Thread: intake manifold

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

intake manifold

can anyone give me any ideas as to what i can use to clean the intake manifold of carbon build up.been reading bits here and there on how much crap builds up in them and want to remove and clean mine.any thing to get cleaner engine

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony,

There’s been a lot of talk recently about inlet system cleaning and what to use or how to go about it. I have removed my throttle body and washed it in petrol, which did a good job of cleaning it. I prefer petrol because as a solvent it won’t harm the engine if a bit gets in and it will air dry. After doing that, I thought a bit of petrol running through the inlet wouldn’t do any harm and over time may clean up the rest of the intake system.

So, I bought a Morey’s Power Booster kit and fitted it using petrol instead of the Morey’s oil. This is a similar kit to the Flash Lube Valve saver kit, but a bit cheaper. It consumes about 100ml of petrol every 1000km and so far has had no negative side effects. It’s controlled by the air velocity going through the intake ducting, so more air flow = more petrol. I’m not after a performance increase, just a cleaner intake system which this should help with over time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

AB (26th June 2012), MudRunnerTD (9th December 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chaz, I have recently bought a morrays power booster kit with the intention of running either distilled water or petrol in my deisel. I was wondering where you connected the vacuum hose to. Cheers

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony78 View Post
    can anyone give me any ideas as to what i can use to clean the intake manifold of carbon build up.been reading bits here and there on how much crap builds up in them and want to remove and clean mine.any thing to get cleaner engine
    I paid someone lots of $$$ to have mine removed and put through some kind of ultrasonic dishwasher, I felt this was better than running it through the engine. Mine was done at 198,000kms

You can buy a liquid moly intake cleaning product from supercheap which runs a tube into the throttle body and you give it little squirts while the car is idling, it may throw an error code during the process so you may need something to clear that too.
    Last edited by pollenface; 5th December 2021 at 11:02 AM.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazalby View Post
    Hi Chaz, I have recently bought a morrays power booster kit with the intention of running either distilled water or petrol in my deisel. I was wondering where you connected the vacuum hose to. Cheers
    Hi Chazalby,
    You can see it on the bottom left picture. It goes into a plastic elbow on the intake tube that feeds the Provent catchcan. It should work if you connect it anywhere between the MAF and turbo where the intake pressure is the lowest.
    I had it adjusted to deliver about 1 drop every 5 or so seconds at idle. The higher the air velicity, the more petrol would be consumed. I only ran this system for a couple of months as it turned the oil very dirty black after a short time and after a few oil changes the oil remained fairly clean, so I removed it. Also, eventually the dripper container did perish from the petrol, so another reason to remove it, but it did the job.

Cheers,

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

AB (9th December 2021), MudRunnerTD (9th December 2021), mudski (11th December 2021)