Thread: How to make your own 4" stainless steel snorkel

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How to make your own 4" stainless steel snorkel

This is an easy DIY job to make your own 4" stainless steel snorkel and all up should only cost about $200.

What you need...

1. 2m of 4" stainless steel tube. (Steel companies, etc. I purchased mine from Austral Wright Metals in Epping, Victoria for $26 per lineal metre...Bargain!)
    2. 1.5m of 4" flexi wire wound pipe. Purple Pig stores
    3. 1 x 90 and 2 x 45 degree 4" rubber elbows.....Any truck parts shop.
    4. 7 hose clamps to suit 4" (101mm diameter)
    5. 30cm's of Rubber "U" extrusion to wrap around the cut....Clark Rubber stores.
    6. Brackets to hold the 4" pipe to car and fixings....Your choice

This is based on a 4.2D GQ Patrol so instructions may differ depending on your Patrol...

After removing the pre filter, cut out a square on the inner guard enough for the 4" pipe to go through. Approx 110mm should do it. It does not have to be perfect and being a tight spot I decided to just angle grind it...

Don't forget to prime and paint any raw steel too...

We now need to locate the centre of the hole to be cut on the outside guard. Use a punch or just anything sharp to punch the centre location from inside the engine bay. You don't need to punch it all the way through, just enough to locate the mark from the outer guard. The picture below is hard to see but you can just see a small punch mark to work off from the outside.

Time to mark out the circumferance of the rubber elbow that will go into the guard which can be tricky and you want to make sure It's correct...If unsure, start small and work your way out.

I found a PVC pipe with the same diameter and cut it on a 45 degree angle to almost sit exactly where the pipe will on the guard. On a GQ you are cutting it right on the bend so this was the best idea I found to get it spot on. Trace around the pipe using a whiteboard marker.

See how the circle is almost perfect and if you tried to hold the elbow on that spot you wouldn't get a perfect circle due to the wheel arch.

The 90 degree elbow that will sit in here will need to have an elongation in the hole to allow the inner radius of the 90 degree bend to sit inside too otherwise the snorkel wont sit close to the panel.

You need to measure the distance of the bend up until it runs straight again, see below...

When you have that measurement use the PVC stencil again but move it that distance to the right for your elongation of the 90 degree elbow...It sounds rough but it worked 100% on mine.

Here is the stencil drawn, ready to cut...

The fun part...lol...Cut the shape out!

I used a nibbler for this, it didnt give a perfect result but a lot safer then a hole saw or jigsaw in my opinion and after you put the trim on you can't even tell any rough corners, etc. I did file and grind some touch ups afterwards but didn't worry too much about having it perfect...

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

2TROLLFAM (7th March 2012), BSRT.Beast (22nd April 2015), dattodanil (17th June 2012), JohnoCass (3rd June 2012), Majestic (23rd October 2014), SammiGQ (10th January 2012), scott.a.green (15th August 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Prime, KillRust and or paint the cut. put the trim around the cut and silicone the outer trim to ensure no water can get in.

Set the pipe and 90 degree up as shown below and cut the pipe down where you want to start heading up the A pillar. As below I marked out where we cut mine. It was a whisker left of the middle of the aerial or exactly between the "O" & "L" of the PATROL badge.

The fun part...Put it all together and duct tape it to your car to hold in place to hold it.

Now you need to brace it to your vehicle.

I ended up getting funky and used some brackets I had in the shed, rolled them to form around the snorkel using a treated pine post, hammer and vise grips and beat the hell out of it until it was shaped to how I wanted it.

Many people simply get a Z shape bracket and fix it at the top of the pillar only so this is entirely up to you...

Drill a hole and nutsert it...

Then apply some velcro padding so the bracket doesn't end up ripping your car apart and rusting your panels for years to come...

Sprayed the brackets waited 10 years for it to dry being a sunny Melbourne day and here is the final result!!!

VERY COOL, VERY TOUGH AND VERY EASY!

If anyone needs help or any advice then just ask, happy to help!!!

5. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

2TROLLFAM (7th March 2012), blocko05 (18th July 2015), Bloodyaussie (27th August 2015), BSRT.Beast (22nd April 2015), da' maverick (3rd April 2011), Ducer (25th January 2013), GQNissan (15th January 2012), GqTurbo (11th February 2014), JohnoCass (3rd June 2012), Karlos (13th December 2017), Majestic (23rd October 2014), Muttley (14th July 2013), my third 256 (29th April 2011), npw112 (2nd June 2016), num_301 (6th July 2012), oxmann (21st November 2012), ozzyboy (7th January 2012), red_spider (20th December 2012), SammiGQ (10th January 2012), tiggar03 (16th October 2011), tusman (4th December 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excelent mate
    but i noticed you started with a can of 4x and finnished off with airosol lmao
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowoolies View Post
    excelent mate
    but i noticed you started with a can of 4x and finnished off with airosol lmao
    And guess what I didn't notice the difference in taste whatsover...lol

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    that a grand grand job there mate, now can you come and do mine???? lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clunk71 View Post
    that a grand grand job there mate, now can you come and do mine???? lol
    Plane ticket and free beer mate and I'm there!!!....lol

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    Plane ticket and free beer mate and I'm there!!!....lol
    how about 2 cartons of bourban and dry????? lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clunk71 View Post
    how about 2 cartons of bourban and dry????? lol
    strewth ........im on my way over now lmao
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks A1 mate...well done!

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, seriously mate - it looks a treat! I mean, I'm even hunting to find something to take the piss out of you over, but alas, it's a job well done and one that was worth doing!!

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast