OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a GU 42 by Christmas 2022! - Options and discussions on buying a used GU TD42

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What kind of fuel consumption figures are you guys getting?
    I see people stating 12 - 14 litres per 100km for fairly unmodified engines. Is that about right?

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Hodge (19th June 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    What kind of fuel consumption figures are you guys getting?
    I see people stating 12 - 14 litres per 100km for fairly unmodified engines. Is that about right?

Mine is 15-16, around town. 33 all terrains, 3" exhaust, big intercooler and it's tuned to run optimal maxed out at 14psi.
    Big long freeway drives usage drops dramatically.
    2005 TD42TI

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

taslucas (20th June 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Hi mate from under down under.
    I took that GU out for a test a couple of weeks ago. Engine ran like a Swiss watch, very sweet. Honest car. I just didn't like the carpet previous owner had put in, but overall ok. Didn't get to check winch. If this is the sort of car you are chasing, and suits budget, I'd get on the plane to Adelaide now. Been on the market for a while now but can't last. There is another one for just under $20k in Adelaide, Carsales .com I think. Car is blue. Says its 4.2 turbo, 1999?, engine plate says 4.5Petrol but if papers are good might be worth checking too while in SA.
    Happy hunting
    Hi Monty, I must have missed this post. Thanks for the reply mate, much appreciated. I think I've seen the blue patrol you mention too. Pretty schmick inside. I was in Adelaide a few weeks back hence why I was browsing the net there but not quite ready to pull the trigger. A toss up between turboing that neat old rig or paying more to get a factory turbo vehicle.
    I have family in Adelaide so it's not a huge ask to fly over if I found the right rig there

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good advice on the rattle can upgrade, I had not even considered that!

Whats the tell-tale signs of factory turbs?

Apart from the suffix on the engine number, the 3 main items are the oil pressure outlet for turbo under the exhaust manifold, the oil return from turbo into the block & turbo coolant feed in front of oil pressure regulator.
    When a turbo is added to an NA engine, the turbo coolant feed, if it’s fitted, will usually be taken from the block drain at the rear left. The oil pressure for turbo is generally taken from a 1/8 BSPT grub screw near the left engine mount and the turbo oil return will go to a fitting in the sump.
    Last edited by jff45; 19th June 2022 at 12:47 PM.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

MB (20th June 2022), Rossco (19th June 2022), taslucas (19th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Mine is 15-16, around town. 33 all terrains, 3" exhaust, big intercooler and it's tuned to run optimal maxed out at 14psi.
    Big long freeway drives usage drops dramatically.
    Yeah mine around 15 16 too, but the vast majority of stuff the GQ does is in the bush so no bad really. . Usually always around the 1000K mark out of 90L main & 70 L sub running to fairly empty. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MB (29th August 2022), taslucas (20th June 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yo, I'm still dreaming over here!
    A slight change to my job and also not ticking off as many things due to forgetting Tassie winter weather, has slowed the plans down but I'm still looking and teasing myself.
    The average price seems to have dropped with these rate rises though so that's cool

.......from under the great down under.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

MB (29th August 2022), mudnut (29th August 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to read you’re still in the hunt again Tassie Brother
    A little TD update that may help your future decisions:
    Researched, finally found a builder a few months ago that I could achieve a rebuild on the old TD42 faithful chugging blacktop up to decent air input turbo spec for well under $10k
    My parties now over, OEM turbo crank and all the connecting goodies have near doubled in some instances and completely forgot/never knew that pre-combustion chambers need removal and size upgrading to lower turbo compression needs too along with oil pumps/squirters etc…
    Definitely worth as before waiting to score a TD42T or i as all have suggested as a GU will need more than a GQ/GU Blacktop NA Old Mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Rossco (29th August 2022), taslucas (29th August 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the TD doesn't have huge power but I believe I'd be happy idling around with a close to stock set up.
    I'd suggest you have answered your own question & had it confirmed by several others. I'll add to it. Ours is pretty stock in the engine department & never been apart. Only mods engine-wise are a 3" exhaust & a mild (for towing) dyno tune running a max of 13.2psi on the standard intercooler. Way nicer to drive the the original exhaust & 7 psi, and reliable, owned it for almost 12 years now. Not for sale though, at least not until we can find the right rare beast to replace it with - an OKA camper with 6BT & Allison. Have our eye on one which *might* be for sale next year after we have left the Cape, but even then it will be tempting to keep the Patrol as a daily driver for when we are at home. Hard to let a vehicle which you have learned to trust go.

Problems with it are primarily electrical - age related connector issues when plastic goes hard, & the stupid sub tank arrangement which has failed. (Will get it sorted when we are back in 'Civilisation') .The plastic topped radiator still seems ok, but have just ordered new coolant expansion bottles. 245,000kms, most of that in the outback in our ownership & Telstra's.

Not trying to sell it, more to let you know the sort of relationship we have with a T42i which has done & continues to do exactly what we bought it for & not let us down.

To be honest the only other similar sized vehicle I'd consider in similar condition & mileage would be a non-turbo 1hz Toyota 70 series. Slower but more comfortable, Sit higher inside & nicer to drive off road thanks to it's lower gearing & better low down torque. Less to go wrong, & the angled front profile makes driving tight tracks easier.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 29th August 2022 at 07:47 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (30th August 2022), MB (29th August 2022), Rossco (29th August 2022), taslucas (29th August 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, don’t buy a GUTD42, best to buy a GUTD42T like Cuppa & Mrs Tea

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Rossco (29th August 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Agreed, don’t buy a GUTD42, best to buy a GUTD42T like Cuppa & Mrs Tea

Yep, I am now convinced to go for a factory turbo

.......from under the great down under.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (30th August 2022), MB (29th August 2022), Rossco (29th August 2022)

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast