Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gearbox falling apart ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Can alter pinion angle. This can then amplify the sound.
    I'm guessing that's probably why many of us hear the grunting noise more, 'cos most of us get the suspension lifted.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to my world dowie.
    As far as I know a lot of 4.2's have this issue. I've only ever met one bloke who claims he has fixed his by adjusting the pinion. This was also suggested to me by @nissannewby. Also on that note, regarding 4.2's take heed of what this bloke says.

Read my post here about the supposed pinion angle fix.

However... Mine has been doing it since picking it up from Adelaide @ 90,000. And it was stock as rock! No bigger wheels, no lift kit, NOTHING. And mine has been the worst I and others have ever heard. And still is.
    Car now has a lift kit, larger wheels, fresh oils all around and it made a difference worth jack shit.

When I picked it up and got to Adelaide hills, I shit my pants thinking is this thing gonna last to Melbourne I thought the clutch was rooted... Thought I bought a dud.

My clutch is suspected of being stuffed, which will be changed soon, so I don't know whether that may or may not fix it. Time will tell.
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Turn your music up Eric! Lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (4th November 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses.
    It seems it is very common , albeit "normal". The car is going to nissan for a airbag recall soon and i might ask them.

Hoge. You say you clutch is caput ? How many mileages does your car have.
    I got my clutch adjusted at last service.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a 4.2 as well Dowie,

It made that noise from the first time I drove it with 135000klm on the clock, at 206000klm the clutch was replaced with an OEM part and the noise was gone it is slowly coming back after another 30000klm.

The noise is generated by the springs rattling in the clutch plate.

The old clutch they had a fair bit of play, the new one they were tight but over time they compress and the rattle returns.

Nothing to worry about, you just have to learn to love it unfortunately!
    Cheers
    Macca

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 4.2 "gearbox growl" is there from new. I know as I asked the service manager when I bought mine new back in 2006. At the first service you could just hear it and he said the it will only get worse and he was spot on. He has worked for Nissan for ever so he knows his stuff and his favorite vehicle is the 4.2 Patrol. He said it was something to do with the way the gears are cut to make them so strong. The quieter cruiser boxes are not so strong.
    My son's GQ ute has over 500k and the growl is very noisy as he uses auto transmission fluid in it but it would be quieter if he used Castrol 75 or 80 gearbox oil as recommended by local workshop.
    Edit. Sorry auto transmission fluid is in transfer case and not gearbox. Castrol in gearbox as it should be
    Last edited by Wizard52; 8th November 2016 at 09:49 AM.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowie View Post
    Hoge. You say you clutch is caput ? How many mileages does your car have.
    I got my clutch adjusted at last service.
    Mine is at 105,000 now. I believe my clutch is rooted as it engages very close to leg "almost" lifted all the way (closest to seat).
    How did you get it adjusted? I was under the impression the clutch is non adjustable. Do you mean the clutch hydraulics bled or something ?

By the way You will learn to live with the growl. I have even though mine is very loud. I live at the end of a court and every little noise echoes. So you can imagine this loud early in the morning, especially when cold. Sounds like somebody is rolling a 50 gallon steel drum full of metal bits down my street.
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought idpop in and update this. The car went in fora new clutch and it has been a nightmare . But good result in the end .
    New exedy clutch went in. Noise didnt go away. On our way to bairnsdale the hydraulic s of the clutch let go. Came home on a tow truck.
    Car went back in for a warranty fix and while they had it also done a shaft bearing as suggested by a young apprentice who also has a 4.2 . I went with it and it paid off. No more noise.
    However he did mention that he will be very surprised if it doesnt return to usual growl before 10k was done. It is just what these cars do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12