Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Really!!!

A shackle failure is pretty rare! Operator error I reckon! I have seen a shackle fail only once and that was when it was set but they put the pin through and did not do it up...

Have you got a link to a follow up story Krisso? Keen to read it if you do mate.
    Speculating, it could simply have been too small for the load. I have come across guys using shackles you would attach to the emerg chain on a 6x4 trailer heading to the local tip once a year - you know the ones you can buy in a hardware store.

If the shackle was correctly rated, yes, agree, would be very unusual.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Winnie (18th June 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Really!!!

A shackle failure is pretty rare! Operator error I reckon! I have seen a shackle fail only once and that was when it was set but they put the pin through and did not do it up...

Have you got a link to a follow up story Krisso? Keen to read it if you do mate.
    Yea thats what ive read on one of the sources.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seen one shackle failure (a rated 3 ton) and IMHO it was because the pin was 'loose'.
    We never found the pin and the shackle was more like a "C" than a "U"

Shackles only achieve their rating if the pin is tightened to the appropriate torque and not "finger tight and back a quarter".

I might add that I am also bemused when I see people drive around with rated shackles dangling off their front recovery points were the Shackles are constantly bombarded by rocks or getting smashed into boulders and step ups on the tracks.
    Not the way to treat a vital link in a recovery IMHO...
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th June 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shackles only achieve their rating if the pin is tightened to the appropriate torque and not "finger tight and back a quarter".

ET, I did a quick check on this as I have two crane lifts tomorrow, and have a special class rigger/dogger to supervise the lift and complete the lift plan. Now I understand we are talking pulling a load , not lifting when doing vehicle recovery, but the operation of the shackle remains the same.

Both QLD Worksafe and SA Worksafe both state in their training and certification docs that shackles are to be tightened to 'finger tight then backed off half a turn' to prevent pin jamming. Interestingly, a training document from a UK lift organisation states the pin is to be tightened using a 'small bar thru the hole' of the pin, but does not state a tightening torque.

I can't find anywhere that lists a pin torque required to achieve load rating on a shackle - do you have this in writing you could share? My training has also been in the finger tight then half a turn release, so would be more than keen to know if there is something else I should be doing. Checking with my special class rigger, his training also defines the shackle as finger tight, released half a turn, to counter the effects of a sling rotating and jamming the pin in the shackle body. Under this process the shackle is deemed to be compliant and capable of lifting the intended load, provided it is appropriately rated.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hiya PeeBee

My bad perhaps I shouldn't have used the term "rating" it probably should have been breaking strain...

The following is the gist of some of the documents I have here which admittedly aren't exactly the latest 'cept the Bullivants one:-)

From Bullivants http://www.bullivants.com/FlippingBo...ublication.pdf...
    The pin is screwed tightly with the collar and the pin is
    bedded evenly on the surface of the shackle eye.

From CM Rigging...
    -How tight does the pin need to be?
    The pin must be tightened hand tight or until pin
    head is fully seated against the body of the shackle.
    It may be necessary to tighten an additional 1/8 turn
    to ensure proper engagement. Do not back the
    pin off the body of the shackle
    MOUSE TAIL SHACKLE IF IT REMAINS IN
    PLACE FOR ANY EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME.
    THIS WILL PREVENT PIN FROM BACKING OUT

From an internal publication on Rigging Fundamentals (source unknown) for our restraint and anchoring applications...
    Shackles shall not be used if the pin cannot be completely seated.
    The pin need be only hand tight for lifting.
    Use only shackles with screw pin, round pin with cotter should not be used.
    Screw pin shackles shall not be used if the pin can roll under load and unscrew

Disclaimer... I don't do Crane Lifts and I am not a Rigger, Doggy or Craney and don't have any issue at all with how any Statutory bodies indicate how equipment is to be used for lifting IE if they say it can be backed off then I have no probs with that.

As I do not have any of the above training or quals I therefore use gear as per the manuf or supplier recommendations/suggestions/practices IE all the screw pin shackles I use in restraining, anchoring or for handling any of my gear are rated, tightened and moused.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 19th June 2017 at 01:43 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... should also add that in no way do I 'disagree' with any Riggers or the 'back it off 1/2 a turn' deal for lifting.
    Lifting is their world and I bow to their expertise and the practices that are endorsed for those applications.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th June 2017), PeeBee (19th June 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Hiya PeeBee

My bad perhaps I shouldn't have used the term "rating" it probably should have been breaking strain...

The following is the gist of some of the documents I have here which admittedly aren't exactly the latest 'cept the Bullivants one:-)

From Bullivants http://www.bullivants.com/FlippingBo...ublication.pdf...
    The pin is screwed tightly with the collar and the pin is
    bedded evenly on the surface of the shackle eye.

From CM Rigging...
    -How tight does the pin need to be?
    The pin must be tightened hand tight or until pin
    head is fully seated against the body of the shackle.
    It may be necessary to tighten an additional 1/8 turn
    to ensure proper engagement. Do not back the
    pin off the body of the shackle
    MOUSE TAIL SHACKLE IF IT REMAINS IN
    PLACE FOR ANY EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME.
    THIS WILL PREVENT PIN FROM BACKING OUT

From an internal publication on Rigging Fundamentals (source unknown) for our restraint and anchoring applications...
    Shackles shall not be used if the pin cannot be completely seated.
    The pin need be only hand tight for lifting.
    Use only shackles with screw pin, round pin with cotter should not be used.
    Screw pin shackles shall not be used if the pin can roll under load and unscrew

Disclaimer... I don't do Crane Lifts and I am not a Rigger, Doggy or Craney and don't have any issue at all with how any Statutory bodies indicate how equipment is to be used for lifting IE if they say it can be backed off then I have no probs with that.

As I do not have any of the above training or quals I therefore use gear as per the manuf or supplier recommendations/suggestions/practices IE all the screw pin shackles I use in restraining, anchoring or for handling any of my gear are rated, tightened and moused.
    OK, seems there are different recommendations for different industries and countries. I for one will be sticking to the regs applicable in Australia. I think that a shackle that is screwed in to finger tight then backed off half a turn has more than enough bearing area to cater for the intended load. Additionally there is sufficient thread friction and 'binding' of the interfaces to ensure the shackle/pin remains essentially static. On the other hand, if its simply screwed in 'a bit' and not bedded down, then you are asking for trouble. It would pay also to check the condition of the shackled joint periodically during a recovery to ensure that the pin has not migrated from the shackle body. How this could happen is a bit of a mystery to me, but maybe there are circumstances where it could happen.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    snip... I for one will be sticking to the regs applicable in Australia.
    Absolutely agree Cobber.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    ....I might add that I am also bemused when I see people drive around with rated shackles dangling off their front recovery points were the Shackles are constantly bombarded by rocks or getting smashed into boulders and step ups on the tracks. Not the way to treat a vital link in a recovery IMHO...
    I'd be guilty recently of this too ET :-( Thankyou as always mate for your awakening advice :-) To be honest it's the first time I've ever done it as a point for new winch hook, quite crazy really now 'I see' and in the shed here as a result of your post reassessing/removing a poor rushed last trip choice made.
    image-3208984084.jpg
    Even sillier is that this chosen big hook doesn't need bow shackles to straps regularly so they'll be packed away safely now for when may be mate. Cheers again !

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

the evil twin (20th June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,754 Times in 8,577 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And then you get people making their own points which is scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast