Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loosing power when towing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hay mate, sorry to hear you are still having issues.
    From your first post
    On arriving home thinking it could be a transmission problem I took it to my guy to check out he could not find any problems so suggested it was an engine fault.
    And your last post
    now advise me the problem is the transmission and nothing to do with their work,

Sounds like you are being given the run around. As @Bidja suggests, it sound like a boost problem. I have the same motor and gearbox and monitor my water temp and gearbox temp with aftermarket guages. The closest I have had to your symptoms is pulling a fully loaded camper trailer up a large long hill here at Collie in WA. I hit 120deg water and 90 deg gearbox and was unable to exceed 40K to get over the top. It turned out to be the viscous hub and partially blocked radiator. Swapped the lot out, including water oump and all perfect now. The point I am trying to make is that there is gearbox cooling in the radiator and if the cooling system is not performing properly it can effect the transmission, in fact can kill it if you burn the transmission fluid. Anyway it sounds like a vacuum or boost leak to me and maybe not a transmission issue. It only takes a very small vacuum or boost leak to throw the entire system out a wack. make sure the transmission mechanics have a good reputation and get a written assesment if you can. Same for engine mechs. You shoudnt have to continually pay for new seals and things for no result.
    Good luck with it mate and hopefully you are back to noemal for Christmas. Keep us informed of progress plaese
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

Avo (19th December 2018), Bidja (19th December 2018), The Baz (20th December 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,
    In regard to the engine MTQ in Dandenong came recommended and with their reputation I presumed they would know their stuff. With the cooling system the radiator was replaced, system flushed and new thermostat fitted last year prior to blowing the donk. I presume the thermostat was fitted to the new engine I know the radiator hoses were replaced. The motor was replaced by Riverina Nissan in Wagga Wagga I had no other option as we were a long way from Pakenham Victoria, the cost was what I was thinking plus with the replacement being carried out by a Nissan Dealer I thought would give me an edge. I even made contact with Nissan Customer Service asking their advice what steps should be taken to stop the grenade going off again, the young Lady who contacted me sounded like she was only a couple of years older than the Patrol, she advised me that herself and her Supervisor took exception to me calling the engine a grenade, I asked if she new the history of such engine she did not so my advice was to get on to Mr Google and find out. The conversation finished with because of the age of the vehicle no compensation would be offered, I then asked again what advice Nissan would give to me to stop the engine failing again, her only advice was "Nissan stand by there product"!!!!!
    In regard to the current situation I do not have any gauges fitted but will look at those options, the temperature spike was probably caused by the transmission overheating, when the transmission fluid was checked it appears burnt and there are metal flecks in the fluid. I can't remember which seal was replaced because I was pissed off and if they had charged me for it the situation would have escalated. Anyhow I am between a rock and a hard place and being retired finding cash to splash is not easy. So I am back to AW Automatics in Ferntree Gully for the repairs, I have dealt with Andrew for many years prior to moving to Pakenham and he has always been honest and trustworthy.
    Thanks again for your input it is much appreciated
    Regards,
    Barry

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Baz For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (20th December 2018), mudski (20th December 2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12