Thread: TD42 - All Variants Aussie Water Thermostats

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    mudski maybe you have a thermostat that is stuck open , so that in winter the coolant is circulating too fast and cooling the motor down and in summer if the coolant circulates to fast it cannot shed heat quick enough as it moves through the radiator to fast ( although this usually only happens when the thermostat is completely removed ) . mb do you have a cabin pollen filter , just thinking it might be blocked , you might still have reasonable air flow as there might be a bypass around the filter and possibly the heater core , its been a while but when i fitted my cabin pollen filter i think i remember that air was able to flow under it . so basically you might not be getting enough air flow thru the heater core to heat the cabin .
    His Gu doesn't have a pollen filter, I can confirm this as I helped inspect his heater box as a/C drain was blocked. I believe in Australia some on the y61 patrols were never released with pollen filters...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah my 2011 gu didnt have a pollen filter so i just bought one and cut the slot out where it goes and it just slides into position . there have been posts about it in the past as others had done it as well . i just thought it might be a posibility as to why mb's heater dosent work ,and on that , how did the heater core look . others in the past have have said that theirs have blocked up and they have cleaned them , some by removing them completely from the car and some whilst it is still in the car although i can't recall how.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nipagu7 View Post
    mudski maybe you have a thermostat that is stuck open , so that in winter the coolant is circulating too fast and cooling the motor down and in summer if the coolant circulates to fast it cannot shed heat quick enough as it moves through the radiator to fast ( although this usually only happens when the thermostat is completely removed ) . mb do you have a cabin pollen filter , just thinking it might be blocked , you might still have reasonable air flow as there might be a bypass around the filter and possibly the heater core , its been a while but when i fitted my cabin pollen filter i think i remember that air was able to flow under it . so basically you might not be getting enough air flow thru the heater core to heat the cabin .
    Nah Ive tried four different brand stats. Same result. currently using a Tridon Hi flow one as it seems to cool faster is the warmer months.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    The heaters centainly not cold sorry gents and just a few weeks ago cleaned the external heater core only too. Just know in my Chev that switching from 75C to 88C made the heater insanely nice jumping back in the cab from say icy paddock work.
    It is my belief too that old diesel donks seem to prefer running hotter than 76.5C coasting along at best I’m experiencing this winter.
    Our 8.3 work Cummins sits all day on 85C and so too I believe our Louisville tipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will be interesting to see the results if you decide to change it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MB (25th August 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back home now to Family GU Land. Certainly was cold Acco 8.3L swagging western goldfields last nights -2C. Coupe clear stars morning dunny dumping buckets froze a 5mm crust :-)
    Appears we’re jumping back up into double digit ambient temps finally back here but will still find time next week to muck around with the TD27 88C as first test

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Rossco (24th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick pot test on the TD27 88C.
    (21200-05D12)
    Interesting results, isn’t fully open until 98C and fully closed again until 83C.
    Was expecting the 83C shutdown (5C below setting) but 97-98C until full open is right up there Russia :-)

On the way back down now to 83C fully closed again.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (25th August 2019), MudRunnerTD (16th February 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installed results are in now for the TD27 88C thermostat folks.
    A quick snippet below of ambient temps again for not confusing here hot climate TD42 owners.

Most noticeable was letting it idle for 1 hour after being installed.
    It sits exactly on 88C whereas prior would winter idle at 60C as per my previous posts pictures.

Coasting down big hills here the lowest it would get was 86C whereas previously it could get as low as 56C found.

Giving it an absolute flogging at horrible 550EGT’s up our biggest hills the highest I could get it was 94C.

Basically cruises along at 100kmph flatish highways at these ambient temps hovering between 88C <>90C depending on pedal load and recovers incredibly quick to 88C.
    Heater is insanely good now and I swear this old truck has more responsive power than before up here in this fresh mountain air

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (25th August 2019), MudRunnerTD (16th February 2020), Rossco (28th August 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: Tested the removed tropical 76.5C thermostat earlier whilst letting the new 88C get up to idle temperature.

Ever so slowly started opening at 77C.

By 84C still had a long way to go.

Appeared at its max open by 91C

Cooling down was still a long way open at 71C

Didn’t really look fully shut until sub 68C.

I do have a new spare summer 76.5C that I will test to see its results for comparison ASAP.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (16th February 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ran the pot test on a brand new OEM tropical 76.5C.
    Nearly identical movement on the rising temperatures as per above although quite interesting that it was at full shut again at 74C unlike the old one at 68C shut!

Just goes to show I guess there’s more to thermostats than being black and white issues like full open or shut stuck!
    Quite the 6C variance in closing times found here :-(

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: Just ran a final pot test on the TD42 OEM 82C. Dare I say this one might end up being my southern regions winter & summer all rounder choice hopefully

Seemed to start opening a whisker late at 84C.

Half open by 88C.

Full open by 92C.

On its way down half open by 80C.

Full closed by 77C again as apparently should be OEM 5C below manufactured opening set temps I believe?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (16th February 2020), Rossco (28th August 2019)

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast