Page 71 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Chev

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good news, just picked up Rossco's old alt and I'm 99.99% hopeful after measuring it will fit, bolt out, bolt in :-) Hole measurements spacings are identical The only difference looks like the GQTD42 alt vac pump protudes a further 15mm max.
    Thanks for the 170a ebay link Phil, I'm biting the bullet and maxing the M/C now ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Some good news, just picked up Rossco's old alt and I'm 99.99% hopeful after measuring it will fit, bolt out, bolt in :-) Hole measurements spacings are identical The only difference looks like the GQTD42 alt vac pump protudes a further 15mm max.
    Thanks for the 170a ebay link Phil, I'm biting the bullet and maxing the M/C now ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Excellent.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (14th May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmmmm... Says the item has ended 'unsold' and the seller only has 2 x second hand cars in their 'other' items :-( Maybe a 170a GQTD42 alt was too good to be true! Sent seller a message, fingers crossed for a response some day.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried patrolapart @MB thats where I got my replacement alternator for me ute, granted I'm only running a 4.2Ti
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

MB (14th May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure have mate :-) It was 'Shorty' on the counter that said the 125a had ceased production and highest available now was something like 110a I think. My truck needs double that in theory!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just found another link on the Delco Remy 38SI 'new release' (a Borg Warner Company) has several videos within the link, super impressive alternators! http://delco.remy.bitwisesolutions.c...el-Family/38SI

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmmmm... Says the item has ended 'unsold' and the seller only has 2 x second hand cars in their 'other' items :-( Maybe a 170a GQTD42 alt was too good to be true! Sent seller a message, fingers crossed for a response some day.
    Mark, the item has ended because the auction period expired. He has relisted the alternator, have another look.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (14th May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok great, so it is, thanks Phil! Quite brief 'Item description' says 'guaranteed' so I guess if it doesn't pull a true 170a should be returnable even though the advert says 'no returns'? I'm not too savy on electrics mate, do you reckon it's even possible to squeeze 170a out of an alt that size mate?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok great, so it is, thanks Phil! Quite brief 'Item description' says 'guaranteed' so I guess if it doesn't pull a true 170a should be returnable even though the advert says 'no returns'? I'm not too savy on electrics mate, do you reckon it's even possible to squeeze 170a out of an alt that size mate?
    You need to send the guy a question on the 'duty cycle rating' as this is important if you are after a power source to satisfy your demand. Your demand in all likelihood is going to typically be topping up of the battery after starting on a daily basis. Any alternator will handle that. Your 36a draw for the fans is probably getting up close to what the manufacturer would be happy with on a constant basis for a 90a unit also.

Your focus is on the extreme end of the scale where you have sustained draw at high current. So, I have no doubt this alternator could supply 170a but the question is for how long? If you are sitting on the side of a hill and have to winch for 45 minutes with breaks in between, you might find this is adequate. It will get hot, and its performance will taper off to a degree. The next thing you then need to consider is the battery you are using and if it can take the sustained draw down and then boost charge over an extended period - it will also get hot. Will your battery isolation system handle 170a also, as this could be another issue. I have for this reason got the 200a unit hooked up directly to the 1200cca/200A/h battery without intermediate control. The smaller 110a unit goes int the CTEK controllers and the batteries get up to an 80a boost charge and then a 20a staged charge.

The advert is pitched at high amp users such as in comp trucks, but maybe see if you can find out what the comp truck guys do, especially the winch challenges - this is perhaps a more relevant starting point, especially with the outlay, and you want to be happy with the result. I can't find where I bought my 200a unit unfortunately but it was from the USA.

Sorry, as usual a bit long winded, but you need to consider the system as well. Is there a comp truck guy within the forum who can advise on what they have used to set up for this duty?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (14th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,387 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Comp truck guys all run 24V systems, so theoretically half the current draw but realistically are winching for only about 30 second at a time. I couldn't see you winching for more than a few minutes at a time either Mark and with short breaks in between as well. Can't think of a time I have winched for more than 10 minutes at a time, with breaks to re run the winch rope.
    Their lifespan on their batteries is quite short though and might have to replace them every few race meets.
    Keep in mind these guys are running at least 2x 6hp motors at 24V, electric thermo fans etc... as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MB (14th May 2017), PeeBee (14th May 2017)

Page 71 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast