Thread: project patrol - step one

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

project patrol - step one

Went to have a look at a 2002 Patrol this morning thats come into my mates work to be parted out, motor and gearbox have already been sold along with the rims and tyres, its nice and straight with some nice add ons like front and rear bars, roof racks ect.

I am considering the purchase for a project, but I got some major things to consider, like engine and gearbox for starters, from what the vin number has told me it had a manual ZD30.

Ive done a couple of petrol engine conversions before so I’m aware they’re a big job but nothing diesel, so i'm lacking in knowledge of engine gearbox combos to suit

What I’m looking to achieve is:
    Turbo diesel (if 8 cyclinder will consider non turbo)
    Preferable 6-8 cylinders
    Manual gearbox
    Little electrical gizmos as possible
    A motor thats super easy to work on myself with consideration to accessibility of parts and prices.

I could work on my Holden 308 all day with ample engine room and simplicity, if they made a 308 in diesel id buy one.

Any ideas of a motors and gearboxes that tick those boxes?

P.S. Not worried about emissions or engineering as it most likely wont be rego'd, unless it can be... maybe, i dont know yet. Serious suggestions only please.

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What year is the body?

A common conversion is an LS1 or LS2. plenty getting around and they go great. Most Comp trucks these data are running an LS1 or 2 with the GMH Auto behind it. Easy to engineer.

Duramax diesel goes in but big coin. Chevy v8 diesel goes in too . All able to be Engineered.

There is a few getting around with 304 V8 but the feed back is not great.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    What year is the body?

A common conversion is an LS1 or LS2. plenty getting around and they go great. Most Comp trucks these data are running an LS1 or 2 with the GMH Auto behind it. Easy to engineer.

Duramax diesel goes in but big coin. Chevy v8 diesel goes in too . All able to be Engineered.

There is a few getting around with 304 V8 but the feed back is not great.
    Not one mention of the TD42 Darren? Ya slippin' mate!
    TDs drop pretty much straight in. Can use the ZD radiator setup, wish I knew that when doing mine. Can use the ZD gearbox, the factory TD box is the same but with different ratios, need a TD cross member, loom, exhaust, and engine mountings need to be cut and re welded. No engineering required (in Vic)also to do this as its was a factory option for this vehicle. Many big wreckers keep all this in kit form that they part out from a wreck, so you could score all you need at one place.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Dr Gary (7th July 2017), MudRunnerTD (29th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Not one mention of the TD42 Darren? Ya slippin' mate!
    TDs drop pretty much straight in. Can use the ZD radiator setup, wish I knew that when doing mine. Can use the ZD gearbox, the factory TD box is the same but with different ratios, need a TD cross member, loom, exhaust, and engine mountings need to be cut and re welded. No engineering required (in Vic)also to do this as its was a factory option for this vehicle. Many big wreckers keep all this in kit form that they part out from a wreck, so you could score all you need at one place.
    Ha that's why I asked the year. Then got side tracked and my phone was driving me nuts.

He was asking mainly about any V8 options but certainly a TD42 would drop straight into a body up to 2006 without any dramas. Drive in drive out conversions available. Drop some coin on a 12mm pump and decent intercooler and you will get some great power.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 29th June 2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mudski (29th June 2017)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The body plate near the bonnet catch said said Jan 2002.

I'd really like to stick to diesel, LS1-LS2 are petrol right? but apart from that parts would be cheap and easy to get.

I'll look into the duramax some more cause i can see a heap of threads on em, though the sound of a 6.5L Chev sounds really nice to me.

Came across the 2000 patrol on brunswick diesel with the supercharged 6.5 Chev, if i wasnt thinking project id just buy that.

After some more google searching i saw some info on the Lexus 4L v8 1ZU Motor going into patrol, some searching found some images of motors with toyota rocket covers, any opinions on putting a toyota motor into a nissan , motors look pretty sweet with a blower ontop.

I will consider the TD42, im not ignoring it im just looking at other options first only because i can save the time and effort and just wait for a a patrol with a TD4.2 to pop up and spend less time and more money on bolting on a turbo.
    Last edited by DickieO; 30th June 2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd either be looking at a Cummins 6BT or Duramax I reckon.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gubigfish For This Useful Post:

MB (30th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    I'd either be looking at a Cummins 6BT or Duramax I reckon.
    Either one of those would also be my current dream Tattslotto motor for sure! Smaller diesels have had a fun/fast/zippy ZD30, a few TD4.2T's and now a 6.5NA Chev. Reckon an LS1 would be most fun or an older 350NA Chev petrol. Reliability older wise one cannot beat a TD4.2/T/i if kept within a little honest HP IMHO. 6.5 diesel Chev's are an acquired taste, overpriced conversions, but do really grow on you with their slow revving heavy cranking tractor inertia.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi MudRUnner--can you point me to a "drive in, drive out" shop? Thanks
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"