OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Best place to buy Warn Hi mount parts?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Additionally, if you increase the hP into the drive train you increase the torque capability of the winch, which then is in excess if the gear train strength. Over time the shaft either breaks, the gears wear excessively and the bronze bugs elongates. At the end of the day the 8000lb is a fast winch built for a rating of 8000lbs max pull. I have owned 2 of them and found them a bit small for a loaded vehicle. Hence why I don't have one anymore.

If you go the bigger motor, run double pulls then I think you will have a moderate robust recovery winch that pulls at moderate amps, so the duty rating will go up. For me th bidets advantage of this winch is rope length and no tie bars across the drum to break. Going the stronger shaft is a good path also as you are going to reduce unit stress on the shaft, however if the winch is typically used say once every 3 yrs then I would probably go the tapped shaft route and gain a bit of certainty. Saying that, I used my 8000lb unit and never had a problem with the circlip.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 30th June 2018 at 09:28 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudski (30th June 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So for us (me) high-mount-naive individuals ...
    In layman's terms whats the pros with the high mount ???
    From my limited understanding they can fit more rope on ( in contrast to a regular low mount ) and by its default state , it is 8000 pound and is meant for double rope pulls ?
    So is it the spool speed on them that attracts such price and attention ?

Sent from Note 5 using TapaPro
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me Hodgey mate yes! Faster and no rope bind up as Phil mentioned, they are great! Double line pulls are a slow PIA, here is a picture of 40LM of 11mm rope on the +76mm spool with the winch spaced back 10mm from bar, heaps of winding space left, even if angle winching. Did stuff the gears on an earlier stock one I owned and had to hold the free spool rod in manually every use thereafter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (30th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the biggest advantages of a high mount is the brake which is external and sooo much better than a low mount they just hold rock solid. Also don't have the problem of heat build up in the drum which isn't good for rope. Also the difference in having solid gear drive as opposed to planetary gears in a low mount is a big difference and advantage. Crazy the difference in a warn xd9000 low mount and a high mount both running the exact same 6hp warn motor high mounts just do it faster and easier must lose so much efficiency in the planetary gears i reckon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Hodge (30th June 2018), MudRunnerTD (30th June 2018), mudski (30th June 2018), Winnie (30th June 2018)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,295 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @MB no negativity sensed mate. I know what you are like and are always thinking of family and safety. As stated this will be a slow build up. If coin permits, I will go down the stronger brake shaft option for sure.
    Now. How do I remove the brake shaft from the casing? Just knock in the shaft through the casing from the drum side?
    IMG_0821.JPG
    Good to see it’s never seen moisture in there too. All clean grease.
    Also. Thinking of removing the gear from the top hat so I can clean it better. Just knock the shaft through the hat?
    IMG_0822.JPG

Sent from my crapPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 4wd Shed did all mine mate, I keep a printed copy of this in the truck always!
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to lift this locking plate up as 8r holds the end of the brake shaft. Then you cam lever out the shaft as it is only held by an oil seal then

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is what the plate looks like and it locks in the brake shaft and also the drum

Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    One of the biggest advantages of a high mount is the brake which is external and sooo much better than a low mount they just hold rock solid. Also don't have the problem of heat build up in the drum which isn't good for rope. Also the difference in having solid gear drive as opposed to planetary gears in a low mount is a big difference and advantage. Crazy the difference in a warn xd9000 low mount and a high mount both running the exact same 6hp warn motor high mounts just do it faster and easier must lose so much efficiency in the planetary gears i reckon.

Whats the difference in the gear reduction of high mount to low mount? The planetary boxes are designed for minimal size but still give good strength. The teeth are similar in size from memory. The hi mount is renowned for line speed for sure, whereas the low mounts are slow but torquey, and yes there is a reduction in efficiency thru the planetary box, but I would not say the low mount box is a weakness. The higher line speed will result in higher amps if the gear reduction is not as great as the low mount, which I think we all know anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    This is what the plate looks like and it locks in the brake shaft and also the drum

Also another free mod worth doing is bolting the plate to the housing to secure it a bit better. The only thing that holds it is it sitting in the groove in the upper housing, probably but fine just another extra sure mod to do. .

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast