Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GU Manual to Auto conversion

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatti View Post
    Did you end up doing this? I am contemplating the same thing for the same reason. The kit you buy from over east (I am in Perth) is just under $7k so maybe that is the go.
    Last post was in 2015 mate. You might get some of the other fellas on here chime in if you head over and introduce yourself first.

I've thought about this for my rig and would strongly consider what you could get for a trade in. If you sold yours and added 7k would you get a better/newer/less km rig?
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re-digging an old thread.

I've flicked though a few old ones and can't find someone who's gone through with it on here. I've been toying with the auto conversion idea for a while mostly because the mrs doesn't like driving it since I put the heavy duty clutch in. She reckons it's too heavy, I don't notice it but as I get older I'm warming to the idea of an auto fourby. It's sprung up again tonight as I may be able to pick up a doner vehicle cheappp.

I looked at trading in on an auto but I can't find one in a 4.2td. Did they even do them or are they just rare as hens teeth?

I'm really happy with the rig otherwise at the moment. Think I've got the kettle sorted out after a brilliant week towing a 2t camper around KI with zero issues.

Couple basic questions;
    I've read the 3.0 auto bolts straight up. Is this the case?
    Do the prop shafts ect all bolt up?
    Could I use the 3.0 trans controller or would I have to get the controller from wholesale autos?

Probs just a pipe dream but if I could do it for a reasonable price I might consider it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The TD42T had an auto in the Safari model. I don't think we saw any autos in the TD42T GU models here. The TD42Ti never had an auto but several have done their own conversions.
    Yes, the ZD30 bolts straight up. You just need an easy mod for the starter. Obviously, you need a flexplate to replace the flywheel. TC stall needs to be lowered if using the ZD30 TC.
    The only way to use the ZD30 TCU is to wire in the ECU as well but there are much better aftermarket options available for the RE4 auto.

The RE4 behind a warmed TD42 is really nice to drive. A good valve body in the auto does shift changes much faster than you can change gears in a manual.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (16th December 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    The TD42T had an auto in the Safari model. I don't think we saw any autos in the TD42T GU models here. The TD42Ti never had an auto but several have done their own conversions.
    Yes, the ZD30 bolts straight up. You just need an easy mod for the starter. Obviously, you need a flexplate to replace the flywheel. TC stall needs to be lowered if using the ZD30 TC.
    The only way to use the ZD30 TCU is to wire in the ECU as well but there are much better aftermarket options available for the RE4 auto.

The RE4 behind a warmed TD42 is really nice to drive. A good valve body in the auto does shift changes much faster than you can change gears in a manual.
    Thanks mate, very helpful. Had a look at the wholesale autos pages after posting last night and looks like they use the 5 speed from the Tb motors.

Their setup looks brilliant. I can't imagine the price is though :/ I do expect it's too much to spend on an old car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12