Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 719 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Hmmm, may have to give it some more thought. Might have to start talking to a 4wd'ing couple we know in Kununurra to see if they fancy a Canning trip in '23.
    Biggest problem that most folks have is with corrocations. This is where you just select first or second and cruise slowly along not destroying every thing. If I remember we had seven vehicles, two of us with camper trailers and out of that lot we only had one flat and maybe three boggings. Biggest or should I say most problems, were with Camels and the odd
    Dingo.Both would often wander in to or through camp. Another thing was we were the last biggish group on the track for the season. We saw very little traffic and had no problems with on coming traffic, camping or even bad weather.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcey View Post
    Biggest problem that most folks have is with corrocations. This is where you just select first or second and cruise slowly along not destroying every thing. If I remember we had seven vehicles, two of us with camper trailers and out of that lot we only had one flat and maybe three boggings. Biggest or should I say most problems, were with Camels and the odd
    Dingo.Both would often wander in to or through camp. Another thing was we were the last biggish group on the track for the season. We saw very little traffic and had no problems with on coming traffic, camping or even bad weather.
    Ha! I had just clicked on your post & waiting for it load (slow satellite this morning) & MrsTea called out from downstairs "There's a dingo out here". Second time one has been around close to the house in daylight. This time I went to get my camera, but it was too far away to get a pic by the time I saw it. A different one this time. Darker than the first, but just as big. No camels here though!

Back on the CSR, we like, & are used to travelling alone, but I think maybe travelling with one other vehicle might be wise on the Canning, especially if we are towing.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

pearcey (4th February 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember petrol being around 3/6d (that's 35c for all you young guns) a gallon when I had my FJ Holden back around 1964. Not much diesel around in those days.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

MB (4th February 2022), mudnut (4th February 2022), pearcey (4th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    18 cents for a litre of LPG back in 94'. That was when owning a duel fuel V8 made sense.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (4th February 2022), Pete49 (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reckon I did score memorably LPG for a very short time in 1993/4 for my personal first FJ…..40 second hand at $0.08L when leaded was around $0.55L IIRC. Agreed Mudski Mate it was very worthwhile running gas on our guzzlers stable priced below $0.20 for many years thereafter. Could never understand why our Government then would only subsidise personal vehicles conversions to LPG by near 75% and never a single dollar for bulk work registered vehicles as many tried to grow their businesses ………..
    LPG F-Truck 351c’s were sold for TD42T leafy’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mudnut (4th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 484 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    18 cents for a litre of LPG back in 94'. That was when owning a duel fuel V8 made sense.
    Interesting. LPG (called here GNV for "Gás Natural Veicular") is sold here to this day in cubic meters. It seems that the same occurred over our countries. LPG conversion was subsidized, LPG was less then half the price of petrol to run the same range and then over the years the government lost interest in it. A lot of business that grew around the LPG conversion and even gas stations that invested tons of money to be able to offer LPG to their customers simply broke.

Here, where we have Diesel, Petrol, Ethanol and LPG at the pumps, it is being more cost effective to run Ethanol. LPG is still cheaper at the pump, but the amount one has to drive to break-even the conversion cost is not worth it. Specially when loosing space on the car trunk or on the truck bed to accommodate the new tank.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

MB (5th February 2022), mudnut (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ethanol has some downsides too. It's not really sustainable. I've heard of in-tank fuel pumps plastic melting and an acidic residue forming in the engine. This causes some metals parts to etch and be eaten away, unless coated in nickel (I think that is the right metal, but happy to be corrected).
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 484 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ethanol here is not used as a conversion from a petrol car. You run it on cars that left the factory ethanol ready, so no issues with metal reaction. On the old carby days, carbys were coated with nickel indeed. But this was honestly on the 70´s, so it has been a long way already and it is settled technology here.
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd July 2022), mudnut (5th February 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’d expect and budget for this in the True Australian Outback filling up your diesel sub-tank for safety longevity purposes. Never expected a Melbourne Sister City- Bendigo to rape us passing through enroute

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine and many others, ‘Great Australian Dream’ was simply being able to afford exploring this HUGE Beautiful Country exploring/camping somewhat cheaply eating basic tucker/food carried along and or caught.
    How is it even possible now for Young Local Legends starting out to potentially migrate to regions to join/assimilate Earn & Spend their little left over fuel money and ALL grow TOGETHER

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Coldcomfort (2nd July 2022), Cremulator (2nd July 2022), Hodge (2nd July 2022), Rossco (2nd July 2022)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast