OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Removing Sheared Thermostat Housing Bolts?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Removing Sheared Thermostat Housing Bolts?

Hey guys, just after some advice on how to remove some sheared thermostat housing bolts on a TD42? I’m taking the housing off because the gasket is leaking quite a bit so I’m replacing it. I’ve managed to get the top right bolt out and bottom right out without shearing, however the top left long bolt has sheared after two threads, and the bottom left bolt has sheared at the head. The area to work in is too small to fit a drill in to drill and tap or use easy outs. Just curious on techniques/ways to remove these sheared bolts with or without taking the radiator out or what the go is. Cheers guys

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a MOFO. This happened to me also and i just put a helicoil in the housing. But working on another car realised the importantce of that long bolt. Is a MOFo.

It is a long shaft short thread. The water pump housing needs to come off and you will expose that sheers bolt ans easy to remove.

Some leverage was needed as that bolt kind of locks it all in but you will work it out. It must come off though
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a MOFO. This happened to me also and i just put a helicoil in the housing. But working on another car realised the importance of that long bolt. Is a MOFo.

It is a long shaft short thread. The water pump housing needs to come off and you will expose that sheered bolt and easy to remove.

Some leverage was needed as that bolt kind of locks it all in but you will work it out. It must come off though
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am about to replace my thermostat as welp what are the suggestions of prep before hand soak it in rust off first ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by First Pooy View Post
    I am about to replace my thermostat as welp what are the suggestions of prep before hand soak it in rust off first ?
    Probabaly not. They are deep into the housing so just cross your fingers.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello? more info 06

right spot sheer neighbourly articles. combine bookmarks

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello? more info 66

right site very helpful articles. sum bookmarks

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by First Pooy View Post
    Possibly shock the bolt heads if possible with a sharp tap with a hammer, read tap lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I told the bolt if it doesn't come out I will grind it ass off and replace it with a younger better bolt but I am not sure how shocked it was lmao 😂

11. The Following User Says Thank You to First Pooy For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th March 2019)