Thread: GU Cruise Control Sensitivity

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU Cruise Control Sensitivity

Hi all,

Thought I would fill you in on a simple issue that I've probably spent too many hours working on a fix. Since I installed my new fuel pump and turbo the factory cruise in the GU is way too sensitive, it over accelerates then over compensates in the other direction constantly. Makes you motion sick if you're sitting on the highway.

In my searching I couldn't find an easy fix, only people installing a whole new cruise unit. I don't mind a challenge and haven't needed to drive the patrol much so I really wanted to try and find a way to fix the factory unit.

I don't know if anyone will get any use out of this but I thought I'd share anyway. I've already tried a few things so I'll probably break it up over a few posts.

FIRST ATTEMPT:

Thought I'd start simple and hopefully kill two birds with one stone.

My speedo has always been out by about 10km/h so ordered and installed an electronic speedo calibration mod. I know you can change the little gear in the box but this probably took a similar time to install and now if I ever want to adjust it, it's super simple. It also has a sensitivity adjustment "sensitive" and "normal", i thought this might fix my problem as well

thumbnail_IMG_20200921_174138.jpg

This fixed my speedo but not my cruise. (I need to come back to this one though because I just recently worked out that I think I've installed it upstream of the cruise unit.. ie the unit still sees the speed straight from the box)
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SECOND ATTEMPT:

I read on a forum somewhere that someone had tried to make the lever longer for the fuel pump but they couldn't make it work because the cruise would auto cancel on them. I thought I'd have a go my self;

thumbnail_IMG_20191203_155744.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20191203_155749.jpg

I chopped the lever off and replaced it with a bolt and lock nut setup so I could adjust it. Quick and dirty for a proof of concept.
    To my surprise this actually worked! It just doesn't work like it needs too. It lowered the sensitivity but the vac diaphragm doesn't have enough stroke, works perfect anywhere under 100km/h but can't maintain 110km/h because it can't pull the throttle far enough..

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THIRD ATTEMPT..kinda

At this point I've probably been dicking around with this for over 12 months when I found an hour here and there to spare on it.

I decided I had enough, conceded and got a new unit;

thumbnail_USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1604464807528_6729613160080103194.jpg

After the box had gathered a suitable amount of dust I decided to open it up and start planning the replacement. I quickly worked out looking at the service manual/wiring diagrams that looked like there was going to be some teething problems. The factory steering wheel buttons/clockspring does in 2 wires what the aftermarket does in 3 or 4. I looked at the (shitty) instructions for a while and thought of a few ways around it if it wouldn't just plug and play. This kinda annoyed me a bit and pushed me back to having one last crack at fixing the factory unit..

Edit: to be clear I was aware when buying the unit "plug and play" was a relative term. My plan was just to use existing cruise control wires and splice them to suit the new unit.. but even this looked like it may have its challenges.
    Last edited by 0-TJ-0; 4th November 2020 at 04:22 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ATTEMPT 4 (in planning):

Attempt 4 brings me up to present day.

2 things I want to try when I next get the chance..

First revisit attempt 1. I want to run the output of the speedo calibration module direct to the cruise unit. See if this fixes it or makes any difference.

If that doesn't work I think I've worked out a way to use an arduino to modify the signal from the cruise unit to the vac pump while retaining all the factory safety features and cut outs. Essentially it'll just pulse the vac pump at a user adjustable frequency when the cruise control unit tells it too. I actually really want to try this out just for the sake of it..

Anyway, that's where I'm at for now. If someone knows a fix that would have saved me hours of my life, feel free to keep it to yourself.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (4th November 2020), PeeBee (4th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably too late now but this is how I connected my factory cruise control to the pump when I did my conversion. It works well, same as it did on the TB45E engine.

Cruise is the lower cable in the pic.

My pump.jpg
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    Probably too late now but this is how I connected my factory cruise control to the pump when I did my conversion. It works well, same as it did on the TB45E engine.

Cruise is the lower cable in the pic.

My pump.jpg
    Thanks for that mate.

I don't think my issue has been the connection although yours does leaver from a slightly different point. Mine was connected through the normal factory mount.. And it "works" fine it's just too sensitive and adjusts the pump too severely with the extra power since the pump upgrade.