Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone using snatch rings?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do help my somewhat relatively new nuffy to winch rope head get around this concept Daz mate!
    Ever so kindly been introduced to this great product from you good blokes here in 2015ish but have seen hard abrasion/burning lately of our top quality Aussie ‘Whittams’ rope we now buy.
    If a Navi aint watching the hard side spool buildup then it does affect it severely surely the same as rotating a pulley across it under immense snatch block loads?
    Honestly very keen to learn again here mate, you aint failed us yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops, took me too long to type that crap, time to watch and get educated!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th May 2019), Rossco (25th May 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great video actually mate, exciting new stuff to come!
    Maybe just a few honest questions still though they didn’t quite cover or I nuffy missed no doubt.

Rope wear, big blokes words:
    "It is proven not to be the case.....so far"

Skinny bloke, if the line drops out:
    "rope on rope" (good safety still linked I guess)

They both agree together a soft shackles eye is the most common failure point yet pulley application has eye/knot rubbing against the pulleys side.

Honestly not trying to be negative, just can’t get my head around rope abrasion long term, please help?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Great video actually mate, exciting new stuff to come!
    Maybe just a few honest questions still though they didn’t quite cover or I nuffy missed no doubt.

Rope wear, big blokes words:
    "It is proven not to be the case.....so far"

Skinny bloke, if the line drops out:
    "rope on rope" (good safety still linked I guess)

They both agree together a soft shackles eye is the most common failure point yet pulley application has eye/knot rubbing against the pulleys side.

Honestly not trying to be negative, just can’t get my head around rope abrasion long term, please help?

All good mate. The weakest link in the soft shackle is the eye around the knot. Regardless of its use that never changes. Considering this, how you set up the soft shackle when under load is important. Rather than trying to pull the back off the knot you fit it so the knot is near the load and trying to pull through. Much less load here.

So dyneema is very very slick mate. With the ring spinning slowly around the soft shackle there will be very little friction. They discuss it a little in the vid. A winch recovery through a snatch block or ring is half speed of winch. So slow.

Assuming your soft shackle is clean and the ring is clean then there is no dirt to cause damage. Your winch rope is not slipping through, it is rotating. No friction .

If under an extraordinary event the ring failed and the rope came out from over it it would be caught by the shackle, it is looped through the shackle. This is a bonus.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 24th May 2019 at 11:38 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (24th May 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers mate, still a little confused but will get there eventually as always proven out there thank you
    As you may know I resisted rope full stop yet now thankfully convinced if used extra carefully, this next level is spooking me yet again :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (25th May 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so the ring stays static and the winch rope slips around the ring, yes, clever, tried to watch the video but kept getting smashed with pop ups, so gave up. Reckon I will stick with the snatch block for now as have not had one come apart in 30 yrs, but don't play in the same pit as others do.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 25th May 2019 at 06:53 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (25th May 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    OK, so the ring stays static and the winch rope slips around the ring, yes, clever, tried to watch the video but kept getting smashed with pop ups, so gave up. Reckon I will stick with the snatch block for now as have not had one come apart in 30 yrs, but don't play in the same pit as others do.
    Hmmm i dont get pop up adds watching thar phil, only once at the start?

But no, the ring rotates just like a conventional snatch block. Instead of the bearing spinning the ring spins around the centre soft shackle.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can see here how it would spin as a dry bearing. If it did not spin then absolutely the original concern would be true, the dirty winch rope would slip around and act like a saw blade and slice it in half.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But in operation see how the knot of the soft shackle is positioned. Not trying to pull the head off the knot backwards.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The weakest part of the soft shackle is the loop because it is the thinnest. It is the size of the single rope, in this case 12mm dyneema. (Strong), what makes it weakest is the diameter of the bend around the rest of the rope, (at that point its 2x 12mm rope). By positioning it in this way the knot takes a fair bit of that stress.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast