Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shortening draws / rear aux battery fit

Since my last Aux battery busted under the hood, I took on a mission to put the aux battery setup back in the rear by shortening the left draw. I've received several PM's about how I've been going with it, and what the idea was, so I decided to make a post about it now that I've mostly finished.

. I've seen @jaysee and a few other guys on other forums and FB have done it, but I went a different way about it. Challenge was mounting the battery securely to prevent it from moving around, especially jumping up and down, and possibly shorting. And NO way was I gonna mount the battery on it's side. I know their sealed units, but the lid on top is still the weak link.
    To add to the challenge, the floor at the back of the Patrol slopes downward, around 150mm from the back of the draws, meaning the battery simply sitting on the floor/carpet was never gonna sit comfortably flat.

So I had ARB aux battery tray from my old Navara, and I realized, on one side bracket extends down, which would normally sit/bolt onto the inner wheel arch under the hood. I figured if I shortened this bracket, it would make the tray sit and support the battery tray perfectly. So i mounted the battery tray at the back of the draws which then enabled me to secure the battery. There was 2 captive threads under the carper, for bolting the tray down (lucky!!!) plus few bolts at the rear and a bracket at the front. It's going nowhere.
    The rest was easy, shorten the draws and wire everything back up.

Draw and battery sitting side by side showing roughly how much of the draw I'd lose. (Bugger all)

Battery tray roughly mounted.

Shortening the draw. I lost 190mm of the draw. IN the grand scheme of things, bugger all.
    Compared to others I've seen. I didn't cut the whole draw. I just cut the very rear face off, then cut enough floor off to accomodate battery/tray, and then mount the rear face back on. Leaving the runners uncut, meant more support left for the draw, and the end stops remained in the same spot, meaning draw can still slide out the same distance while still being stable. Runners simply go to each side of the battery/tray.

All wired up, secured. I got some HV insulating mat from work to cover the cop of the battery. My CTEK unit has a thermometer attachment which sites next to the Positive post of the battery and then adjusts the charge rate in contrast to the battery temp. Still plenty of airflow for the battery from underneath and then exhausts through the top of the draw and at the back.

2005 TD42TI

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

AB (10th August 2018), jay see (11th August 2018), MB (11th August 2018), MudRunnerTD (10th August 2018), mudski (11th August 2018), VK2FMIA (11th August 2018), Yeti's Beast (10th August 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great Hodge.
    Are you also on Patrol 4x4 ?
    Warty has done a similar thing with his draws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

Hodge (10th August 2018)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti's Beast View Post
    Looks great Hodge.
    Are you also on Patrol 4x4 ?
    Warty has done a similar thing with his draws
    Nah I'm not on the other forum. All the other ones I've seen are where they completely cut down the draws. One on FB that I saw was at the back of a 105 cruiser where he reduced both draws to fit 2 batteries.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few bits from Warty’s thread

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

Hodge (11th August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very neat job indeed.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc4by For This Useful Post:

Hodge (11th August 2018)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here are a few bits from Warty’s thread

Very nice. Looks like he has a smaller battery and managed to use one of the floor brackets under the draws and the tray. There is no way my battery would have fit that way. I have like 5-7mm gap between terminal bolts and the top panel. Hence why I used that HV mat.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Very nice. Looks like he has a smaller battery and managed to use one of the floor brackets under the draws and the tray. There is no way my battery would have fit that way. I have like 5-7mm gap between terminal bolts and the top panel. Hence why I used that HV mat.
    Yes, he also bought that off me. He wanted something with a low profile and that was all we had in stock. It’s a 55ah Gel battery made in Germany. They cycle better than a normal battery so even though it’s smaller it will perform the same as a larger battery. They cost around $240
    He is happy with the result.
    It’s kinda funny, your both Victorians and had similar ideas and on separate forums.
    You both have done excellent jobs that look like they were made that way. Could start a trend !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

Hodge (11th August 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bloody brilliant job Eric. You've put some thought into it and its pulled off! 10/10

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (11th August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shortening draws / rear aux battery fit

I just re read 44 pages from Warty’s build. He repurposed the original battery tray from under the bonnet and mounted it on the existing frame of the draws. I prefer your idea because you can fit a bigger battery in.
    Either way lots of good info for others.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

Hodge (11th August 2018)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just re read 44 pages from Warty’s build. He repurposed the original battery tray from under the bonnet and mounted it on the existing frame of the draws. I prefer your idea because you can fit a bigger battery in.
    Either way lots of good info for others.

I might have a look at his thread, when I get a chance. I had several ideas I toyed with, including sitting the battery on TOP of the draws in the far front left corner against cargo barrier.

And once again big thanks to @Yeti's Beast for hooking us up with a quality battery from Mpower. I'm spewing I couldn't fit that Xtreme series battery you had as that looked like a beast and had cranking support too, was just too tall for my setup with the posts.
    2005 TD42TI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast