Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost Power and Burning Smell

G'day Gents,

Was driving the GQ to work yesterday (TD42) and was functioning fine until I entered a 100km/h zone and began to accelerate.

Essentially, my acceleration ability was completely gone - the car was slowing down and I had to come to a complete stop. I popped the bonnet and smelt a slight burning smell. After waiting a minute (and having a colleague pull up behind me) I hopped back in and drove to work without issue. I thought it might have been a fuel delivery problem so I replaced the fuel filter yesterday.

Come this morning I had the same problem. Was fine at 100km/h for half of the trip and then (after about 15 mins of driving), I was accelerating in 4th through 80km/h and the same thing happened. Pulled over with a slightly more prominent burning smell. After a minute, travelled the other 5 mins to work.

Burning smell is similar to rich coolant smell but I couldn't see any leaks. Car temp. gauge not showing problems. Checked oil when warm and is up to level. Clutch is low to the floor (not functioning correctly).

I don't really want to drive it home this afternoon without getting it fixed so I was wondering if anybody has had similar problems/knows what the problem might be?

Any help would be appreciated,
    Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you've done the clutch

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Whirlwinds123 (25th January 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my suspicions. Notably, when I say 'to the floor' I mean that it engages very low but has been this way for over a year and still functioning.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwinds123 View Post
    I had my suspicions. Notably, when I say 'to the floor' I mean that it engages very low but has been this way for over a year and still functioning.
    May be time to change it does it sound like its slipping when you put your foot down?
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A definite sign that the clutch is munted, is a significant change in revs without much change in speed. Have the vehicle going up a hill and floor it. The tacho will tell the tale.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took it for another drive. Got home okay. Seems to have lost significant power, especially noticeable in higher gears. The complete, temporary loss of power coupled with the burning smell seems to be occur in episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    May be time to change it does it sound like its slipping when you put your foot down?
    I'm not an expert on what a slipping clutch would sound like but there is nothing noticeable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    A definite sign that the clutch is munted, is a significant change in revs without much change in speed. Have the vehicle going up a hill and floor it. The tacho will tell the tale.
    From what I gathered this afternoon. RPMs were matching km/h, just a slow event. Will try flooring up a hill tomorrow. Thanks for the tip

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I took it for another drive. Got home okay. Seems to have lost significant power, especially noticeable in higher gears. The complete, temporary loss of power coupled with the burning smell seems to be occur in episodes.

I'm not an expert on what a slipping clutch would sound like but there is nothing noticeable to me.

From what I gathered this afternoon. RPMs were matching km/h, just a slow event. Will try flooring up a hill tomorrow. Thanks for the tip
    so it was losing rev's and speed not gaining rev's losing speed
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it is a clutch problem, it will rev out more, and go less .... that is what is described as clutch slip. Eventually when it fails completely, you will have no forward motion.

If you think it is the clutch, ie, it fits the descriptions above, then don't thrash it too much, as then you will have to trailer it to the mechanic to get it fixed and that will be more cost. Then try and get it to the mechanics under its own steam as soon as you can
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

mudnut (26th January 2018), Whirlwinds123 (29th January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day Gents,

Was driving the GQ to work yesterday (TD42) and was functioning fine until I entered a 100km/h zone and began to accelerate.

Essentially, my acceleration ability was completely gone - the car was slowing down and I had to come to a complete stop. I popped the bonnet and smelt a slight burning smell. After waiting a minute (and having a colleague pull up behind me) I hopped back in and drove to work without issue. I thought it might have been a fuel delivery problem so I replaced the fuel filter yesterday.

Come this morning I had the same problem. Was fine at 100km/h for half of the trip and then (after about 15 mins of driving), I was accelerating in 4th through 80km/h and the same thing happened. Pulled over with a slightly more prominent burning smell. After a minute, travelled the other 5 mins to work.

Burning smell is similar to rich coolant smell but I couldn't see any leaks. Car temp. gauge not showing problems. Checked oil when warm and is up to level. Clutch is low to the floor (not functioning correctly).

I don't really want to drive it home this afternoon without getting it fixed so I was wondering if anybody has had similar problems/knows what the problem might be?

Any help would be appreciated,
    Cheers
    Just a thing,but have you actually checked the water level. If water is down you can get no indication on your temp gauge as it will not read if no water in contact. It’s just that what you are describing doesn’t fit with clutch problems as a slipping clutch should give increased revs with less speed. Sounds almost like a potential seized motor, especially if it comes good when it’s been standing for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Whirlwinds123 (29th January 2018)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    Then try and get it to the mechanics under its own steam as soon as you can
    Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a solid idea, I'm just working in a small town at the moment and it is unbelievably hard to get in to a mechanic (and I don't want to drive it any distance to another location).

Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    Just a thing,but have you actually checked the water level. If water is down you can get no indication on your temp gauge as it will not read if no water in contact. It’s just that what you are describing doesn’t fit with clutch problems as a slipping clutch should give increased revs with less speed. Sounds almost like a potential seized motor, especially if it comes good when it’s been standing for a while.
    Thanks for the message. Doubled checked and the water level is fine as well.

I spoke to a mechanic late last week and he mentioned travelling with the fuel tank open to atmosphere (cap off). I tried that this morning and I didn't have the issues I was having before.

It would seem that there could be a vacuum issue. I'm still baffled by the burning smell..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast