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've often thought of getting a RTT but if you over 60 and have a bad back, they don't work that well for you. More cons than pros for me. Big wind drag, too high to open & close when on a tall truck, and up and down a ladder is not good, especially if you've had a few. I can have my "centre pole pyramid style" tent up in the same time as a RTT, and I can stand up in it, which is real handy. Ideally, as I get older, I would prefer a sleeping arrangement in a box on the rear of a single cab ute, something I'm looking into at the moment.
    A friend has one of the earlier small Patriot trailers which had a RTT mounted on top. It would have worked much better for me as it was not as high up and easy to get to.
    RTT's work for many, but not for all.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

Hodge (9th November 2017), MB (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    main reason I don't have or want one is getting up to take a leak in the middle of the night after having a few, reckon there's been a few accidents had falling down or off ladders when half cut.
    Funnel and garden hose for the win mate!

If it's a heavy night on the red wine then could also work for number 2's lol

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Avo (9th November 2017), GQtdauto (9th November 2017), gubigfish (9th November 2017), Hodge (9th November 2017), MB (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funnel and long tube that's what I'll have in ours when we get one

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (9th November 2017), Hodge (9th November 2017), MB (8th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    It has always been my #1 dream to own/use a RTT since day one of being in the 4x4/camping scene. But i've always been disheartening by the negative aspects of owning one. On my d22 i had a roof rack ready to go and setup for a RTT, but I sold the car before getting the actual tent.

To me the pros would be, being well above ground away from everything, easy setup?, better air breeze up there? view? comfortable sleep etc etc... Just something about it, that cozy feeling sleeping in one.

Negatives are obviously, the constant size ,wind drag and weight on your roof, needs a specific roof rack, once setup the car is committed/anchored(this is my biggest drawback).

Me and @mudski went to the show few months ago and looked at several while we were there and it took good strength in me not to get one as Darche had some amazing setups and deals going.

So I'd like to know the forum's thoughts on roof top tents. Whos got one, whos used one, whats your thoughts?
    You have pretty much nailed the pros & cons Hodge. I`ve had mine since 2011 & have traveled over 170,000 km`s with it on the Patrol. Mines an ARB "Simpson" with an Annex. Bought it as a package deal with the awning for $1800 & it has well & truly paid for itself. Lost count of the times it has been setup, would have to be well over 300 times.

Setup is a breeze & yes you have to pack it up to move but this only takes 20 minutes or so. All my bedding is carried in the tent freeing up room in the Patrol. It has been through some rough weather, strong winds & heavy rain without any problems. Being up off the ground it is warmer in winter & you get a nice breeze during the warmer months.

Can set it up anywhere, dosn`t matter what the ground is like below you, wet, rocky or covered in burrs or snow. Do a lot of touring with a mate who was setting up a tent every night. He soon got sick of me sitting by the fire watching him still setting up & he has finally bought one himself.

Even though it is on the Patrol all the time adding to the weight (60 kg) & fuel consumption having it there for those unexpected overnight stops is a bonus. I`m 6`2" & 140 kgs & on the wrong side of 50 with a bad back & have no problems getting in & out of it.

Probably the best investment I have made for camping & touring. Another downside is that I can`t fit under Macca`s drivethru anymore! (maybe that`s a good thing)

IMGP3407.JPG

IMGP3363.JPG
    Last edited by VK2FMIA; 9th November 2017 at 08:41 AM.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (9th November 2017), Hodge (9th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mines in the shed at the moment must work out if I'm going to use it again, getting up for a pee in the middle of the night is no problem for me I'm part camel and the missus doesn't seem to mind climbing down once or twice a night .
    I've put lights in mine with a strip light outside that can be turned on from the bed .

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Hodge (9th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VK2FMIA View Post
    Another downside is that I can`t fit under Macca`s drivethru anymore! (maybe that`s a good thing)
    Looks like I need to buy a Roof Top Tent now....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    we have one,haven't used it in a while,loved it and it served it purpose well...got it for the kids to sleep in as i don't want to be climbing up and down all night...we are now thinking about buying a decent family tent as i have bought a dingy and like you said,the fact you have to pack up to move,,with my mrs and kids i would get the boat in the water till lunch,,she all the family love camping so i and not going to make em get out of bed...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

Hodge (9th November 2017)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast