OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locking Diffs - Air or Electric??

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locking Diffs - Air or Electric??

I am considering locking diffs for my 2010 ST and I am interested to hear peoples experience with air and electric lockers. From what I have seen on the web the ARB air lockers seem pretty good (with 5 year warranty) as do the TJM (limited lifetime warranty) but I am also interested in the Harrop E-lockers as from my perspective there is less chance of something going wrong with them (could be wrong but I am assuming that you only have to get an electrical signal to it without having to worry about seals, airlines, etc). I would really appreciate any feedback from anybody who has them fitted.

Also keen to understand that if I start off with just one locker am I better off putting it on the front or the rear??

Finally, when I select 4H or 4L, does the centre diff (transfer case) lock up and always provide drive 50:50 front and rear or is it also subject to differential action?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Gags For This Useful Post:

juzzs8 (1st July 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Big Gags (27th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have front and rear ARB air lockers and have never let me down.

If funds permit then go both but most folk do front rather than rear if only doing one as the rear LSD in Patrols are generally pretty good.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Big Gags (27th May 2018), juzzs8 (1st July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt the same as you about the greater reliability of the E-locker, plus I already had our compressor mounted in the rear canopy & wasn't keen on making more holes in the canopy to run airlines out & wiring to be able to switch the compressor on from the cab. Compressors can be noisy too, not really what I want when driving.

MrsTea has learned of the value of the locker judging by her high pitched semi scream "e-locker" when we really needed it. Just punched the dash switch & up we went. I like the instant 'at call' nature of the thing. I'm not 100% confident of always having air in the compressors tank & don't want to have to plan ahead to ensure I have air when I need it.

Gotta say that although it hasn't had a lot of use yet I love it. It's for getting us out of trouble not into it. Twice used 'in case' just because we could & once where I reckon we could have been in real trouble without it. Consensus is that the Patrols have the best limited slip rear diffs around & that if fitting a diff lock on one axle, to put it on the front & that what we did. We went to Harrops in Preston to get it fitted, reasoning that if anyone knew how to fit one properly it would be them. Have no complaints. Very reassuring when travelling alone in remote country & allows slow & steady rather than bash & crash.

Patrols don't have a centre diff.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 26th May 2018 at 07:38 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,415 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I went with ARB air locker in the front diff, if you can afford it do both but otherwise put one in the front before you do the rear.
    I chose ARB cos I still don't know anybody with the Eaton elocker so haven't heard any first hand experiences, I had only heard good things about the ARB.

Patrols don't have a centre diff, the transfer case sends equal drive to both front and rear diffs.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As prev posted Patrols do not have a centre diff and the Patrol Rear LSD is the best around bar none.

If your rear diff is in good cond then e-locker front is the way to go IMHO.

If you want the ability to lock both front and rear then I would probably go air.

In my last 4 Patrols I have gone for a mechanical locker 'cause I don't have the need for 'flick the switch' lockers.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an ARB front locker and it works great. The compressor also pumps the tyres so I am happy with that.
    The rear LSD is great.
    I love how much stress it takes off the truck when doing some tougher tracks.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mc4by For This Useful Post:

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    We went to Harrops in Preston to get it fitted, reasoning that if anyone knew how to fit one properly it would be them. Have no complaints. Very reassuring when travelling alone in remote country & allows slow & steady rather than bash & crash.
    Thanks Cuppa - funnily enough I drove past Harrops today on the off chance that they were open on a Saturday (they weren't). If you don't mind sharing, how long did it take to fit and how much did it cost?? Also, do you know what their warranty period is?

Thanks to all for comments regarding the transfer case - the main thing I wanted to know was if the drive was always supplied to front and axles when in 4WD. So I guess that this means that when in 4WD and with a front locker engaged then you are always going to have drive to both front wheels and at least one of the back wheels.

I haven't had any experience with LSD diffs before - are there any "tricks" to using them when tackling difficult terrain?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Gags For This Useful Post:

juzzs8 (1st July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had ours done last May. Harrop wanted the car for the day & I drove down there in the morning (from Ballarat). Their service was excellent, they drove me to the train station (I spent the day in the CBD) & said to call them when getting back to the station so they could come & pick me up. They called me to say the car would be ready for collection at 4pm. Phoned me a week or two later to check I was happy with the install. Even gave me a little Harrop 'showbag & a t shirt. They wanted around 2 to 3 weeks notice for a booking. All up cost including new carrier bearings was $2165. I paid $500 deposit & the balance on the day. I suspect they wanted this as they probably get a few dreamers who make a booking & then don't turn up.

I could have had the locker fitted locally - I think Opposite Lock are the authorised distributors/fitters but I had heard rumours of the mechanics at the local OL not being that great (No idea if true, but didn't want to risk it) so I went to Harrops - very professional.

Warranty is 3 years/100,000kms

https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/syste...e216_LoRes.pdf
    Last edited by Cuppa; 27th May 2018 at 08:24 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gags View Post
    snip... So I guess that this means that when in 4WD and with a front locker engaged then you are always going to have drive to both front wheels and at least one of the back wheels.

I haven't had any experience with LSD diffs before - are there any "tricks" to using them when tackling difficult terrain?
    No tricks just 'point it and drive' on the best line you selected.
    With the front locked you actually attack any challenge at a much lower speed as you now have much improved traction so don't need the same momentum IE no more need for 'rip, tear, bust' to get up the hill or thru the soft stuff

LSD's work by a wheel that loses traction be limited in how much it spins before the diff locks and sends power to both wheels.
    Because you now have the front locked and the rear is connected to the front then both front and one rear have to lose traction for the LSD.
    IE no rear wheel can spin without both fronts doing so at the same time

This is quite uncommon in all but the slipperiest of mud/clays or turns and as the rear is quite tight in the Patrols you have the same effect as a fully locked drive line most of the time.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 27th May 2018 at 10:53 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast