Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in a GQ

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peebee, I fitted the switches so I could spool the rope in by myself. When I bought the winch it came without a hand controller, I have wired switches inside the cab next to the steering wheel but needed something to be able to stop constantly walking back and forth from winch to switches to check how much is left etc.

I have no intention of using the switches under load from the outside of the vehicle.
    Just another Blue over Silver GQ with another TD conversion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddave View Post
    Peebee, I fitted the switches so I could spool the rope in by myself. When I bought the winch it came without a hand controller, I have wired switches inside the cab next to the steering wheel but needed something to be able to stop constantly walking back and forth from winch to switches to check how much is left etc.

I have no intention of using the switches under load from the outside of the vehicle.
    Thanks Dave, appreciate the reply. This 'line of fire' is front and centre with our execution tasks at the mine as two injuries of late from simply operating equipment from what initially looked like a safe position, then finding it the operators were in fact in a hazardous location. One involved a crane lift with a bore pump and the clamp plate slipped. This sent the 400kg pump rocketing to the ground. This is the second incident of the type. The work crews do it frequently, and they were lucky this time to have taken learnings from the previous mishap and had everyone in the crew out of the reaction path.

Love the installation works you have completed so far also, thanks for sharing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Reddave (24th September 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Hey Darren, I have been thinking about these switches and their location for a couple of days and what troubles me is the location is within what is called the 'line of fire'. The recoil direction is going to head straight back to the anchor point, so understanding the drivers field of view issue, but moving them to the passenger side still retains the hazard. For this reason, I have a cable pendent control with 6m of lead. I know its not as self contained or convenient, but it sure removes the winch operator from the immediate recoil zone, regardless of whether a winch blanket is in use or not. I further understand its impossible to monitor the cable or rope wrap from 6 m away, behind a bar, and this does require frequent 'stop and check actions'. Just a comment, and appreciate they may be in use in comp trucks, but does not mean the risk is reduced or removed. For me, I would not have the switches mounted where they are so close to the winch. Comments welcome of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I believe it’s more for just ease of spool housekeeping Phil mate. All the heavy work is usually done through in cab switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty well what he said mate. The only time they get used is when packing the winch up so the Navi can get it done quickly without the driver, The field of view though is so the drive can still see what else is going on.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (24th September 2019), Reddave (24th September 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Pretty well what he said mate. The only time they get used is when packing the winch up so the Navi can get it done quickly without the driver, The field of view though is so the drive can still see what else is going on.
    Thanks Darren, all clear.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got mine on the drivers side and find most the time it's me using them so all good. Definatly one of if the most handy little mods done 4 sure. Also another good little mod is to run some led strip under the bar which gets power when the winch isolator is on . . . May have stole that idea off Daz . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th September 2019), Reddave (24th September 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can highly recommend adding an LED marker light either hanging under the winch motor or the back of the bar facing back to the winch drum makes seeing the winch at night bloody awesome. I wired it through the winch isolator so it is a double check when I want to make sure do have power to the winch.
    Wouldn’t happen to have a pic? I tried finding it in your build thread but got lost in all the pages 😀
    Just another Blue over Silver GQ with another TD conversion

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddave For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddave View Post
    Wouldn’t happen to have a pic? I tried finding it in your build thread but got lost in all the pages ��
    Bahaha. Yeah it's huge. I just trolled back through 20 pages back to post 1000!! Which lead me back to this quote from page 2!! Post 44 of my thread!

[QUOTE=MudRunnerTD;2505]SNIPP

See on the back of the numberplate i have fitted a white LED marker light that is switched with the winch isolation switch in the dash and lights up the winch whenever power is connected to it. F*#king awesome at night for winching.

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 26th September 2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Fixed Links
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know why but pics are a bit weird from other threads mostly of Kings control box when I look at it. Might be tapatalk having a bit of a hissy fit lol does some random things sometimes. .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Don't know why but pics are a bit weird from other threads mostly of Kings control box when I look at it. Might be tapatalk having a bit of a hissy fit lol does some random things sometimes. .

That is the strangest thing I have ever seen!!! Was ok when I posted that last night?? Odd. Will fix later.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (25th September 2019), Rossco (25th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the strangest thing I have ever seen!!! Was ok when I posted that last night?? Odd. Will fix later.
    Kings is taking over. .

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast