Page 58 of 135 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Chev

Thanks
    Thanked 11,322 Times in 4,991 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Mat, thanks heaps again mate, truly appreciate your help with this. I found the link again that scared me initially to post before. https://www.valvesonline.com.au/references/threads/ It was the 55 versus 60 degree angle that spooked me. Picked up the yanky oil thermo from Burson's legends on the way home from work tonight. Really does seem well made, just was worried about the cast aluminium threads being buggered up from my mechanical butchering hands:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah like I said one may be a little more snug but should still work for what you want. Just use some form of thread sealant wind in as far as you can by hand and just nip it up. They dont need to be super tight.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MB (28th February 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Mat!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark I have spoken to Scottie at BD and explained the temps I have experienced - he said BD are getting some "new" viscous fan hubs - apparently lock up better to provide more air flow. Waiting for further info. Will post. Regards Peter.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterc99 For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd March 2017), PeeBee (3rd March 2017), Ropes (12th March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterc99 View Post
    Hi Mark I have spoken to Scottie at BD and explained the temps I have experienced - he said BD are getting some "new" viscous fan hubs - apparently lock up better to provide more air flow. Waiting for further info. Will post. Regards Peter.
    Hmm, I spoke to Greg on Wednesday and talking about my heating issues and he indicated that he was removing the viscous coupling from many vehicles as he had a machined adapter that brought the fan to the same position as the coupler would.

He did indicate that he was having a run of dud viscous couplers. Made no mention of any 'new' units.

Cheers

Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

Ropes (12th March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, back on the bonnet pressure regions over the bonnet band wagon.

I got my Manometer the other day. It does gauge and differential pressure measurements. I hooked a line to the top and the bottom of the intercooler and took some measurements, interesting results.

At 80Km/h I was getting a max differential pressure across the intercooler of 0.13 " of H20 which in my mind is a pooftenth of nothing. From my understanding this almost indicates that the pressure on top of the intercooler is near the same as that underneath that thus indicates that stuff all air flow would be going through my intercooler core.

So I remove the input to the manometer from under neath the intercooler and leave it at ambient. The highest pressure I was getting at the top of the intercooler alone was 0.58 " of H20 so this effectively heaps underneath I was getting 0.45" of H20 underneath.

So from these measurements, the top of the intercooler is either a low pressure region due to where it is on the bonnet, or the inside of the engine bay is relative high pressure.

More playing to come.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    Hey, back on the bonnet pressure regions over the bonnet band wagon.

I got my Manometer the other day. It does gauge and differential pressure measurements. I hooked a line to the top and the bottom of the intercooler and took some measurements, interesting results.

At 80Km/h I was getting a max differential pressure across the intercooler of 0.13 " of H20 which in my mind is a pooftenth of nothing. From my understanding this almost indicates that the pressure on top of the intercooler is near the same as that underneath that thus indicates that stuff all air flow would be going through my intercooler core.

So I remove the input to the manometer from under neath the intercooler and leave it at ambient. The highest pressure I was getting at the top of the intercooler alone was 0.58 " of H20 so this effectively heaps underneath I was getting 0.45" of H20 underneath.

So from these measurements, the top of the intercooler is either a low pressure region due to where it is on the bonnet, or the inside of the engine bay is relative high pressure.

More playing to come.

Rainsey, I have to agree with you that your static pressure under the bonnet is your issue, so you need to find a way of venting it. If you compared the open area of the radiator to the open area of the bonnet scoop its simple to see which would provide the least resistance, assuming that the air is going thru the radiator. This is interesting stuff for sure. I have not seen the installation of the chev turbo under a GU bonnet, but would guess its pretty cramped. Can you induce some flow like a venturi device of sorts or simply hang a couple of 3=4" ducts that scoop air from the front of the vehicle and expell it out under the car - to encourage a draft of sorts - sounds crude but might be all thats needed.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Rainsey, I have to agree with you that your static pressure under the bonnet is your issue, so you need to find a way of venting it. If you compared the open area of the radiator to the open area of the bonnet scoop its simple to see which would provide the least resistance, assuming that the air is going thru the radiator. This is interesting stuff for sure. I have not seen the installation of the chev turbo under a GU bonnet, but would guess its pretty cramped. Can you induce some flow like a venturi device of sorts or simply hang a couple of 3=4" ducts that scoop air from the front of the vehicle and expell it out under the car - to encourage a draft of sorts - sounds crude but might be all thats needed.
    Ha yes, this was my thought. One thing I have not stated is that I have lifted the rear of the bonnet by about 10mm in naive hope that it would assist the flow from under the bonnet out through the back thus reducing no only the heat but also the intern pressure under the bonnet.

Re the space under the bonnet, I feel there is actually more space under the bonnet with the V8 than with the original ZD30.

Like I said, now I have this toy I will be boring you all for hours with what I find.
    Stay tuned...

Rainsey

13. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (3rd March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an awesome gadget Rainsey, please do keep us posted mate! Not to get you spending more money but it would be cool to see 2x cheapo mechanical temp guages zip tied along each hose reading the temps at each different pressure locations you test maybe? Once you've tested the outer bonnet pressure zones it would also show ambient temp wind incoming on the day of graphing data I'm thinking? Like Mythbusters I guess with their first 'control test' before all others :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got bored waiting for the Mrs to get ready for a wedding this arvo so knocked this up as part of my puter training that may be helpful Rainsey mate. No doubt I've got some of the locations and others wrong so yell out if you want the Excel file and Ai GU files.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 58 of 135 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast