OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone had issues with their Provent 200 catch can?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacho86 View Post
    You tube clip from western filters / man filter may explain

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FrvciHy2wD8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea that's weird. To me it should be the other way..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacho86 View Post
    You tube clip from western filters / man filter may explain

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FrvciHy2wD8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's exactly what I followed when I installed it. I know that's what the instructions say, but logically it is backwards. It's the only catch can in their lineup that uses that inlet/outlet combination.

1999 GU RD28Ti; mechanical injector pump, 5kBt Webasto circulation heater, 33" Yokohama Geolander I/T, SaaS boost & EGT gauges, 2" Ironman suspension...more to come

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SiberianPatrol For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (2nd January 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its not backwards. Its designed so the oil runs down the element and into the drain port. If you run the pipes the other way only half the filter would be used.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had mine for years without a problem. You do need to make sure you empty it regularly. The more blow by - the more often you need to empty it. Also, I clean the filter each time I empty it, with turps.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (5th January 2016), foggs (23rd September 2016), MEGOMONSTER (17th September 2016), relyimah (5th January 2016), Sherro (18th September 2016), Sir Roofy (23rd September 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianPatrol View Post
    I took the Patrol to a turbo shop a couple of days back because I was leaking oil in the intake, pre-intercooler. This is the same outfit that replaced my turbo in September, so the turbo itself is under warranty. After inspection and disassembly, they were convinced that it was my catch can (Provent 200) leaking oil back into the intake.

Their reasoning was that logically, the heavier oil falls to the bottom of the can and lighter air rises, thus giving the separation that you need, but the outlet (return) for the clean air is on the bottom of the can. After looking at the complete Provent product line, the 200 is the only catch can with this kind of setup - all of their others have inlet and outlet up high on the can.

We also found 3 points on the intake where it wasn't completely sealed, so we fixed those as well, and they were convinced that the combination of dirty air, plus the bad setup on the Provent, were the culprits for the oil leaking into the intake. After doing some quick research on the internet, I found that other have had problems with it as well, but on different vehicles. We "fixed" the Provent - i.e. removed the blow-off valve near the outlet hose and swapped the inlet/outlet hoses.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any problems with their Provent 200 leaking oil into the intake, or do these guys really just not know what they are talking about?
    Hey mate i have to agree, iv been searching for this very issue. I have the stainless mesh version, arrows say in top out bottom but as others have said oil goes down and accumulating then to drain, BUT as this captured oil is going passed the outlet to the drain its getting sucked back through system. It would make sense to have the heavy wet side in the compartment that goes to drain, (more surface area on lower can body to cool) allowing the cleaned lighter air out the top.
    ive just swapped my hoses to outlet top.
    Last edited by V9X; 25th September 2016 at 08:23 PM.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Mudski has said. The fitting instructions are correct as it is designed to use the entire face of the filter and to ensure that the pressure relief valve works as designed. I would suggest that the Provent is probably not the cause of your problem, as it is probably the most popular unit out there, and not many people report having issues with them. I would check your hoses to ensure one is not pinched or has not collapsed internally causing a pressure build-up.
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 18th September 2016 at 08:24 AM.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

MEGOMONSTER (17th September 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i could be wrong with my opinion, its not the first time, the design is whats gets me head scratchin as i previously said, there was oil getting into the outlet... the only way i could get unit to fit was a slight lean favoring oil to go towards outlet, but specs said up 45deg from vertical was ok, specs also saying the 200 is rated for 350hp, so velocity should be within spec.
    A problem i can see now reversing hoses without valve modification, under vacuum bottom outlet could maybe close and allow pressure buildup(not good) so have corrected the hoses.
    only thing different is i have the steel mesh type insert, which in theory should work well,,?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12