Thread: All Things Chev

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,729 Times in 2,680 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny enough you can top it up with water, which i dont understand how that works if you have to purge the water from the system to begin with. I suspect the risk would be minimal anyway as never had an issue with hoses so far. Anyway its on the backburner for now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (12th October 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is weird wow, just water top up for emergencies maybe? We could always carry 5L each on a 4 car convoy too mate!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Funny enough you can top it up with water, which i dont understand how that works if you have to purge the water from the system to begin with. I suspect the risk would be minimal anyway as never had an issue with hoses so far. Anyway its on the backburner for now.
    Which then costs another 397 for a purge and a further 397 for new coolant as you have to dump the old stuff as it is contaminated...
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (12th October 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Which then costs another 397 for a purge and a further 397 for new coolant as you have to dump the old stuff as it is contaminated...
    I know, its sounds daft to me. I am going to ring one of their agents and ask the question.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (12th October 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MIXING COOLANTS
    Waterless and water-based coolants should not be mixed. In the event that significant
    waterless coolant is lost from the system during operation and no waterless coolant is
    available to fill the system and reach a repair facility, water-based coolant or water may be
    used. However, repairs should be made as soon as possible, and the system should be
    drained, purged and re-filled with new waterless coolant

This is from their website, so yes a leak can be expensive or you carry a bottle of the stuff. There is another 'synthetic water free coolant avail but no specs on their website regards boiling points at all.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (12th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did read that the waterless stuff is able to work with a certain % of water as its very hard to remove all of the water in the system, even with a flush. I also wonder how good this stuff is for the environment?
    Last edited by mudnut; 12th October 2017 at 07:17 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who cares - you shouldn't be running it with a leaking system unless you are Richard Branson, so really it doesn't come into the equation in my view. If you look at all the other lubricants in your vehicle none of them will aid the expansion of a remote platypus population, so toxic or not, simply another fluid which is treated with respect.

I agree with your comment about the efficiency as its nigh on impossible to remove all the water unless you go to a heap of trouble like draining, blowing thru with high volume/low pressure air and then maybe heating the block or blowing hot air thru to dry it out. There is no indication of the cooling efficiency drop per % of water either - doubt they even know. I am going to have a look at the other 'product' with 'nano particles etc etc blah b;ah blah' and see if I can find a product that is cheaper to swap with better cooling properties than the glycol mixes.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Who cares.
    I do, to an extent. I have built a solar evaporator out of old solar water heaters, to process any used coolant from my vehicles (who's a good boy?)

I was thinking more of contamination around the home and the like.

I discounted using the waterless coolant, because I have to change out the timing belt every 100000 ks.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I do, to an extent. I have built a solar evaporator out of old solar water heaters, to process any used coolant from my vehicles (who's a good boy?)

I was thinking more of contamination around the home and the like.

I discounted using the waterless coolant, because I have to change out the timing belt every 100000 ks. Not a problem for your machine , though.
    Craig, I take your point. I am pretty careful with leaking fluid here as well. When you evaporate the coolant, whats the residue and what do you do with it? The coolant is ideally collected and recycled for use as its life is stated as 'for the life of the vehicle. i recognise its difficult to catch everything, plus when it is removed it needs to be kept in an airtight vessel as its hydroscopic.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (12th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Waterless coolant wont make it run cooler.

Keep in mind the other aspects of a cooling system. No point in raising the boiling temperature to levels that you engine is already damaged at. Also keep in mind increasing boiling point or any temperature will increase system pressure so you are still at factory limits unless a high psi cap is used.

For the most part the glycol or coolant is mostly for corrosion protection. While it does help with temperature properties so does a pressurised system so they work hand in hand. The coolant, water or even the "waterless" coolant is only a median to carry the heat to the heat exchanger. At best you might get 12 degrees differential across a radiator. So if any other part of the system is not coping it is not really the coolant at fault.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

mudnut (12th October 2017), Touses (13th October 2017)

Page 83 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast