User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up my very first Patrol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you notice much difference apart from the sound ? am getting it done at Onandoff Road Brendale. supplied by Beaudesert exhausts in S/S
    Last edited by Dan02; 3rd May 2016 at 10:19 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, I had a very lethargic NA 4.2
    I fitted a turbo & intercooler & 3" exhaust all at the same time

tis now fast enough for me to get speeding fines......................................
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (4th May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great looking rig mate. Cant wait to see pics of the new mods. It will be interesting to hear the results of your exhaust system.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would like to share my experience with anyone interested regarding changes, mods and adventures (hopefully), is it be appropriate to start a new thread charting the evolution of the ... dunno what to call it yet or just keep adding on here.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just about Thursday, night shift tonight then its straight into mechanics on way home, hopefully will all be sorted. Tie rod ends, kingpin bearings, panhard rod etc all getting a look over. then rust proofing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropped the car off today after night shift. picked it up this arvo' and absolutely no difference regarding wobble. a bit disapointed.
    Total cost $500 for 5000k service and the wheel balance \ rotate etc.
    Also says
    Rear axle bearing seal is leaking which costs around $480
    Front right spring sag
    2001 Patrol 4.2TD manual 2" lift; Beaudesert 3" Exhaust

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
    Dropped the car off today after night shift. picked it up this arvo' and absolutely no difference regarding wobble. a bit disapointed.
    Total cost $500 for 5000k service and the wheel balance \ rotate etc.
    Also says
    Rear axle bearing seal is leaking which costs around $480
    Front right spring sag
    IMO, A good place to start is to find a alignment shop that can give you a "print out" of what you have now.
    That is, caster toe camber etc.
    Then you can compare that against standard specs and go from there.
    wobble is a combination of alot, or just some issues,
    some just replace the panhard bushes and problem solved.
    others panhard bushes, caster bushes, wheel bearings, ball joints, swivels bearings & rims.
    Me thinks Its a matter of finding the worst worn component and go from there.

Some tyre balancing machines have a degree of inaccuracy built in, and don't really bal up all that well.
    And checking for a bent rim is worth looking at , that will upset the apple cart to.
    If the problem has been there for some time, your tyres may be worn out of round.

Think I'll add, rotate n balance your tyres on a regular basis once problem is solved.
    ahh before I forget,
    Been my experience that the old rule of thumb of 1 deg of caster correction per 1 inch of lift has not been enough to correct caster problems either.
    It can depend on chassie alignment , 2 of my patrols have needed 3 deg caster correction for 2 inch lift to get it right, and only then was wobble gone.
    And those concave shaped (No Bull) rubber caster bushes can give to much flex and add to wobble syndrome, but some argue extra flex with them for off Rd.
    Hope this helps ya out.
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:

Dan02 (7th May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just gone through the first tank of fuel. 925k's. pretty happy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:

Robo (19th May 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
    Just gone through the first tank of fuel. 925k's. pretty happy.
    ...and that will be the last time you see it like that. LOL

Nah, sounds like you have a project rig now.

A few observations I have made, you live in the city and likely going to be doing a lot of pavement work.

• Don't go to nuts with raising her up too high. If the thing has an extra 2 inches, then leave it. Going more just puts you further in the air and more top-heavy which leads to body-rolling every corner.
    • Air-con is likely more a priority for you, get the gas levels checked and make sure you don't have water in the system (check the indicator site-glasses).
    • 3" exhaust will be a good match for the rig, bigger is just going to drone a lot more with little gain. Speaking of which, the claim of the 20-30% is smelling of horse-shit. 5-15% is more like it.
    • Wobbles, already covered. Jack each front tyre up just off ground, give it the wobble test, front wheel bearings were my issue and an easy fix.
    • A lot of the ZD30 mods still apply, oil catch-can, inter-cooling, boost control and increases etc. etc. The TD42 does allow easy fueling increase with the two screws but get the zorst, inter-cooling and boost done first. If you have the factory blow-off popper, it will blow around 13PSI.
    • Tyres, unless you have a complete set of spare rims, stay with a good road-terrain tyre around the 33" area. Bigger is not legal generally but muddies will see a lot of road noise and shitty handling.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LostBenji For This Useful Post:

Dan02 (19th May 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny thing is I took it for its first dirt track bash the other day - just to see if she does actually work in all the ratios / drives etc (it does). Next trip on the freeway noticed wobbles completely gone! wtf. I slowed down then back up through the "danger zone" around 80kph a few times but nothing! smooth as. Awsome I thought all fixed so beaut can go back to gettin the exhaust done....a few days later on another trip into town and well the dreaded wobble she come back, Waht ! but at least not as bad as before. So i figured maybe cause its hardly ever been in 4wd the fronts somehow getting bound up or something so off again to dirt track for another quick go in 4wd, then back on the freeway - bugger all difference, didnt bush bash as long as last time though. And so the mystery remains , its in the shop Tuesday for a decent go over of the front suspension by reputable patrol mech.
    Last edited by Dan02; 18th June 2016 at 05:43 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast