The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Will the over boosting cause any damage to anything??? And if limp mode kicks in, can that be cleared with scanguage or the Torque app??
    Over boost wont damage anything, unless it gets over 30psi which it wont. Limp mode can be deactivated by simply lift the foot off the go pedal and back down again. The CEL will probably come on and will needed to be cleared using the scan gauge...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 766 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the 3" exhaust went on yesterday, went for a 30 - 40 minute drive on the way home.

I got a resonator in place of a muffler and 200CPI cat. First impressions, maybe the most noticeable difference is an increase in cabin noise. I wouldn't call it annoying, it's like having mud tyres on, it's a noise that can be tolerated, but it is noisier than the stock exhaust. I reckon I got it right, I wanted as little restriction in the exhaust flow as possible with as little increase in noise as possible, so I'm happy with how that has turned out. Actually it was a bit windy yesterday, so some of that noise may have been wind through my roof rack.

Next would be throttle responsiveness. It is more responsive to the throttle and it seems to be more responsive to small throttle movements which is great as it helps with car control. I can also feel the motor exhaling more freely.

There's a little more of a rumble upon startup & shutdown which sounds nice. I can't notice any more turbo whistle which really doesn't bother me.

On boost levels, if anything I think they went down, the highest I saw was 13, didn't see a 15 which I regularly saw with the stock exhaust.

I didn't fit the exhaust my mechanic did and he said it bolted straight in no problems.

I reckon with what I've got versus what I paid it was a good purchase, I'm happy.

Now for the Dawse valve ......

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (1st March 2017), mudski (25th February 2017), threedogs (25th February 2017)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One gauge in, the EGT gauge.

20170225_170352.jpg

Looks good I reckon.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

gubigfish (25th February 2017), threedogs (25th February 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only one issue mate. You cant see how fast you will be going after 170ks. Lol.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (1st March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    One gauge in, the EGT gauge.

20170225_170352.jpg

Looks good I reckon.
    I did something similar with my EGT gauge except its a rectangular and flatter but wider.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the exhaust is fitted up and looking great. One thing though. The mechanic said he couldn't refit the heatshield as the probe for the EGT gauge is now in the way.

I stuck my hand down there after a 30 min drive and yep, it gets hot down there. What have others done here? There's that exhaust wrap stuff, I was thinking of wrapping that around the heater hoses as they are pretty close to the turbo. Does that stuff work backwards like that??

I was hoping to rig up some ducting from the front and point it at the area, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that, there's not a lot of room.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread so far - I'm happy I seem to have gone down the right path. 3" exhaust, dp chip and scan gauge. Dual pillar VDO egt and boost gauges.
    Boost was still all over the place though. Jumping to 20 psi, then dropping to 10 then building back up to 15-16 psi - all while maintaining the same speed on a flat.
    Fitted one of mudski's dawes/needle kits over the weekend and it stopped the erratic boost issues I was experiencing. Car is much nicer to drive with a smooth boost curve.
    I used the instructions in mudski's kit and had everything up and running in a couple hours - car sits nicely on about 15-16psi at full boost and on 10psi at 100k's.
    EGT's stay around 200-250 around town and only hit 400 when I'm right up it and drop again pretty quick.
    I had my exhaust fitted by Berrima diesel and I see they cut the original heat shield in half to fit in the new dump pipe - worked out ok 'cause I had to get the egt probe fitted at a later date.
    Interested to hear if anyone has tried any additional heat shielding - I heard sometimes the heat under the bonnets of gu's sometimes kill the aux battery - so far so good though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dermie72 For This Useful Post:

mudski (26th February 2017)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dermie72 View Post
    Great thread so far - I'm happy I seem to have gone down the right path. 3" exhaust, dp chip and scan gauge. Dual pillar VDO egt and boost gauges.
    Boost was still all over the place though. Jumping to 20 psi, then dropping to 10 then building back up to 15-16 psi - all while maintaining the same speed on a flat.
    Fitted one of mudski's dawes/needle kits over the weekend and it stopped the erratic boost issues I was experiencing. Car is much nicer to drive with a smooth boost curve.
    I used the instructions in mudski's kit and had everything up and running in a couple hours - car sits nicely on about 15-16psi at full boost and on 10psi at 100k's.
    EGT's stay around 200-250 around town and only hit 400 when I'm right up it and drop again pretty quick.
    I had my exhaust fitted by Berrima diesel and I see they cut the original heat shield in half to fit in the new dump pipe - worked out ok 'cause I had to get the egt probe fitted at a later date.
    Interested to hear if anyone has tried any additional heat shielding - I heard sometimes the heat under the bonnets of gu's sometimes kill the aux battery - so far so good though.
    Its good to see my jibberish is understood by fellow Patrollers. Thanks.
    Why did BD cut the heat shield though? Its not that hard to remove, and the shield still can be used on any aftermarket zorst. I would have been quite annoyed if they did that to my car.
    As for additional heat shielding. The heater wrap stuff is pretty effective on the dump pipe. I use this on mine, works really well. You just need to wear gloves when wrapping it on. Otherwise you will have some itchy hands for a while.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah.....long hot story.... it was 38 degrees in Berrima that day- nearly cooked the missus
    At the end of the day I didn't get charged for labour and was pretty happy with the attitude of the owner's young bloke - nice guys.
    A good lesson in the need for clear communication when you're not talking directly to the mechanics doing the job.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that heat wrap stuff fibreglassy??

First real drive with the 3" zorst today. Great change. It picks up more quickly, it responds more quickly, it pulls for longer and I think it is better on fuel, I think I've only driven about 160ks today so it's a bit hard to tell??

But I think I've done really well.
    Last edited by 10G; 27th February 2017 at 09:00 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast