Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitting intercooler fan

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    STD scoop starts to works up to 60kph and the larger scoop works up to 80kph,
    Thats what I was told when I brought my larger scoop.
    Swapped it back once to see if it really did make a difference,
    Big difference so big scoop went back on,
    The larger scoop has vanes so the front of the IC gets air flow not just the rear of the IC
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm with Hodge and 3D

Fan - works below about 30 to 40 KPH then gradually becomes an impediment to flow the faster you go above that

Bigger scoop - works at higher speeds and is more efficient at directing airflow.

Not wanting to get involved in a huge discussion about aerodynamics but basically... a given scoop cross section at given ram air speed into a given flow restriction (the Intercooler in this case) results in a given flow and deltaP (pressure change)

Add a fan and you get a better flow at low speed as you have dropped pressure at the I/C low pressure side (puller) or increased pressure on the inlet side (pusher) and now have a greater deltaP.
    This holds true until the ram air capacity (CFM) exceeds the fan air capacity (CFM) at which time the fan starts to become an obstruction and draw energy from the airflow raising pressure and lowering deltaP

Add a scoop and you get better flow as you go faster as you are raising the inlet pressure for a given speed and increasing deltaP.
    deltaP is not linear to speed increase because air compresses so this holds true until other factors like air compression and/or the vehicle aero affects the flow into the scoop and that happens to the bigger scoops at higher speeds than the factory jobbie so the advantage diminishes with speed.

Bottom line for Scoop V Fan is... low speed slogging (below 30 KPH or so) fan is better, high speed cruising/towing (above 60 KPH) bigger scoop is better
    Last edited by the evil twin; 30th January 2018 at 12:14 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all valued input, thanks everyone.

My truck is a daily driver and all my driving is 100km/h stuff. I wonder what affect a fan will have with a standard scoop?? I reckon I'll be able to tell.

I'd get an ARE scoop but I don't know about the price of them, seems pretty steep. My plan is to keep the OEM scoop & IC. Fit a fan, see what happens. Need more change, fit a new IC, need more change fit a new scoop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I ran a fan for over 100,000 K's with full instrumentation IE EGT, Scangauge etc etc on a CRD with factory scoop.

I can pretty much guarantee they do absolutely bugger all over 40 or maybe 50 KPH.
    Mine was set up as IE as a puller, flush under the I/C with some thin hi-density foam added as strips for ducting wherever the fan housing had a gap.

Having said that, the fans aren't all that expensive and nothing beats having a crack.
    Who knows, your setup may well get acceptable results
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=the evil twin;751553I can pretty much guarantee they do absolutely bugger all over 40 or maybe 50 KPH.
    [/QUOTE]

Yep, that's what I'm expecting. I'm hoping for improvements in power in the heat at around 20-40 kmh. If I do I'll be happy. If I don't, yep I've not wasted much money.

Thanks for your input ET.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (30th January 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    I used one of these as a Puller on my CRD I/C due to needing slim body because of clearance issues http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HIGH-PERF...cAAOSwVL1WCjie
    Hey @the evil twin did that intercooler fan fit OK onto your intercooler? Did you mount it via holes drilled into the side 'wings' of the stock IC? That's how I'm hoping to mount one.
    Last edited by 10G; 12th February 2018 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Hey @the evil twin did that intercooler fan fit OK onto your intercooler? Did you mount it via holes drilled into the side 'wings' of the stock IC? That's how I'm hoping to mount one.
    Yep, mine was almost a perfect fit using 'slotted' holes as there wasn't quite enough meat on the wings.

I toyed with the idea of some thin strap to effectively widen the wings but that would have been a fair bit of extra ginning around for not much gain in mounting strength.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

10G (12th February 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got around to fitting my IC fan.

It was a pretty good fit, but had to cut out some of the cowal so it would fit flush on the IC:

20180225_114456-1.jpg

It sat flat once those cuts were made:

20180225_132256-1.jpg

That thing with the 2 black leads to it is a 50 degrees C nomally open switch.

I put a simple toggle switch in the power line so I can turn it off manually:

20180225_151140-1.jpg

It all works pretty well. You can easily feel it sucking in air when stopped via the IC bonnet scoop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My bad... forgot to menetion I had to do the same mod to the cowling on mine as well.
    No biggee as only took a few secs on a linisher belt.

I didn't do the 'placcy mounting thingy thru the core' method.
    I was concerned the vibration over time would either wear thru the mounts, wear thru the I/C core or both.

I rotated mine 90 deg to the pics and mounted it on slots in the wings (as prev mentioned)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I expect those plastic strips to become useless sooner rather than later, I'll switch to cable ties then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast