OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real quick starter motor question!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real quick starter motor question!

Just yesterday I had my flywheel and clutch replaced as my engine made a grinding noise when I cranked the starter and it took a long time to start if the car has been sitting overnight. This morning I went to start the engine and the same issue was there. Apparently it is possible that after a clutch and flywheel replacement the engine can grind as there is residual dust from the install, this would fix itself after a little while. I took out the starter motor and took a look at the bendix but am unsure as to how damaged it is, can somebody tell me if my bendix is too damaged or if my issue is probably a dust/weak fuel pump combo; starter motor picture will be attached.
    I need to know ASAP, please and thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To me if you had those noises prior to clutch and f/w change ,my first thought would be the start is cactus. I can't see how a f/w or clutch could make those noise when starting. Unless the clutch is literally falling apart. Or you had a really shagged DMF. A bit of residual dust shouldn't make grinding noises. Unless its like sand.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    To me if you had those noises prior to clutch and f/w change ,my first thought would be the start is cactus. I can't see how a f/w or clutch could make those noise when starting. Unless the clutch is literally falling apart. Or you had a really shagged DMF. A bit of residual dust shouldn't make grinding noises. Unless its like sand.
    So would it be worth getting a new starter? Does the bendix look too damaged from the photo? Otherwise, am I able to crank the starter while it is out of the engine and see if it makes the noise while disconnected?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The gear does look a bit worse for wear. But Im not sure if its too far gone. You sure the noise is not coming from the motor itself?
    As for cranking it not in the car. Never done it before, but I cant see why not.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Id be looking at the ring gear as well, as the motor will only stop in a few places it may be worn there.
    What type of driving have you been doing , plenty of bog holes Etc lol,
    Pull the starter apart and clean it out
    X 2 on the gear it is very worn IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If by the ring gear you mean the teeth that are around the fly wheel, that was just replaced yesterday, the old flywheel teeth were chopped up, a few were even missing, the noise is only there when the started is cranking so I am pretty sure it's from the starter itself, I will give the starter a clean out and see how that goes. And I have been in a couple bog holes recently, but the noise had been there since I bought the car. The store told me that it was the flywheel and they supplied a new one for me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Id be looking at the ring gear as well, as the motor will only stop in a few places it may be worn there.
    What type of driving have you been doing , plenty of bog holes Etc lol,
    Pull the starter apart and clean it out
    X 2 on the gear it is very worn IMO
    13682332_10201775811795055_557657398_o.jpg

This is the inside of the starter, that gear in there feels as if it is clogged up, im not sure if it is supposed to spin if I was to push it, it wiggles and can move a little bit although it feels at if there is junk in there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eben For This Useful Post:

threedogs (13th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah no worries to spin the starter over out of the car. Just hook up power to the motor and then bridge across to the solenoid should sound smoothish. Check the solenoid throws out the drive gear quickly and check the ring gear too. I rebuilt mine not long ago as it was really noisy but was more of a groan. Replaced all bearings as some were pretty shsgged, cleaned, lubed and good as new. Or could just replace whole unit if it is suspect easier but more $$. A bit of dust shouldn't be too much a concern pretty normal.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eben View Post
    13682332_10201775811795055_557657398_o.jpg

This is the inside of the starter, that gear in there feels as if it is clogged up, im not sure if it is supposed to spin if I was to push it, it wiggles and can move a little bit although it feels at if there is junk in there.
    Yeah looks pretty crusty inside. Haven't pulled apart a reduction gear assembly before before looks a litte tricky. I reckon try and clean it the best you can and lube it up. Check what the bearings are like but seeing as is all apart well worth putting some new ones in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I took out the starter to give it a clean, cleaned out some gunk that was inside and then put it back in. Now it spins although the bendix does not seem to shoot out and there is no car starting to be done. Time for a new starter motor!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast