The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Drop box knocking noise

So ive removed the drop box as i have this knocking noise coming from there when i go over a speed hump at anything faster than snails pace. Even going over thise reflectors on the road it makes a noise.
    I can see the weld on the drop box is hitting the chassis.
    Just wondering whether to either grind back the weld a touch on the box or file back the section on the chassis.
    See pics. Kinda hard to see but the front and one side of the box has a wear mark on it and the chassis has a wear mark matching the box. One side and rearward section.
    Or should i weld up the box to take up the gap?
    If tappa allows me to put them up....
    uploadfromtaptalk1463280865578.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mudski; 15th May 2016 at 01:28 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aren't you meant to trim that bit of the chassis when fitting drop box?
    Last edited by Yendor; 15th May 2016 at 02:05 PM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Aren't you meant to cut that bit of the chassis out when fitting drop box?
    Not sure Rodney. I have had these fitted for nearly two years. I do remember something when I bought them about not having to cut the chassis....
    I was even thinking of simply putting a real thin washer where the single bolt goes into the chassis, horizontal way, just to move it just forward enough so it doesn't touch. Not sure if this is my root of this noise to be honest but I've changed everything else under the front end, the sound is coming from right here. And another member did mention in my build thread that they had the exact symptoms and this was the issue.
    Why its started to do it I'm not sure of. The other side does not make the sound. All bolts were in super tight too.
    as you can see in the pic its only just touching. I will stew over it this arvo maybe and either file this section back on the chassis or put a washer in, if I have one thin enough. I though to grind the weld back on the box, just enough, but then this might weaken the box.

Edit : If I use a washer this will throw out the geometries, only by a minute amount. So I think I will can that idea.
    Last edited by mudski; 15th May 2016 at 02:09 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Not sure Rodney. I have had these fitted for nearly two years. I do remember something when I bought them about not having to cut the chassis....
    I was even thinking of simply putting a real thin washer where the single bolt goes into the chassis, horizontal way, just to move it just forward enough so it doesn't touch. Not sure if this is my root of this noise to be honest but I've changed everything else under the front end, the sound is coming from right here. And another member did mention in my build thread that they had the exact symptoms and this was the issue.
    Why its started to do it I'm not sure of. The other side does not make the sound. All bolts were in super tight too.
    as you can see in the pic its only just touching. I will stew over it this arvo maybe and either file this section back on the chassis or put a washer in, if I have one thin enough. I though to grind the weld back on the box, just enough, but then this might weaken the box.

Edit : If I use a washer this will throw out the geometries, only by a minute amount. So I think I will can that idea.
    I just changed my first post to trim. Cut out make it seem like the whole lot needs to be removed.

The people I have spoken to recently regarding fitting say to square out and enlarge it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

mudski (15th May 2016)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just changed my first post to trim. Cut out make it seem like the whole lot needs to be removed.

The people I have spoken to recently regarding fitting say to square out and enlarge it.
    Thanks. I think this might be the way I will go....

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hopefully @mudrunner will see this thread and comment

I've been looking into fitting drop boxes to my vehicle and that's what they are telling me.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hopefully @mudrunner will see this thread and comment

I've been looking into fitting drop boxes to my vehicle and that's what they are telling me.
    Yeah i do remember something about certain boxes not requiring any chassis cutting. Not sure if this was what needed to be cut though on the boxes that do require it.
    I think ill get the Dremel out and ahave a bit off the chassis. Only needs a few mm at the most.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok. I ground back maybe a mm or so until the wear mark on the chassis was gone.
    All back together, gave the wheel a kick and no noise. Where it would prior. Here's hoping the noise is gone when i take it for a spin.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What brand of drop boxes? The Superior ones need that it cut square. I would cut some out of the chassis and not touch the drop box.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    What brand of drop boxes? The Superior ones need that it cut square. I would cut some out of the chassis and not touch the drop box.
    Cant remember tbh Darren. I think i got them from Roadrunner. All sorted now anyway. I Dremelled the chassis where it was touching. Went for a drive and its so mich quieter in the car now.
    Im not used to it.
    So thats done. Now onto the next thing on the list.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th May 2016)