Thread: TD42 upgraded fan and hub assembly

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    No doubt wrong here again :-(
    Here’s hoping there is no correlation between mechanical donk bigger cfm fans and stock water pump bearings/seals to OEM suit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No idea on that one @MB . It's only extra axial load, couldn't imagine it'll shorten the bearing life too significantly. I'll let you know if anything unusual happens.

It did occur to me though that I should try get the specs for the hub. I assume they have a set temperature they try to maintain the engine at. I guess for peak efficiency that temp should match up with the thermostat temperature so they're not working against each other.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MB (29th January 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would love to try this combination out but Im concerned nothing will change and I have wasted my coin. I use the G35 fan and now have so much oil in the hub its locked 100% of the time and my Patrol will see 95-105c easily on a 25c day going up a hill when towing.. Coming back from Robe with the Swan in tow, 26c day and hitting some hills and the temps will sky rocket.

Quite embarrassing really, here's me in third gear on a hill that I know I can do 100k's up, in 5th, with ease towing, but I can't as the temp gauge would bend the needle trying to go past its max on the dial. It feels like the old ZD30 days towing. Slow.

But then in the winter, on some down hill runs, my temps would go as low as 45c. I know I have the air flow, I can hear it. It never used to be like this, something just ain't right with mine. I've done every possible mod to the cooling system with little change. Also had it dyno'ed and detuned which showed no improvement.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I can't comment too much yet. I know it's made a dramatic improvement to mine, but I've only done a little towing and my fan and hub would have been the untouched original.

I towed a reasonably hefty hard floor camper for about 3 hours this weekend just gone. Went up a few hills and dropped to 4th just to be kind to 5th but never saw temps hit 90c. They used to hover around 90c without towing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MB (31st January 2020), mudski (29th January 2020)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Usually With my car I'd have to be pushing it to get over 85 ,normal driving conditions.
    Today simply idling with AC on, it began climbing from its usual resting place of 78... And then it sat going between 85-87 ... Never ever seen it do that before .
    2005 TD42TI

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (31st January 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haha I would have been idling on 100c today easily.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (31st January 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha yeah.. Last really hot day we had (before the fan upgrade) I sat idling and it got up to around 100c.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MB (31st January 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,215 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Usually With my car I'd have to be pushing it to get over 85 ,normal driving conditions.
    Today simply idling with AC on, it began climbing from its usual resting place of 78... And then it sat going between 85-87 ... Never ever seen it do that before .
    Stress Less Hodgey Mate!
    Running Mrs MB’s deep winter to peak summer stability now of 88C<>98C comfortably efficient and most happy it appears.
    A kind Guru suggested on here somewhere their “Sweet Spot” was around 92C and I now 100% agree from personal findings
    Tough donk they are and will go a lot higher with short term consciousness

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (31st January 2020), Hodge (31st January 2020)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Stress Less Hodgey Mate!
    Running Mrs MB’s deep winter to peak summer stability now of 88C<>98C comfortably efficient and most happy it appears.
    A kind Guru suggested on here somewhere their “Sweet Spot” was around 92C and I now 100% agree from personal findings
    Tough donk they are and will go a lot higher with short term consciousness

No worries here at all Marko mate. Mind you it was sitting in sun with circa 43C ambient ... Reliably kept me cool!
    2005 TD42TI

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (31st January 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short story time..

Took the patrol about 2 hours away on the long weekend and did a bit of towing with it. Noticed this when i got to where i was going.. (ignore the old belts, got some newies there for it)
    IMG_20200128_113828.jpg

Looks like my brand new hub has done a shaft seal most likely, spitting viscous fluid everywhere. Bugger. I was expecting a battle to sort out replacement so I didn't even look more at it until I got home after the weekend. Checked the ebay listing when I got home "returns accepted, buyer pays return postage". Great, i might get a new one but it's still gunna cost me..

Sent the fella an email with the attached picture and I kid you not, within minutes I got an apologetic response telling me he would immediately send out a new one with a return bag for the old one.

4 days later, boom, new hub lands at the post office.

Yes a bit inconvenient, but sht happens sometimes. Customer service like he actually wants my business. Brilliant.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

mudski (4th February 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    Short story time..

Took the patrol about 2 hours away on the long weekend and did a bit of towing with it. Noticed this when i got to where i was going.. (ignore the old belts, got some newies there for it)
    IMG_20200128_113828.jpg

Looks like my brand new hub has done a shaft seal most likely, spitting viscous fluid everywhere. Bugger. I was expecting a battle to sort out replacement so I didn't even look more at it until I got home after the weekend. Checked the ebay listing when I got home "returns accepted, buyer pays return postage". Great, i might get a new one but it's still gunna cost me..

Sent the fella an email with the attached picture and I kid you not, within minutes I got an apologetic response telling me he would immediately send out a new one with a return bag for the old one.

4 days later, boom, new hub lands at the post office.

Yes a bit inconvenient, but sht happens sometimes. Customer service like he actually wants my business. Brilliant.
    That's great service. Which company did you buy from? I am in the market for one of those shortly.
    Interesting though maybe check your water pump. MudRunnerTD and Matfew's pumps both went at the same time and left the same marks on their fans.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast