OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Tyre shaving - still around or a lost art?

  1. #11
    Expert Truckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Central Coast NSW
    Posts
    170
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 173 Times in 82 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, poor old Truckus in the wars at the moment.

    At least perhaps, a positive that the things I am learning about his issues various, may hold solutions for others having similar issues. Our current one is a doozy though!
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4 XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

    Plasnart (3rd April 2021)

  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

     

  4. #12
    Expert
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    226
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 68 Times in 41 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the wobbles pretty bad and uneven tyre wear (outer edges). All mechanicals were fine ... had Tru Track in Bunbury W.A. throw in an offset bearing and it runs straight and true no matter what the tyres are like ..

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to timbo2410 For This Useful Post:

    Plasnart (5th April 2021)

  6. #13
    Breadmaker Shaker Plasnart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    532
    Thanks
    5,474
    Thanked 5,693 Times in 2,835 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks @timbo2410 . TBH I don't know much about offset bearings but did a bit of a search and found this post by @MudRunnerTD : http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Bearings/page2

    Interesting. I had new bearings replaced just under 2 years ago and made no difference to the wobbles.

    I've also read the offset bearings may wear diff seals prematurely though?

    Darren, your post is 8.5 years old now. How has the offset bearing stood the test of time? Any seal issues? I might be interested in looking closer at an offset LH bearing.

  7. #14
    Moderator MudRunnerTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    14,805
    Thanks
    11,314
    Thanked 12,401 Times in 6,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Thanks @timbo2410 . TBH I don't know much about offset bearings but did a bit of a search and found this post by @MudRunnerTD : http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Bearings/page2

    Interesting. I had new bearings replaced just under 2 years ago and made no difference to the wobbles.

    I've also read the offset bearings may wear diff seals prematurely though?

    Darren, your post is 8.5 years old now. How has the offset bearing stood the test of time? Any seal issues? I might be interested in looking closer at an offset LH bearing.
    It did a great job mate. Interestingly this weekend I am stripping the front of the GU. Last time I did it was about 3 years ago I think and at that time i pulled the offset out but only did so because the upper offset race had collapsed. I didn't know this until I went to remove it and it was half missing. The thin wall had crumbled but had done A Lot of work.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  8. #15
    Moderator MudRunnerTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    14,805
    Thanks
    11,314
    Thanked 12,401 Times in 6,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rotate your tyres ans put the scallops to the back ans they will flatten out then rotate back to the front.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  9. #16
    Breadmaker Shaker Plasnart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    532
    Thanks
    5,474
    Thanked 5,693 Times in 2,835 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Rotate your tyres ans put the scallops to the back ans they will flatten out then rotate back to the front.
    Yeah they were badly scalloped at the rear of the tread blocks prior to rotation. Don't understand how this happens but after rotation all scallops are at the front of the blocks.

  10. #17
    Breadmaker Shaker Plasnart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    532
    Thanks
    5,474
    Thanked 5,693 Times in 2,835 Posts
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    It did a great job mate. Interestingly this weekend I am stripping the front of the GU. Last time I did it was about 3 years ago I think and at that time i pulled the offset out but only did so because the upper offset race had collapsed. I didn't know this until I went to remove it and it was half missing. The thin wall had crumbled but had done A Lot of work.
    Do you still recommend an offset bearing now you've been there done that? You went back to standard bearing because why?

  11. #18
    Moderator MudRunnerTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    14,805
    Thanks
    11,314
    Thanked 12,401 Times in 6,195 Posts
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Do you still recommend an offset bearing now you've been there done that? You went back to standard bearing because why?
    I went back soley because I pulled it apart one day to repack the bearing and found the collapsed race and it was a daily. I needed to fix it immediately and paid too dollar for a kit from Repco to get Ilit back on the road by the Monday.

    I was absolutely happy with the offset bearings.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

    Plasnart (5th April 2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •