Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S3 Switch Mount for Sub Fuel Tank

Howdy all.

First question for all the tech guys out there . Is there a known switch that can be used as a replacement for the sub fuel tank one that will fit into the area on the left of the steering wheel?

I`m just looking at different options with the stereo surround and Redarc gauges. I do have another surround ready to go in as I have butchered the pictured one.

Also if there is a known fascia panel for behind the gauges to make it look a little neater. If not then I`ll get something 3d printed.

CheersIMG_20200109_103535310_LI (3).jpg
    Last edited by Pimpmyhubcap; 9th January 2020 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Pics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In short, no there isn't if you want to keep the system standard (won't transfer unless there is space in the main and auto switch off when sub empty).

If you want a "manual system" that you have to monitor and transfer as space/fuel is available then, yes, you can power the transfer pump directly.

I had a manual 'emergency' setup on my Coil Cab (90 litre sub 145 litre main) as I used to do some very remote travel and as we all know the factory system can be a PIA occasionally.

It was setup like a TC lock up system IE in normal the factory system worked, in emergency a relay took control of the pump and fed it 12 volts direct.
    You get the sub tank warning lamp in emergency and until you get a chance to disco the battery/ pull the fuses to force a reset but that helps remind you to keep an eye on fuel tank levels
    Last edited by the evil twin; 9th January 2020 at 01:55 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Pimpmyhubcap (9th January 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pillar pod for the gauges may solve your problem.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The subtank switch has:
    - an indicator light (2 wires)
    - illumination/dash light (2 wires)
    - a single make/normally open non-locking contact - contact only closes while held pressed (2 wires).
    Total of 6 wires.
    Any switch with those basic fittings that fits the hole you want to use should suffice.
    An alternative is just the single contact and mount the indicator light separately; and you could possibly do without the illumination light.
    On mine (2015 GU wagon) I just extended the form wiring so I could mount the existing switch in a spare position on the centre console near the gear lever where it can be easily seen and operated. There was a blank position so I just swapped the blanking plate and the switch. The existing wiring will not reach without some extra length.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

Pimpmyhubcap (10th January 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No thanks Bill. Trying to keep windscreen clutter down to a minimum and pillar blind spots away.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brissieboy View Post
    The subtank switch has:
    - an indicator light (2 wires)
    - illumination/dash light (2 wires)
    - a single make/normally open non-locking contact - contact only closes while held pressed (2 wires).
    Total of 6 wires.
    Any switch with those basic fittings that fits the hole you want to use should suffice.
    An alternative is just the single contact and mount the indicator light separately; and you could possibly do without the illumination light.
    On mine (2015 GU wagon) I just extended the form wiring so I could mount the existing switch in a spare position on the centre console near the gear lever where it can be easily seen and operated. There was a blank position so I just swapped the blanking plate and the switch. The existing wiring will not reach without some extra length.
    That makes it all seem rather easy Brissieboy Do you have a picture of the location? You arent on the northside are you?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpmyhubcap View Post
    That makes it all seem rather easy Brissieboy Do you have a picture of the location? You arent on the northside are you?
    Not much to show in a pic, but here it is. The hardest part is getting the panels out and then the switches from the panels.
    And I am at Toowong.subtankswitch.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

Pimpmyhubcap (10th January 2020), trev zd30 (11th January 2020)