Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Tow balls are not to be used as recovery points

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good video to show to those who are still inclined to use tow balls for recovery....and those who are too stubborn to believe it's dangerous.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This should not have happened. A Daughter A Sister, A Friend. A Young life Lost.

Think about what you are doing. Always consider the worst case scenario and clear the safety zone.

RIP

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 27th September 2020 at 12:18 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudnut (28th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I recently received this photo from a friend.
    Here's the aftermath of a broken snatch strap. No towball, no shackle, just the snatch strap. Look at the damage to the tail gate! received_841149029957404.jpg

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Hello from Under Down Under!

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

Bidja (28th October 2020), Cremulator (28th October 2020), growler2058 (23rd February 2021), MB (28th October 2020), mudnut (28th October 2020), MudRunnerTD (28th October 2020), PeeBee (28th October 2020), Rossco (28th October 2020), Touses (28th October 2020), Woof (1st November 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure this is a good a place as any to drop this.

All I could do was shake my head when I found it.

When you see it....

IMG_20210220_190120~2.jpg
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (23rd February 2021), MB (23rd February 2021), MudRunnerTD (23rd February 2021), Rossco (23rd February 2021), Touses (23rd February 2021), Woof (23rd February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    I recently received this photo from a friend.
    Here's the aftermath of a broken snatch strap. No towball, no shackle, just the snatch strap. Look at the damage to the tail gate! received_841149029957404.jpg

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Crazy hey!! I posted in another thread similar but worse, i will find it and post it here too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @taslucas

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Well this is just bloody average. I don't have the whole story but the bloke says a shackle did this. The bloke has confirmed that they joined 2 straps together to increase length and snatched. Terrible idea, a Dampener would have helped. Glad noone died. Imagine if it went the other way through a windscreen!!!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Crazy Stuff Mate!! It will take your head off.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (23rd February 2021), growler2058 (23rd February 2021), MB (23rd February 2021), taslucas (23rd February 2021), threedogs (27th February 2021), Woof (23rd February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,215 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow balls are not to be used as recovery points

If only pictures could truly convey sound waves shocking a bloke scared to the bone personally experienced myself in younger uneducated days.......never attempt mud bog Snatch recoveries IMHO
    Slow & steady (no rush) winch your way out of the suction slick and yes this is still plausible for Sand, albeit wet quicky stuff only hopefully caused by beach outgoing creeks or low outgoing tides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 23rd February 2021 at 09:41 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (24th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    If only pictures could truly convey sound waves shocking a bloke scared to the bone personally experienced myself in younger uneducated days.......never attempt mud bog Snatch recoveries IMHO
    Slow & steady (no rush) winch your way out of the suction slick and yes this is still plausible for Sand, albeit wet quicky stuff only hopefully caused by beach outgoing creeks or low outgoing tides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think all recoveries carry an element of risk, that's why we take care to make sure nobody is in the firing line. We know a winch rope has just as much potential to do some serious damage.

I think you're probably right and if you have the option to winch out of mud it might be the better choice but a correctly used snatch would be just as viable and safe/carry similar risks.

I think the likelihood of this kind of damage to a windscreen would be very low. Using the strap as intended (straight pull) will see the bulk of its mass recoil directly towards its fixture points if it does break.

If anything I think that these pictures and experiences are a lesson teaching us to replace our snatch straps a bit more regularly?
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MB (25th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    I think all recoveries carry an element of risk, that's why we take care to make sure nobody is in the firing line. We know a winch rope has just as much potential to do some serious damage.

I think you're probably right and if you have the option to winch out of mud it might be the better choice but a correctly used snatch would be just as viable and safe/carry similar risks.

I think the likelihood of this kind of damage to a windscreen would be very low. Using the strap as intended (straight pull) will see the bulk of its mass recoil directly towards its fixture points if it does break.

If anything I think that these pictures and experiences are a lesson teaching us to replace our snatch straps a bit more regularly?
    I have seen more than a couple of Snatches break. it is fare average when they go. the first one i saw was back in the day and they were snatching a GQ out of a bog. The snatch broke and shattered the front grill of the bogged GQ and smashed a head light. I was very new to the scene and surprised at the damage.

I agree they have their place. the best lessons learned here though is to figure out where the line is. to determine when a Snatch simply should not be considered.. Respect the limit of the snatch. Dont just hit it harder.

i subscribe to this rule. "When in Doubt, Winch Out"

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (26th February 2021), MB (25th February 2021), threedogs (27th February 2021)

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021