Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So good quality sockets.

Will an impact socket fit on the wheel nuts when using the Patrol 17" alloy rims?

Would you use an impact drill on anything when working on your car, or another type of drill? I'm thinking if you use an impact drill do I need a full set of impact sockets???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    So good quality sockets.

Will an impact socket fit on the wheel nuts when using the Patrol 17" alloy rims?

Would you use an impact drill on anything when working on your car, or another type of drill? I'm thinking if you use an impact drill do I need a full set of impact sockets???
    Hi mate, I highly recommend as above, a good set, but get one with an extension bar. My set doesn't have one and I'm always using a non impact extension when I just quite can't get to the nut or bolt. One thing to note, are you going down Ryobi because you already have that battery range? Or because it's affordable? That skin only produces 360nm of torque. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but imho it will be enough to undo some nuts, but most will need to be cracked by hand first?

Milwaukee and Makita, possible DeWalt do much higher torque units, enough to undo wheel nuts without cracking them. But if it's about budget or batteries, that Ryobi one would be good value for money and still mostly help you do what you need.

Definitely wouldn't recommend using an impact driver, you'll kill the poor thing, also have used the Ryobi impacts, they are pretty gutless. Have a look at the specs, I believe it will develop only half the torque as the rattle gun.

Regarding fitting sockets to the impact driver, there are bits available for hex to 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch so you can fit your sockets but the tool is mostly designed for fast screwing etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 27th May 2020 at 09:24 PM.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

10G (28th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these; (a dewalt impact driver)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/323816538417

With a (much better set than the link) set of these adapters;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/193447162270

I find it does everything I want, fits in medium/tight spots and cracks some pretty solid nuts and bolts. I use it for pretty much everything, working on the house, driving screws and I don't work on the patrol without it. Only thing it's not really good for is wheel nuts. I have cracked one just out of curiosity but I wouldn't do it again..

As a side note, I'd never be without one again. I'd buy exactly the same again next time too. Good value for money. I hear makita are much better but a little more $$ also. I reckon I'm just gunna grab a cheap air gun for my tyre rotations.
    Last edited by 0-TJ-0; 27th May 2020 at 10:49 PM.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

10G (28th May 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being able to undo wheel nuts is high on the list, so what should I look at?

I don't do alot of mechanical stuff anymore, I'm just trying to make things a little easier.

Might I be better of getting a compressor and an air gun???

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 6,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That ryobi rattle gun will do the job just fine for the price.
    I have the older version and have definitely used it for more than it was designed for, it is showing signs of wear now but nearly 10 years old.
    I'll probably replace it with a Milwaukee one but only because that's the drill and battery format that I have gone with

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (28th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Being able to undo wheel nuts is high on the list, so what should I look at?

I don't do alot of mechanical stuff anymore, I'm just trying to make things a little easier.

Might I be better of getting a compressor and an air gun???
    If you don't have a compressor and hose already, it would nearly be as much to get a battery charger and cordless rattle gun from a brand with higher torque?

I have this one, honestly have never used a more powerful tool gun, haven't found anything it can't undo yet.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/110134...kit-dtw1002rtj

Have used the Milwaukee one @MB owns, it's also great but both options are a substantial investment.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (28th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the others have suggested, if wheel nuts are a primary requirement look for anything with the 1/2in or bigger socket head. Then it's really just up to you how much money you want to spend. I already have a compressor for my plasma cutter and find it handy for a bunch of little things, that's the only reason I'd personally opt for an air gun. Pound for pound an air rattle gun will be cheaper, but then you need the compressor, hose and somewhere to put it all. A good option, just not nearly as convenient.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your great help and advice, it's much appreciated.

Was driving to work and remembered these things:
    https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/pro...rench-12v.html

I looked into these a while back, can't remember why I didn't get one???

Think I may get one of these and see how I get on as it is mostly for wheel nuts and it won't get tons of use. If it's crap, no worries, but if it's great I'll save a few $hundred.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 6,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They are an excellent alternative.
    We used @MudRunnerTD's one to undo the flywheel bolts on my engine when 2 other cordless rattle guns would not do the job.
    It works on a different principle and is much slower but will get the job done every time.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your great help and advice, it's much appreciated.

Was driving to work and remembered these things:
    https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/pro...rench-12v.html

I looked into these a while back, can't remember why I didn't get one???

Think I may get one of these and see how I get on as it is mostly for wheel nuts and it won't get tons of use. If it's crap, no worries, but if it's great I'll save a few $hundred.

Thanks again everyone.
    Yes i have had one of these for 20 years. the first time i saw one i thought it was a joke.... The first time i pulled the trigger i thought OMFG This thing will be a Beast. When all else fails that is a Beast and works every time. If your really keen to crack a wheel nut then it will easily do it.

To be honest cracking a wheel nut is nice but over rated to be honest. It requires a fairly decent Impact Wrench to get it done. If you never lube your studs then it is even harder. Lube your Studs....

For my money i would buy the Impact Driver over the Impact Wrench. I have both. I have had the Driver for nearly 20 years and it has done a Heap of work around the house and a HEAP of work on the car. You need a 1/4 drive and 1/2 drive adapter for it then you can use it with your socket set. Given it is a lighter impact i have never used impact sockets with it and always just my standard set. It does most of the heavy lifting for me. Then Crack or tighten finally by Hand. But all the wrench work is via the driver which is the leg work let us face it.

Great to have in your kit then for tek screws and other uses. Great kit. Light in the hand and plenty of bang for buck..

I have a larger Makita Impact Wrench and to be honest i find it Heavy and cumbersome and quite large and therefore bloody useless under the bonnet, under the car maybe but no good in the engine bay as it is too big. All of my car work up until about 12 months ago was done with an Impact Driver. Great Kit. Buy that.

12 months ago i got a smaller Makita Impact Wrench in the 1/2 and it is the same size as my driver but with a 1/2 drive and it is great. now my GoTo unit but same size as the driver. If i could only choose 1 then the Driver gets the gig as a much more versatile tool in your life time. The Driver is made to rattle just a little less torque. it will get it done for you. Lets face it most of the small stuff you will do around the car is less that a 12mm nut and the driver will thread that up and down all day long. Crack the nut the spin her off with the driver. Good to go.

Imagine if you could only buy 1 hammer in your life time. 1 hammer. You occasionally need a Big hammer but always need a small hammer. Do you buy a Sledge hammer and hit in 2" nails as well as star pickets.... Or a smaller hammer that does nearly everything you need and if you ever have to hit in a Star picket either borrow a sledge hammer or hit it harder by hand...
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 28th May 2020 at 12:45 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

10G (28th May 2020)

Page 33 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast