Thread: VNT adjustment

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VNT adjustment

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and recently bought GU iii with low km, less than 140k. I want to block EGR as it has not been done before. Could it be done without installing mechanical boost controller and boost guage on dash board. If it could be done what is procedure of adjusting VNT overboosting? Thanks for your help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blocking the EGR may or may not raise your boost a little bit.
    But you will never know, or have the ability to adjust it, unless you have a boost gauge of some sort to see what exactly boost is doing.
    Without a gauge, it'll a blind guessing game.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have just been in this situation and here is what I did and found.
    I blocked my egr , then fitted s boost gauge. I could see my boost fluctuate really bad and thought it was normal. Apparently it’s because I blocked the egr. I have now unblocked it and my boost is more stable so until I fit a manual boost controller it stays standard.
    The correct way to do the NADS is fit
    Catch can
    Boost gauge
    Manual boost control eg: Dawes and needle valve
    Egr block

This way it all works as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for help. How much maximum boost you had when EGR was blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti's Beast View Post
    Well I have just been in this situation and here is what I did and found.
    I blocked my egr , then fitted s boost gauge. I could see my boost fluctuate really bad and thought it was normal. Apparently it’s because I blocked the egr. I have now unblocked it and my boost is more stable so until I fit a manual boost controller it stays standard.
    The correct way to do the NADS is fit
    Catch can
    Boost gauge
    Manual boost control eg: Dawes and needle valve
    Egr block

This way it all works as it should.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I blocked mine on the weekend and seeing it up to 23psi cruising on freeway. Never went above 15 before blocking. Using scangauge to measure boost so not as accurate as boost gauge. Throwing an error code daily as well which may give me the shits over time. Put a 3in exhaust on recently and noticed difference in performance. Have not noticed anything by blocking EGR but obviously better for engine. Having said that I have had the car for 5 years and only just got around to doing it.
    2010 GU, 2in lift, old man emu suspension, duellers, arb bullbar, dual batteries, safari snorkel, scangauge2, rhino rack platform, saving for more......

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kinda off topic but blocking the EGR to me is an important thing to do on these motors. One of our work cars, a Ford Territory with the v6 diesel motor with on 60thou had just had both EGR valves replaced and is now back in getting the entire intake system cleaned as it is 50% blocked. In only 60thou! Work has spent around 5k so far on getting the two EGR valves replaced now this.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobrun2004 View Post
    Thanks for help. How much maximum boost you had when EGR was blocked.
    My old car now has 377,000k and basically all stock except for the boost gauge and k&n filter
    When egr was blocked my boost was max 17 but would go from 0 to 15 and all over the place
    Usually at 80k it would be on 12 but soon as I accelerated a little would go to 5 and back to 12. It was simply unstable. I put the egr back to normal and although it now has less boost it is stable and responsive to load. At 100 I get 12 psi and if I accelerate it will go up to15. It’s actually quite good compared to some horror stories I’ve read but I guess that’s also why it’s done so many kilometers without problem. I will be fitting a manual boost soon and blocking the egr and set the boost a little higher than standard but not crazy high. Don’t want to blow it up literally

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear that your almost unmodifed track has done so many km. What year is it?

My old car now has 377,000k and basically all stock except for the boost gauge and k&n filter
    When egr was blocked my boost was max 17 but would go from 0 to 15 and all over the place
    Usually at 80k it would be on 12 but soon as I accelerated a little would go to 5 and back to 12. It was simply unstable. I put the egr back to normal and although it now has less boost it is stable and responsive to load. At 100 I get 12 psi and if I accelerate it will go up to15. It’s actually quite good compared to some horror stories I’ve read but I guess that’s also why it’s done so many kilometers without problem. I will be fitting a manual boost soon and blocking the egr and set the boost a little higher than standard but not crazy high. Don’t want to blow it up literally

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dobrun2004 For This Useful Post:

Yeti's Beast (21st June 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

These will happily sit on 25psi mate. The motor can handle higher but the stock turbo wont.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Yeti's Beast (21st June 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobrun2004 View Post
    Good to hear that your almost unmodifed track has done so many km. What year is it?
    Hi thanks
    It’s a 2003 model