Thread: Air suspension

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air suspension

What do people think of the air bags suspension lift? ?
    Thinking about only using them when towing the camper trailer
    Thanks 🤔

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 2,645 Posts
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne24lillico View Post
    What do people think of the air bags suspension lift? ?
    Thinking about only using them when towing the camper trailer
    Thanks 🤔
    There are three different styles on the market, bags inside coils, bags outside of coils, leaving the coils in place, and total coil replacement of coils with airbags - which system are you looking to utilise?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cradoka (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have Polyair bags inside my rear coils are installed them specifically for towing the camper. they make a huge difference. @MB has Airbag replacements in the rear of his tray back and they are pretty sik.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the BOSS airbags that work between the axle and chassis rail, eliminating the tower stress issues to a large degree. They are the triple bag units and suited for lifts up to 4". They are used as levelling on a heavily laden vehicle. I rate them a better solution tan the airbags simply because they don't put more stress into the spring mounts. If you elect to the airbags inside the springs you should be installing spring mount stiffening, either bolt in or weld in. I have the firestone airbags inside the springs and welded kit for the spring towers, however I don't use these anymore, just the Boss Units. Boss units don't require removal of the springs to fit either. I would say the Boss Airbags give a softer ride for the same lift as an in-coil airbag because the in-coil airbags expand into the compression zone between the coils and stiffen the rise up, along with the air pressure of course. If you want to run high pressures, purchase the kevlar sleeves as well, they allow higher pressure and also protect the airbag from friction wear and puncture.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank guys for all that info 😀

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I have the BOSS airbags that work between the axle and chassis rail, eliminating the tower stress issues to a large degree. They are the triple bag units and suited for lifts up to 4". They are used as levelling on a heavily laden vehicle. I rate them a better solution tan the airbags simply because they don't put more stress into the spring mounts. If you elect to the airbags inside the springs you should be installing spring mount stiffening, either bolt in or weld in. I have the firestone airbags inside the springs and welded kit for the spring towers, however I don't use these anymore, just the Boss Units. Boss units don't require removal of the springs to fit either. I would say the Boss Airbags give a softer ride for the same lift as an in-coil airbag because the in-coil airbags expand into the compression zone between the coils and stiffen the rise up, along with the air pressure of course. If you want to run high pressures, purchase the kevlar sleeves as well, they allow higher pressure and also protect the airbag from friction wear and puncture.
    Looking at these currently Phil with the impending new camper. Seems a no brainer to me instead of bracing the towers and putting bags in the springs. They're just bolt in?

No legal issues you're aware of? I called my insurance folk and (after having no idea and putting me on hold to check) she said she could add them to the policy with no underwriting conditions. I guess that means they're not a problem..
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They bolt straight in, but be warned the instructions are rubbish and the plates are absolutely ambiguous at best. I installed my plates back to front and upside down and finally after a lot of back and forth with BOSS they admitted the instructions were crap, by then I had blown a day. The only upgrade I would make is to change the airlines from 1/4" imperial to 6mm metric. The supplied hose and fittings are expensive to buy and offer no advantage. I also found the 1/4" fittings poor quality and one sheared off, another moan point. I have upgraded my lines to SMC with bog standard 6mm airlines. I did try running an in cab control system, however the gauge and fittings leaked and even the replacement spares were no better, so I binned them and now just adjust them off an air fittting in the rear bar and have a small spirit level on the rear bar to get a preliminary height.

I run the triples and they can jack the car up to dangerous heights, well clear of the springs, but usually run about 40psi in the rears on the highway and a little less offroad, just enough to keep a bit of ground clearance. I am not aware of any legal issues - my VASS engineer was happy with mine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (10th February 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,215 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super duper happy with no fuss Polyair’s inside Mrs MB’s coils over the years, I believe Nissan aftermarket coil tower bracing is a must regardless of carrying a full tank of OEM fuel or a turkey sandwich on the 6th & 7th seats back there :-(
    Kevlar designed bags I believe told socked over them before reinstalling the coils is the go for outback dusty abrasion and unauthorised increased psi but we’ve found unneeded so far for our needs :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (10th February 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Thanks. If..more likely when, I get a set i might hit you up for a couple pictures of yours to help fitting if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks @MB , I did have a look at them but I think my preference is the former.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MB (10th February 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @PeeBee what lift have you got mate? I like the idea of the triple bags as that would mean a bit of extra flex but I'm not sure they'll fit on my (probably now slightly sagged) 2in rear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast