Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: RB30 Facts, Figures and Helpful Hints

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dunno, just a food grade. Haven't really checked it out.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    How did you go with your carby?
    Did you try to tune it yourself or did you take it back to the guy who rebuilt it?
    At this stage I've tuned it myself, as I just haven't had the opportunity to take time off work to go see the fella who rebuilt it. I know what you mean about how dirty it looks, although I saw it when he put it on and it was really nice and clean looking and ran 100% spot on when he installed it.

I think it might still be a little rich, still to have a look at the plug and check in more detail, but it feels about right to drive
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unreal economy mudnut!

Definitely need a tune on yours Patrol'n, FWIW I got around 23L/100km fully loaded, with a kayak on the roof and towing a 1.5T camper trailer (That was running 35's too, back to 33's now but don't think it's made any difference). Oh and I was thrashing it because I'm an impatient turd lol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I also experienced the opposite side of the coin. I hit a big rainstorm past Port Fairy. Fighting a headwind and dodging sheets of water that fill the truck-made grooves in the road. It went up to 19ltrs/100 because I was up and down on the go pedal.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Dunno, just a food grade. Haven't really checked it out.
    "food grade" means it can safely be eaten....sort of?!
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol'n View Post
    At this stage I've tuned it myself, as I just haven't had the opportunity to take time off work to go see the fella who rebuilt it. I know what you mean about how dirty it looks, although I saw it when he put it on and it was really nice and clean looking and ran 100% spot on when he installed it.

I think it might still be a little rich, still to have a look at the plug and check in more detail, but it feels about right to drive
    It's pretty easy to find out if it's running too rich by simply looking at the spark plug tips for traces of brand new soot.
    Lean is bit tricky, but still can be spotted from spark plug tips by looking for whitish sort of residue, etc.

Ideally carbies can't be tuned properly on a bench, it's gota be fitted to the vehicle, as each engine's response can be different due to many factors like wear and tear, exhaust system, coolant system, etc etc.
    So, if you take it back to the guy, take the whole vehicle and leave it with him.
    It's even a not easy for an experienced guy to tune a carby by ear, so it will be quite a challenge for us mere mortals.

i know your carby is running on petrol, but still should look bit better than what I saw in picture after a not too distant past rebuild.
    Perhaps, the kinda trekking you do might have something to do with it.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I occasionally run the "better" hi octane petrol to try and flush out deposits that 91 RON seems to leave in the carby.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, she has seen more mud, red dirt, water crossings, overgrown tracks etc in the past three years than I think she ever had in her first 21 years... Before I started running a filter on the snorkel I was forever cleaning bits of tree, bugs and bees out of the air cleaner too, that and plenty of fill ups at country fuel stations. the outside of the carb needs a damn good clean, but I washed the engine bay and degreased the other day, and everything still looks grubby... Was so clean and shiny when I bought it! I'll hit the carb with some cleaner to see how it comes up, but when I get time I will definitely take the car and see the bloke who rebuilt it and see what he can find.

I run 98 whenever I can, as it does go better, but sometimes 91 is all that's available.

I might have a look at the spark to, since it's definitely still rich, inside the exhaust tip is black so I'll pull the plugs on the weekend and check the dizzy just in case, you never know I guess.
    93 GQ wagon, RB30, extractors, 2 inch tough dog lift, 5 spd, A/T KO2 32's, steel winch bar, rated recovery points, red arc dual battery set up, rhino roof racks, UHF etc etc. Slow and steady might not win the race but it gets me there eventually...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I occasionally run the "better" hi octane petrol to try and flush out deposits that 91 RON seems to leave in the carby.
    BTW, 91RON has no colour now. Recently they stopped using the "red dye".
    I think a carby cleaner added to fuel is a better approach to clean the carbies of the gunk from petrol.
    I'm not sure how high octane petrol help clean the carby though.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol'n View Post
    Yep, she has seen more mud, red dirt, water crossings, overgrown tracks etc in the past three years than I think she ever had in her first 21 years... Before I started running a filter on the snorkel I was forever cleaning bits of tree, bugs and bees out of the air cleaner too, that and plenty of fill ups at country fuel stations. the outside of the carb needs a damn good clean, but I washed the engine bay and degreased the other day, and everything still looks grubby... Was so clean and shiny when I bought it! I'll hit the carb with some cleaner to see how it comes up, but when I get time I will definitely take the car and see the bloke who rebuilt it and see what he can find.

I run 98 whenever I can, as it does go better, but sometimes 91 is all that's available.

I might have a look at the spark to, since it's definitely still rich, inside the exhaust tip is black so I'll pull the plugs on the weekend and check the dizzy just in case, you never know I guess.
    If the dizzy vacuum advance diaphragm has gone kaput, it will affect the smooth ignition.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dom14 For This Useful Post:

Patrol'n (1st May 2017)

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast