Thread: Tools you have bought/want to buy feedback thread

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post

If push get tough going, can always fit second handle maybe and Vicki can push also when having a rest from oil squirter bottle haha
    Have seen people rig up a small hand which to assist the old back which seems to work well. Red Stringy and Pine obviously aren't too tough so should get through it fairy trouble free. Milled up a heap of Yellow Stringy which is probably the toughest of the Stringies was fairly slow going but the using a Stihl 460 got it done slow and steady with one operator logs were probably around 20 - 25 inch diameter. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Bidja (27th July 2022), MB (27th July 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We changed to detergent/water mix tests and found it to be cheap and more effective in cleaning sap during cutting too.
    So you use this detergent/water mix plus saw bar oil(primary lub_retained) for all milling with dusty old 660 Alaskan?

and for soft and hardwoods?

Still have wedges of hardwood from dads and his dads bush mill (Tarago farm)_over 60 yrs old easy.

Thanks again you two blokes thought I was asking at the right place_lots to learn for this.

Using the larger mill (36" bar). would this also be good for smaller logs 18-20"? Make it easier or does not really matter (room to move)?

Have some roadside clearings that contractors dropped off recently, some interesting short logs (1.5-2m long) mainly 24" - a couple at 30") apple jack, red box that will useful.
    Also have windfall tree but most get left for habitat but this recent one will be milled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MB (27th July 2022), Rossco (27th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smaller/thinner milling projects the chain saws own bar oil should be fine John Mate. We only hand squirt water/detergent mix on its end when up around max width on ours around 800mm IIRC.
    Green sappy timbers the detergent helps a lot as mentioned.
    We use only/solely the water/detergent mix 100% of the time on the main bandsaw workhorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Bidja (27th July 2022), Rossco (27th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found it, a Youtubey we made on our second hand bought homemade Alaskan’s very first run a few years ago on a 5-6 year old season Red Ironbark bench seat to be John Mate:

https://youtu.be/9_s3k1wtPQ8

Extremely high silica content Ironbark’s munch new chains and foolishly without a skip tooth chain was very slow going we found but the cuts were smooth/easily worked later and very fine powdered saw dust.
    Notice the bouncing of the mill end, we overcame this in later tests with a second set of hands simply holding a wooden garden stake in one applying light pressure down and squirter bottle target shooting the leading edge of the chain heading back to the saw with the other Vicky hand if that makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Bidja (28th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I pulled the old xr out of the shed a few months back and after a heap of barn-find spec rides I have filled my cart at MX store. Can't wait for delivery! New bits and rebuilds galore!! Wooo

.......from under the great down under.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

MB (28th July 2022), rusty_nail (28th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oops, the threads says "tools you brought"... Not "stuff you brought"

Hello from Under Down Under!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

MB (28th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for digging up the vidoe Mark. Do you think the bar bounce was more pronounced with having greater lengths of unsupported bar (outside log)/frame flex?

Like the quick fix elevated work platform, suits where smaller lift increment can only be achieved.

Swing saw sent thru certainly achieved excelled old timer result. No need for a greater skip tooth design here mate. Seen one similar used for coming down on smaller logs for firewood cuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MB (28th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,966 Times in 3,377 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    I pulled the old xr out of the shed a few months back and after a heap of barn-find spec rides I have filled my cart at MX store. Can't wait for delivery! New bits and rebuilds galore!! Wooo

Get it into the motorbike thread Tassy. Let's see it mate!

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MB (28th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK. I have made an investment today that 8 have considered for many years. I have been searching online for a second hand unit cause they are dear as poison. I believe these should be in every workplace and a welcome addition into an Outback Touring rig or convoy..

So I found this on FB Marketplace. Bloke wad working on a Demo site and this was left as written off.

I have bought a brand new fully automatic Defibrillator Zoll AED Plus. It came with a full workplace alarmed cabinet. Might find a spot in thr laundry or under thebstairs for the cabinet. The AED will be going in the Hilux day to day and The Y62 and or the GQ when Touring.

The unit was commissioned on 17/02/2022 and never unboxed. The pads are dated to 2025 and the batteries are dated to 2031.

May I never Need to use it.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (30th July 2022), MB (30th July 2022), NissanGQ4.2 (11th August 2022), PeeBee (30th July 2022), Plasnart (30th July 2022), rusty_nail (30th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    OK. I have made an investment today that 8 have considered for many years. I have been searching online for a second hand unit cause they are dear as poison. I believe these should be in every workplace and a welcome addition into an Outback Touring rig or convoy..

So I found this on FB Marketplace. Bloke wad working on a Demo site and this was left as written off.

I have bought a brand new fully automatic Defibrillator Zoll AED Plus. It came with a full workplace alarmed cabinet. Might find a spot in thr laundry or under thebstairs for the cabinet. The AED will be going in the Hilux day to day and The Y62 and or the GQ when Touring.

The unit was commissioned on 17/02/2022 and never unboxed. The pads are dated to 2025 and the batteries are dated to 2031.

May I never Need to use it.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    You are an awesome Facebook bargain hunter but that one takes the cake mate. Well done!

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Hodge (30th July 2022), MB (30th July 2022), MudRunnerTD (30th July 2022)

Page 100 of 104 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102 ... LastLast