Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Winches - Lowering Down versus Hauling Dead Vehicles Up

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that wallop on the rock shelf half way down the Link mate that wholey compressed the OEM bash plate (no ding) and caused the top/bottom seam to split.
    Remember we had to plumb my system externally from the filter into the forward sub tank filler to get up next pinch’s and out to flatter top country home ?
    It’s a GU ute ‘Coily’ issue as they are some 6” lower by design than our DX ‘leafy’ models and I’m looking to hybrid it somehow without going full aftermarket custom?
    Alternator GQ shield yes my friend, although still believe I can solve the already purchased Delco Remy 200amp, 130amp at idle Yanky Bus alternator debacle:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Looks good mark, top job. Don't overlook the load on the fairlead as it can be the primary reaction point of the pull. Adding the H/D fairlead assy will provide the support to a large degree
    Apologies Philstar, missed the edit there old mate! Nuffy me, what is a H/D acronym fairlead brother?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Was that wallop on the rock shelf half way down the Link mate that wholey compressed the OEM bash plate (no ding) and caused the top/bottom seam to split.
    Remember we had to plumb my system externally from the filter into the forward sub tank filler to get up next pinch’s and out to flatter top country home ?
    It’s a GU ute ‘Coily’ issue as they are some 6” lower by design than our DX ‘leafy’ models and I’m looking to hybrid it somehow without going full aftermarket custom?
    Alternator GQ shield yes my friend, although still believe I can solve the already purchased Delco Remy 200amp, 130amp at idle Yanky Bus alternator debacle:-)

I remember having to wait until the trees were cut down beside my vehicle just so i could get out the doors, yes, that tight track and fuel piping job in failing light does come back. Bit of a bugger about the tank height but I know you will resolve it. just a thought, but my rig is running a 300amp unit with 140amp at 500rpm avail, in fact its the same size as the chev 110amp unit, so if you mod it with the Quicktifier you only need to change the pulley to vee belt, which they will supply at no charge - that monster alternator is going to be painful at best. Only thing though the alternator does not have the vac pump - which would be the same issue with the monster??
    If you want to keep it i would try to fit it on the front of the engine. Since you have the beast 'on blocks' whip the radiator out and see what you can do, you are going to need the access for the bracket anyway. Doing a jackshaft is possible but remember nothing on that motor is flat, straight or square, and the mount points of opportunity are small and crappy - I have a bucket full of brackets in the corner of the garage from my attempts with the endless air pump - FAIL!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (13th September 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Apologies Philstar, missed the edit there old mate! Nuffy me, what is a H/D acronym fairlead brother?

The spare unit I have thats on the front and rear winches I have, with the 1" diverter bolts?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (13th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welds look Sik mate. Nice work. Only negative comment would be that it will act like a big bucket and hold a ship load of mud and stuff so need to consider how it will self drain??

Maybe drill a few drainage holes in the 10mm plate ?? Not sure. Getting there though mate. Nice one.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (13th September 2020), PeeBee (13th September 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reverse “Speed Holes” maybe I should’ve mentioned thanks Legends Agreed

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MB, here is the 300amp unit I have swapped into the truck. I still have the 110amp unit under the bench, so you are welcome to use it as a template if you wanted to, identical between the 110 and 300 frame sizes. I am running the 400amp quicktifier which you have also. Worth considering.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Out...72.m2749.l2649

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (13th September 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A massive thank you again @PeeBee Mate for the permanent trial gift of your “H/D Fairlead Assembly” self design.
    Can’t wait to collect and connect it one day in the not too distant future hopefully Legend

Certainly does look 17,000lb Sherpa worthy my friend!!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th September 2020), Rossco (15th September 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @MB, you are welcome. It takes the place of the standard fairlead, can take a straight thru or offset alum hawse and bolts up to the standard hawse points. The concept is to move a single 25mm hardened peg into one of 3 positions to divert your winch rope onto a different part of drum on the winch. the primary 'market' is low mount winches which have an annoying propensity to bust the tiebars holding the end plates together. The pin obviously needs to be repositioned without load on it, so the recovery may take you a minute or so longer per winch drum zone but you won't break the tiebars. Its all been run thru a stress analysis package and came up trumps first go. It also is worth noting that you are presenting the rope to the drum at 90 deg to the drum so it wraps correctly, instead of loading up on one side. its basically a rope alignment device.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (15th September 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some more safety/legality advice needed pretty please good folks!
    Designing this whole rear contraption on the fly was tonight shed thinking how it possibly could also be utilised to carry our AG bike at certain times if needed.
    Being an Extra Cab GU my new upgraded mountain adventures tray is planned to be much much shorter than it’s current WA touring 2.0m x 2.0m very comfy canvas bedroom.
    We nuttered out this wacky idea earlier in a rushed 2020 for our mobile work donga and seemed to get the kitchen platform safely and strongly off the ground away from critters.

Wacky concept now is for a mini say only 600mm ish extension on either side of the utes rear for a checker plate channel temporary add on adaption for the AG bike if tamer adventures were possibly planned.

Long story short, I do see tonight McGoogle images of motorbikes on vehicle rears but are they actually legal if non-protruding widths and taillights are all in check etc....?

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast