Thread: All Things Chev

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are the shots of the bullbar? I need to see what you have done with the oil coolers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (9th March 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before and after 'dyno' drive in/outs would be perfect for here! You'll have to trust my honesty:-) In regards the reverse snorkel pipe choice, reasons being for me was that this truck is mainly off highway at lower speeds. Past my 4.2TD's and current Mrs MB's GU's experienced dust/mist/mud blockages on TJM-Airtecs with tiny back drains, Safari snorkels were shitloads better. Second reason for the 6.5 beast is snow/sleet over winter in the HC. That ice builds up and blocks forward facing heads/drains in my opinion. Thirdly, as much as I shouldn't say this but I do know how to use a 'Hi-Lift' jack on my ute tray corners safely so a 'Ram-Head' would block my rack mount up top :-)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (9th March 2017), rainsey (9th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Very very happy to report that the 4" snorkel and airbox/new custom route all done by Mill @Millweld has worked wonders! Do need to reinstall the second battery now on the chassis as previously planned. Too early to give exact figures and oil coolers aren't hooked up as yet but I can say powers up a minimum 10% would like to say 20% but that's probably too much excitement from its newfound grumble free flowing sound! I do know that water temps truly appear to be more stable, 88-92D max on the flat highway stuff back. I pushed it to roughly 102D on the last final test hill home which depending on ambient temps unloaded would reach between 104-114D tops after last radiator mods. The most intriguing thing has been fuel consumption does appear to be down significantly!! Stay tuned, like Rainsey, works flat out and we all need the coin to keep going:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Haven't even had a chance to see this in person but looks very sexy mate!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

MB (11th March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm putting this out there and apologies if it has already been covered,

Brunswick has sent me over a fix radiator fan flange to see if the viscous coupler is faulty. Immediate results astounding with at threats a 15 degree temp drop in all ranges.

Now struggling to keep the just around town temps over 78 degrees.

Spam have a dual electric fan set up that almost fits perfectly into the space behind the radiator and engine. Only 105mm in depth, with a static air flow of around 3,000 cfm.

I'm not a fan ( pardon the pun) of fixed fans. I can already see my fuel gauge drop before my eyes. Has any one ever played with a total electric solution or has advise based on experience with electric fans.

My thought is as follows:

1: no load on the engine hence no hit on fuel usage
    2: can be controlled via a temp switch if need be and easily tinkered with.
    3: if doing a creek crossing, can actually be turned off
    4: at 1 in h20 static pressure, it sucks 45 amps of current ... ouch.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    My thought is as follows:

1: no load on the engine hence no hit on fuel usage
    2: can be controlled via a temp switch if need be and easily tinkered with.
    3: if doing a creek crossing, can actually be turned off
    4: at 1 in h20 static pressure, it sucks 45 amps of current ... ouch.
    5: Thermo fans still run after ignition is switched off, cooling the radiator down

I know nothing of Chev motors but my only advise would be if going thermo fans, is make sure you have a good shroud around them
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

rainsey (12th March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    5: Thermo fans still run after ignition is switched off, cooling the radiator down

I know nothing of Chev motors but my only advise would be if going thermo fans, is make sure you have a good shroud around them
    Yeah, No brainer there, I have an aluminum Fabricator that has done some work for me that can build one. The shroud, perse, probably only needs to be the interface between the fans and the radiator as the Spal unit I'm looking at has a complete twin fan assembly in a frame already.

Cheers

Rainsey

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (12th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Rainsey, I'm running 2 x Davies Craig 16" fans side by side that pull 2120 cfm each. My reasons were mainly for as you've suggested for easy shut off in creek crossings and heaps of pull still at lower rpm crawling speeds. I do believe though that a good mechanical fan system will outperform my setup on the highway. I do also need to add a second alternator though because each fan draws 19amps and are controlled through a 'Derale' twin thermo switch system roughly 10F degrees apart. So if I need to winch and both fans are on I'm stuffed at the moment. Other cooling mods underway should see the second fan almost not needed I'm hoping.
    Gotta head to dinner now so can send some pics tomorrow if you need mate, Cheers!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

rainsey (12th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost forgot, there is a USA mob doing a twin electric setup for the Duramax donk now and it's a massive 6,000cfm (3,000 x 2 I assume) The amp draw was frightening though, I'll try and find the link tomorrow for you too.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post

On the thurmo fan running after the engine is turned off, I would consider this superfluous as in my naive understanding we want to cool the block. With the engine off, no water is circulated hence we are probably waisting good battery capacity for no reason.

More than happy to be shown the errors of my thought pattern.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Last edited by rainsey; 12th March 2017 at 05:42 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    G'day Rainsey, I'm running 2 x Davies Craig 16" fans side by side that pull 2120 cfm each. My reasons were mainly for as you've suggested for easy shut off in creek crossings and heaps of pull still at lower rpm crawling speeds. I do believe though that a good mechanical fan system will outperform my setup on the highway. I do also need to add a second alternator though because each fan draws 19amps and are controlled through a 'Derale' twin thermo switch system roughly 10F degrees apart. So if I need to winch and both fans are on I'm stuffed at the moment. Other cooling mods underway should see the second fan almost not needed I'm hoping.
    Gotta head to dinner now so can send some pics tomorrow if you need mate, Cheers!
    You have just hit on something that I never thought of, thank you .... winching. Having said that, most of my winching has been short periods, probably no more than half an hour and not in a situation where I could not stop. This does not mean this will change.

I am pondering on the idea of a hydraulic winch. I still want to do this as you can winch all day and only suck 2 or 3 amps. The reason I have not done it yet is that with the set up under the bonnet with the serpentine belt, stuffed if I can figure out how to put in an additional oil pump. Don't want to winch off my stearing pump.

Thanks for the jog of the synaps. Good point.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Page 61 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast