Thread: Motor running on after key turn

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motor running on after key turn

Good morning. We have minor or major issue in our ute I hope you good people might be able to shed some light on. Last 3 or 4 days our motor keeps on spinning even after key turn and eventually dies a slow rumbly shutdown. Usually its key turn & it goes to sleep. Now it takes 7-8 seconds. Of most concern is that last few seconds she gets really violent and lumpy. My self and the good o'l wife are on with the ages, and it scared the pigs out of her old bones mentally and physically when it happened the first time.

The original owner (our boss) said he has never had anything like this prior. I witnessed a runaway diesel in a hino back in karatha and it wasnt nice. This came to mind first and a symptom ? Am I looking in the wrong bag here?

The pig in question is a 06 ute ti td42.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't expect it to be as serious as that. The fuel pump has an electronic shut off solenoid. Perhaps that's just not doing it's job properly?
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    most diesels have a throtle valve ( a plate that is fully open when engine is running or fully closed when ignition is turned off ) . i would think on your model it would be vacum operated . they can sometimes stick open . you may be able to see it happen if you locate the valve and watch it when the ignition is turned off , it should close quickly as soon as the key is turned . if it wont the motor can run on . this is the main purpose for the valve being there . you could also be haveing problems with leaky injectors , maybe try some injector cleaner as well . the throttle valve is usually connected to the inlet manifold .
    Last edited by nipagu7; 19th July 2019 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    most diesels have a throtle valve ( a plate that is fully open when engine is running or fully closed when ignition is turned off ) . i would think on your model it would be vacum operated . they can sometimes stick open . you may be able to see it happen if you locate the valve and watch it when the ignition is turned off , it should close quickly as soon as the key is turned . if it wont the motor can run on . this is the main purpose for the valve being there . you could also be haveing problems with leaky injectors , maybe try some injector cleaner as well . the throttle valve is usually connected to the inlet manifold .
    No such thing on the 4.2. There is a butterfly for the egr system but it never fully closes.

May also be caused by leaky injectors?
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, sounds like the fuel cut solenoid to me, usually gives those kind of symptoms. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Hey mate, sounds like the fuel cut solenoid to me, usually gives those kind of symptoms. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Agree Rossco